SOTU

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

SOTU

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 am

I am somewhat surprised there has been no comment concerning the SOTU.

I expected much of what I saw and heard. I liked what I heard much more than what I saw.

I did chuckle at the point where NP jerked around to see if any Dems were standing or applauding. As if she was taking names to begin the purge of traitors.

Yet, my greatest concern is not the current pro-Trump or anti-Trump rants but the future of politics in the USA.

We are a strong nation and we have been given many freedoms... many more than God gives us. Yet, we seem to be demanding freedoms which we do not need and are not healthy and some are plain wrong. Today's culture justifies it by making a human argument while intentionally leaving what we know God speaks to the subject aside.

Is it possible to begin being a vessel for unity so our grandchildren will not have to face such hostile politics - times 10?
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Re: SOTU

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 am

It was a state of the union. It's a nationally televised opportunity for the president to toot his own horn. I'm not really a fan of state of the union addresses, largely because the applause and standing ovations are so blatantly partisan, and they happen so frequently that they are meaningless. If something the President happened to say was really significant, or deserved the attention, it would be missed. I have actually had the privilege of sitting in the gallery for a SOTU speech, and I think I broke into a sweat by the time it was over from all of the up and down.

Trump is a very bland, boring, unremarkable speaker with annoying personal habits like squinting (because he won't wear glasses) and applauding his own remarks. Having to use a teleprompter magnifies these habits. I heard nothing but rambling comments, not surprising since he really has only one legislative accomplishment worthy of questionable note. The conservative fact check website more or less matches the New York Times in their analysis that he didn't lie at the rate that he normally does. But compared to his predecessors, his Pinocchio nose is ten times as long.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/01/factc ... ate-union/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/us/p ... -sotu.html

And just for good measure,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 8d92c04be8

The economic and job growth he touts is actually still more of President Obama's than his, since he hasn't yet been able to pass a budget, or any meaningful economic policy or legislation that affects the current economy. And if he wants to take credit for everything that's happened since he's been in office, job growth and economic growth have slowed somewhat since the last months of the Obama presidency. He didn't alter or touch Obama's standing orders, strategy or military command structure in place for fighting ISIS, and 70% of that job was done before his feet touched the White House.

If you're really one of his fans, you might want to hang on to a video recording of this particular address. Given the way the Mueller investigation is going, I predict that this will be the last time you will see Donald Trump addressing a joint session of Congress.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8709
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: SOTU

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 am

Sandy wrote:If you're really one of his fans, you might want to hang on to a video recording of this particular address. Given the way the Mueller investigation is going, I predict that this will be the last time you will see Donald Trump addressing a joint session of Congress.


I Guess Trump was correct. "Americans are dreamers too."
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 am

Re: SOTU

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:If you're really one of his fans, you might want to hang on to a video recording of this particular address. Given the way the Mueller investigation is going, I predict that this will be the last time you will see Donald Trump addressing a joint session of Congress.


I Guess Trump was correct. "Americans are dreamers too."


And a vast majority are dreaming of his conviction, impeachment and removal. Dreams really do come true, especially this one.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8709
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: SOTU

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Sandy wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:If you're really one of his fans, you might want to hang on to a video recording of this particular address. Given the way the Mueller investigation is going, I predict that this will be the last time you will see Donald Trump addressing a joint session of Congress.


I Guess Trump was correct. "Americans are dreamers too."


And a vast majority are dreaming of his conviction, impeachment and removal. Dreams really do come true, especially this one.


Ed: Sandy there is a difference in dreaming and fantasizing.
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

Re: SOTU

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm

No doubt I'm not fan of the President. But the applauding himself had to be one of the silliest things I've seen in many years in a political speech. The next runner up is making Rick Perry head of the department in the government that he couldn't remember in a previous debate. The circus has come to town, and it won't leave!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: SOTU

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I confess that I did not watch the speech, but I also have not been in the habit of watching many of them. They seldom have much to do with what actually happens in Washington.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7208
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: SOTU

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm

I seldom listen to the State of the Union address -- not at all in recent years. What follows I feel is true of most of them, not just this year's address by Trump.

I'm not a fan of the address itself, which is more of a party cheerleading session rather than the real state of the union. I'm not a fan of the sycophants who clap all the time, or the sourpusses who won't clap any of the time. I'm not a fan of using human props to prop up one's points. I'm not a fan of the other side's political responses to the addresses (which serve much the same purpose as the address), and I'm not a fan of the talking heads (TV commentators) who tell us what the president said as if we don't have sense enough to know.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: SOTU

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:Ed: Sandy there is a difference in dreaming and fantasizing.


Yes, there is and if you think this investigation isn't going to close in, and turn something up, you're fantasizing. They've issued four indictments, have two guilty pleas and cooperation, and a third voluntary cooperative ex-trump campaign official is about to turn evidence. That's not even a dream, that's reality and fact. :lol:
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8709
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: SOTU

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:25 am

Rvaughn wrote:I seldom listen to the State of the Union address -- not at all in recent years. What follows I feel is true of most of them, not just this year's address by Trump.

I'm not a fan of the address itself, which is more of a party cheerleading session rather than the real state of the union. I'm not a fan of the sycophants who clap all the time, or the sourpusses who won't clap any of the time. I'm not a fan of using human props to prop up one's points. I'm not a fan of the other side's political responses to the addresses (which serve much the same purpose as the address), and I'm not a fan of the talking heads (TV commentators) who tell us what the president said as if we don't have sense enough to know.


I have to second most of what you said. I can read the text of most SOTU in 10 to 15 minutes. This one took 80 minutes to deliver--a total waste of time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7208
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: SOTU

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Reading the transcript is far better than the torture of watching, though because of adversities I did see part of the SOTU. I was heartened by Trump's attempt to de-toxify the immigrant problem by allowing 1.8 million illegals to stay and work toward citizenship. Even though that represents amnesty, the dems will filibuster this move to death and the tea-party gang will hate it. Keeping Gitmo open for possible new uses such as jailing terrorists regardless of their operational locations was encouraging, also. Presidents would do better to just send a written SOTU to Congress and the public, as the Constitution allows.
Jim
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

My response was live on NPR

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Google The 1a Program and read the transcript for Jan 31. I was live nationally on air and proud of what I said.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:29 pm


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest