Too many guns... would not have stopped is man

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Too many guns... would not have stopped is man

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 am

This man, as a boy, was dealt a bad hand and lived with many tragedies and disappointments. I am not excusing the evil he perpetrated.

It was reported this morning that he has been hearing voices to kill people. No gun law would have stopped that if he chose to act on it without an AR15. The voices of evil were winning in this mans life. This is one of the extreme tragedies of a fallen world.

The hope, for less crime, is never fewer guns... for man will kill with or without a gun. It is a spiritual problem.

Q - Where is the church?

A - Tucked away neatly in their nice built buildings, defining themselves by their friendliness not by their passion to reach the nations (including their own).

Speculation - This young man would have probably been neglected by the status quo SBC church today because he would not have fit in.

Q - Where is the church?

A - Absent in the marketplace. Not doing all they can to reach those hurting and troubled. I guess it is easier to make it about guns being removed instead of the gospel being inserted.

It is time to learn from this and see the church rise up and do all we can to stop the next guy who is out there thinking about such things. The church has the answers this young man needed and continues to need. Maybe the church needs the answers.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am

Jon Estes wrote:This man, as a boy, was dealt a bad hand and lived with many tragedies and disappointments. I am not excusing the evil he perpetrated.

It was reported this morning that he has been hearing voices to kill people. No gun law would have stopped that if he chose to act on it without an AR15. The voices of evil were winning in this mans life. This is one of the extreme tragedies of a fallen world.

The hope, for less crime, is never fewer guns... for man will kill with or without a gun. It is a spiritual problem.

Q - Where is the church?

A - Tucked away neatly in their nice built buildings, defining themselves by their friendliness not by their passion to reach the nations (including their own).

Speculation - This young man would have probably been neglected by the status quo SBC church today because he would not have fit in.

Q - Where is the church?

A - Absent in the marketplace. Not doing all they can to reach those hurting and troubled. I guess it is easier to make it about guns being removed instead of the gospel being inserted.

It is time to learn from this and see the church rise up and do all we can to stop the next guy who is out there thinking about such things. The church has the answers this young man needed and continues to need. Maybe the church needs the answers.


But there would have been less carnage without the AR15 that this 19 year old bought easily.

You are correct about church membership/involvement reduces crime. Here is but one study. Effects of Religious Practice on Crime Rates

Image

Image

Image

Image

Note that frequency of attendance is also important (not just membership). Note also that even more than weekly church attendance does not end violent crime by adolescences . But the approx 50% drop is worth it in terms of crime reduction (among many other things).

I also agree with your speculation above in red.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 am

So now the old “guilt trip” syndrome must be applied to churches, especially regarding the attendance of young people in church activities. What a crock! The mainliners are busy endorsing every lewd activity imaginable (even protesting that leads to looting, burning buildings and overturning police cars) and expect the young people to have any respect for the law or civility? Evangelicals have little impact because young people are tired of hearing about God's wrath concerning the sanctity of marriage, for instance, not to mention a glorious eternity in hell. The generation that set the norms in the 1960s-70s set the pattern in both society and the churches, at least the mainliners...if it feels good, do it. Chicago averaged 54 murders per week in 2017, many if not most among young people. Was that the church's fault or the culture with which the hippy-dippy crowd has cursed the nation? Most young people don't go to church, in the first place, so what to do? Most older people don't, either, at least with any consistency. The predominant guru worldwide with respect to “spiritual” matters is the Pope, who presides over one of the most corrupt institutions imaginable, especially with respect to social matters like pedophilia. The church becomes less important every day because it is more of the world than in it.
Jim
 
Posts: 3719
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am

Jim wrote:So now the old “guilt trip” syndrome must be applied to churches, especially regarding the attendance of young people in church activities. What a crock! The mainliners are busy endorsing every lewd activity imaginable (even protesting that leads to looting, burning buildings and overturning police cars) and expect the young people to have any respect for the law or civility? Evangelicals have little impact because young people are tired of hearing about God's wrath concerning the sanctity of marriage, for instance, not to mention a glorious eternity in hell. The generation that set the norms in the 1960s-70s set the pattern in both society and the churches, at least the mainliners...if it feels good, do it. Chicago averaged 54 murders per week in 2017, many if not most among young people. Was that the church's fault or the culture with which the hippy-dippy crowd has cursed the nation? Most young people don't go to church, in the first place, so what to do? Most older people don't, either, at least with any consistency. The predominant guru worldwide with respect to “spiritual” matters is the Pope, who presides over one of the most corrupt institutions imaginable, especially with respect to social matters like pedophilia. The church becomes less important every day because it is more of the world than in it.


Jim, I support churches as one means of controlling crime, not blaming them. Jon does as well.

You are badly misrepresenting “mainliners” (I assume you mean mainline Protestant churches). It is far from "if it feels good, do it”.

And to conflate Pope Francis with "the most corrupt institutions imaginable, especially with respect to social matters like pedophilia”, is ridiculous.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 am

Jim wrote:So now the old “guilt trip” syndrome must be applied to churches, especially regarding the attendance of young people in church activities. What a crock! The mainliners are busy endorsing every lewd activity imaginable (even protesting that leads to looting, burning buildings and overturning police cars) and expect the young people to have any respect for the law or civility? Evangelicals have little impact because young people are tired of hearing about God's wrath concerning the sanctity of marriage, for instance, not to mention a glorious eternity in hell. The generation that set the norms in the 1960s-70s set the pattern in both society and the churches, at least the mainliners...if it feels good, do it. Chicago averaged 54 murders per week in 2017, many if not most among young people. Was that the church's fault or the culture with which the hippy-dippy crowd has cursed the nation? Most young people don't go to church, in the first place, so what to do? Most older people don't, either, at least with any consistency. The predominant guru worldwide with respect to “spiritual” matters is the Pope, who presides over one of the most corrupt institutions imaginable, especially with respect to social matters like pedophilia. The church becomes less important every day because it is more of the world than in it.


Jim,

No guilt trip intended. A cry to wake up... rise up... make a Christ difference... intended.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am

Jon Estes wrote:Q - Where is the church?
A - Tucked away neatly in their nice built buildings, defining themselves by their friendliness not by their passion to reach the nations (including their own).
Speculation - This young man would have probably been neglected by the status quo SBC church today because he would not have fit in.


I tend to agree with your overall assessment. There is a cultural subset of churches in this country that have become inwardly focused on providing religious entertainment rather than worship, and on marketing and promotion aimed at reaching members by offering faith as a product for personal benefit, rather than for what it is. But there are those who see their mission and purpose clearly, and make sacrifices to minister, in such a way that it preaches the gospel in a way that people can hear and understand. I am not sure that this individual would have been capable of understanding and responding to a church that attempted to reach him, though.

But facts are facts, and it is a fact that stricter gun laws lead to fewer mass shootings, and fewer gun related crimes, including fewer deaths by shooting. We have all of the evidence of that we need. Now it is a matter of will. When Americans get tired of having their kids murdered in the hallways and classrooms of their schools, the priority of fixing the problem will rise above all of the other political mishmash that keeps sensible people from being elected, and the new influx of state legislators and members of Congress will take the evidence and craft sensible gun legislation that protects the right to bear arms, and also protects ninth graders going to class on the third floor of their school.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8582
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Shores of the Great Lakes

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Are we saying in our country that the Second Amendment gun rights are more important than the lives of children? If so, that should send every pro-life Christian into the streets. Could our guns have become not just our expression of the Second Amendment but also our way to ignore the Second Commandment?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:Are we saying in our country that the Second Amendment gun rights are more important than the lives of children? If so, that should send every pro-life Christian into the streets. Could our guns have become not just our expression of the Second Amendment but also our way to ignore the Second Commandment?


I do not hear anyone saying such a thing. But your question follows a common spin used to blame the gun, not the shooter.

If we, the church, lived the second commandment much would be different.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm

All the charts, graphs, and polling mean absolutely nothing concerning the young people and the church. The young people have done far more to change the church than the church has done to change them. Check out the hip-hop praise teams that entertain the congregations with the swing-and-sway, bob-and-weave and mikes two inches from their non-singer mouths, and britches with holey knees. Churches hold multiple services so they can have one (maybe two) reserved for the young people, featuring twanging guitars and adolescent texts to three-chord tunes, along with drum-sets that have to be enclosed in glass cages, lest not a word be heard or understood. Check out the atmosphere in worship services, especially preachers dressed as if they're on their way to the beach and just dropped by. Churches hold special “super bowl” services to remark one of the most orgy-oriented events in the country, millionaires bashing in each others' brains and halftime shows that glorify nudity and obscene music with writhing bodies emulating whatever perversity is fashionable at the time. (Okay, I have to go on hearsay on that last because I don't watch it). Yet, I do watch at least some of the game so I indirectly contribute to an orgiastic defilement of the Lord's Day. The fad of the 1980s-90s was the rewriting of hymns so that they offend no one, especially women who tried to completely emasculate them, never mind that God is referenced exclusively in scripture as he. The church is on the verge of becoming an object of ridicule, not least because of TV-evangelist-millionaires and the Pope, who can't make up his mind if homosexual behavior is good or bad, and whose congregants have left him long lost in the dust. There are a lot of churches that do good things, food programs and help for victims of weather anomalies, for instance, but fail miserably in getting out their message because they have no message or it's been so watered down that folks just laugh. I'm old enough to remember the “Blue Laws.” Anybody else?
Jim
 
Posts: 3719
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:Are we saying in our country that the Second Amendment gun rights are more important than the lives of children? If so, that should send every pro-life Christian into the streets. Could our guns have become not just our expression of the Second Amendment but also our way to ignore the Second Commandment?

I do not hear anyone saying such a thing. But your question follows a common spin used to blame the gun, not the shooter.


Sure it is the sin in the shooter's heart in the first instance. Even his background does not exonerate him. But until the church (or the Holy Spirit) ends sin, our country (though of our laws and law enforcement) should attempt to prevent these killings and limit the carnage if they do occur. God wants us to bring about a better Kingdom on earth.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:Are we saying in our country that the Second Amendment gun rights are more important than the lives of children? If so, that should send every pro-life Christian into the streets. Could our guns have become not just our expression of the Second Amendment but also our way to ignore the Second Commandment?


I do not hear anyone saying such a thing. But your question follows a common spin used to blame the gun, not the shooter.

If we, the church, lived the second commandment much would be different.


Just taking the logic of protecting the Second Amendment versus protecting children. Guess we would prefer to protect that rather than re-enact Reagan's ban on assault weapons, the choice in all the major school shootings of the past two years. Guess having such an anti-government and anti-society weapon is more important than children, so we lie when we say we are for protecting all life.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Yahoo News is reporting the following FBI statement:
On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting. Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami field office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami field office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time...

These types of breakdowns are an all too common denominator is some of these shootings.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Jon Estes wrote:I do not hear anyone saying such a thing.


Maybe not in the UAE. But in Florida, for the past few days, it's drawn out thousands. The same old tired lines that get dragged out by NRA-funded politicians don't seem to be penetrating the outcry, at least, not while the screams on the video recordings from inside the school, and the pictures of yet another high school student body evacuating a building, hands on the person in front, are still fresh.

It is hypocritical to claim any belief in the sanctity of human life, and not be an advocate for whatever limits on gun ownership are necessary to keep kids safe in their schools.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8582
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Shores of the Great Lakes

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Haruo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

"Open image in new tab" if it's not all showing.
Image Pretty sure Rev. Winfrey won't mind me posting this adaptation of her hymn written in response to the Las Vegas massacre last fall.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Haruo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Rvaughn wrote:Yahoo News is reporting the following FBI statement:
On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting. Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami field office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami field office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time...

These types of breakdowns are an all too common denominator is some of these shootings.

Much too frequent. Shouldn't ever happen, does all the time. This one sounds at first glance anyway like phoneroom sloppiness.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Rvaughn wrote:Yahoo News is reporting the following FBI statement:
On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting. Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami field office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami field office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time...

These types of breakdowns are an all too common denominator is some of these shootings.

Agreed!
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

BTW, Jon, your post title does not make sense to me. Suggest you re-write it or explain it.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

While I realize the failure of law enforcement on this one, as the son of an officer and as one who is a certified 911-communications officer, I think you need a dose of realism on just how thinly law enforcement is stretched in this country. Calls are received every day that are referred to officers and to the appropriate agencies. Because this young man did not have prior arrest record for violent offenses, he would not have been at the top of the list. In most states, the FBI has two or three offices (more or less depending on population density and the more recent criminal history. An FBI office is seldom more than 15 to 20 agents who cover wide areas. Where I live, the closest office is 60 miles away, so a report would have been put to the next agent with business in this area. Also, Parkland, FL, had a population in its incorporated area of approximately 30,000, so I doubt that more than 100 officers served in its department. When you break that down to administration, patrol, detective division, and allow for officers away attending various certification classes or advanced training, that probably left no more than 6 to 8 officers working any given shift. From what I have seen, the response times were remarkable and interagency aid was swift in coming. However, the blue line is very thin in most places in our country. I have worked in 911 when the shift sergeant was holding as many as three calls per officer awaiting dispatch because of more urgent situations. It's easy for those reports to slip through cracks or still be in a busy officer's in-basket.

Second, most schools in this country were not built to be easily secured. For example, my wife worked for a mostly rural school system where some buildings were located as much as 12 miles from the closest law-enforcement dispatch center. They were built where land was available, but often there are no physical barriers between schools and roads, neighborhoods, and businesses. Often schools are in multiple buildings with additional mobile units under covered walkways because local jurisdictions rent these rather than to build needed facilities, so doors are left open to provide those in the mobile units access to restrooms and other facilities. In addition, many schools have classes going to outdoor playgrounds, so doors are opened to allow classes to leave and enter. Often, students must go out and cross courtyards to go to gyms, shops, cafeterias that serve multiple grades from different buildings, and athletic facilities. Public streets may run through campuses. Security is almost impossible. To make buildings secure across our countries will cost billions of dollars in retrofitting and replacing current facilities, some of which have open ground-level windows because they are not air-conditioned. Securing campuses will not be easy of cheap.

Third, the current attitude toward public education in this country is to treat it as the dumping ground for those students who can't go elsewhere, so public school systems are often predominantly African-American and Hispanic. Parental involvement is very limited because the most active and concerned parents already have their children in private or charter schools. The abandonment of public education both to inadequate facilities and financial support leaves schools without the counselors and resource people to work with students like the perpetrator in the Florida situation.

Fourth, the absence of church people helping disadvantaged students leaves them even more vulnerable. I received a note today from a lady who goes to read to kindergartners each week. I have been in two churches that offered tutoring programs for those who were struggling academically. Others have worked to build mentoring relationships with troubled students. We need far more, not less in our current situation.

Sorry about the length of my rant.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:While I realize the failure of law enforcement on this one, as the son of an officer and as one who is a certified 911-communications officer, I think you need a dose of realism on just how thinly law enforcement is stretched in this country. Calls are received every day that are referred to officers and to the appropriate agencies. Because this young man did not have prior arrest record for violent offenses, he would not have been at the top of the list. In most states, the FBI has two or three offices (more or less depending on population density and the more recent criminal history. An FBI office is seldom more than 15 to 20 agents who cover wide areas. Where I live, the closest office is 60 miles away, so a report would have been put to the next agent with business in this area. Also, Parkland, FL, had a population in its incorporated area of approximately 30,000, so I doubt that more than 100 officers served in its department. When you break that down to administration, patrol, detective division, and allow for officers away attending various certification classes or advanced training, that probably left no more than 6 to 8 officers working any given shift. From what I have seen, the response times were remarkable and interagency aid was swift in coming. However, the blue line is very thin in most places in our country. I have worked in 911 when the shift sergeant was holding as many as three calls per officer awaiting dispatch because of more urgent situations. It's easy for those reports to slip through cracks or still be in a busy officer's in-basket.

Second, most schools in this country were not built to be easily secured. For example, my wife worked for a mostly rural school system where some buildings were located as much as 12 miles from the closest law-enforcement dispatch center. They were built where land was available, but often there are no physical barriers between schools and roads, neighborhoods, and businesses. Often schools are in multiple buildings with additional mobile units under covered walkways because local jurisdictions rent these rather than to build needed facilities, so doors are left open to provide those in the mobile units access to restrooms and other facilities. In addition, many schools have classes going to outdoor playgrounds, so doors are opened to allow classes to leave and enter. Often, students must go out and cross courtyards to go to gyms, shops, cafeterias that serve multiple grades from different buildings, and athletic facilities. Public streets may run through campuses. Security is almost impossible. To make buildings secure across our countries will cost billions of dollars in retrofitting and replacing current facilities, some of which have open ground-level windows because they are not air-conditioned. Securing campuses will not be easy of cheap.

Third, the current attitude toward public education in this country is to treat it as the dumping ground for those students who can't go elsewhere, so public school systems are often predominantly African-American and Hispanic. Parental involvement is very limited because the most active and concerned parents already have their children in private or charter schools. The abandonment of public education both to inadequate facilities and financial support leaves schools without the counselors and resource people to work with students like the perpetrator in the Florida situation.

Fourth, the absence of church people helping disadvantaged students leaves them even more vulnerable. I received a note today from a lady who goes to read to kindergartners each week. I have been in two churches that offered tutoring programs for those who were struggling academically. Others have worked to build mentoring relationships with troubled students. We need far more, not less in our current situation.

Sorry about the length of my rant.


Not a rant. Good points especially about public education and security thereof.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Here is a nice Reader's Digest article someone posted on Facebook:
One Teacher’s Brilliant Strategy to Stop Future School Shootings—And It’s Not About Guns
And every single Friday afternoon, after the students go home, she takes out those slips of paper, places them in front of her, and studies them. She looks for patterns...Chase’s teacher is not looking for a new seating chart or “exceptional citizens.” Chase’s teacher is looking for lonely children. She’s looking for children who are struggling to connect with other children. She’s identifying the little ones who are falling through the cracks of the class’s social life.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Too many guns would not have stopped is man

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm

KeithE wrote:BTW, Jon, your post title does not make sense to me. Suggest you re-write it or explain it.


Well you changed it a bit adding a ... . And I’m guessing you meant to say “this man” talking about Nicholas Cruz, not “is man”.

So are your countering the common RW claim that more guns would mean less guns murders? I would agree but surprised you say that. Or since the title of my post was “Too many guns” where I called for among other things much less guns in America, perhaps you are saying having less guns in America would not have stopped this shooter? I might agree to a point, but having the AR15 (which should be banned) easily purchased (which as a troubled young man, he shouldn’t have been able to do), made the carnage so much worse.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8666
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests