Immigrants are a Good Thing

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Immigrants are a Good Thing

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

But our President has used it to demagogue his way to be being elected.

Immigration when rationally viewed has been good economically for the Unites States both historically and now.

Economist Agree: 1,500 economists to Trump: Immigrants are good for the U.S. economy.
The Public (in large part) agrees.

Are immigrants more likely to be terrorists?

Source: White American men are a bigger domestic terrorist threat than Muslim foreigners.

Even the conservative CATO Institute says immigrants are not a terrorist threat Trump Is Wrong. Green-Card Immigrants Aren’t a Terrorist Threat

Are immigrants more likely to be criminals?? Immigration and crime: evidence from victimization data says NO but it has increased fear of crime (that Trump exploited).

I thought I’d bring this up here, as immigration is bound to be the center of attention in the weeks and months to come.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Immigrants are a Good Thing

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 am

KeithE wrote:But our President has used it to demagogue his way to be being elected.

Immigration when rationally viewed has been good economically for the Unites States both historically and now.

Economist Agree: 1,500 economists to Trump: Immigrants are good for the U.S. economy.

Source: White American men are a bigger domestic terrorist threat than Muslim foreigners.

Even the conservative CATO Institute says immigrants are not a terrorist threat Trump Is Wrong. Green-Card Immigrants Aren’t a Terrorist Threat

Are immigrants more likely to be criminals?? Immigration and crime: evidence from victimization data says NO but it has increased fear of crime (that Trump exploited).

I thought I’d bring this up here, as immigration is bound to be the center of attention in the weeks and months to come.

Ed: Note the new immigrants are catching up percentage wise according to the second chart. BTW how are NEW Immigrants defined in this study.

And when speaking of immigrants, it is important to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.
JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:38 am

JE Pettibone wrote:
KeithE wrote:But our President has used it to demagogue his way to be being elected.

Ed: Note the new immigrants are catching up percentage wise according to the second chart. BTW how are NEW Immigrants defined in this study.

And when speaking of immigrants, it is important to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.

Well here it comes again - a stream of questions whenever Ed does not like the DATA. Never will he say 'I better look into the matter and may have to adjust my thinking.’ Am I reading you wrong?

He asks me to research and take the time to answer his questions and then write it up for him. Then inevitably he will ask more questions.

Ed, you can start here which is the source of the plot above. And that source has many links to other studies summarizing those findings - all of which support the finding that immigrants are not more prone to commit crime that native-borns - in fact they are less likely to commit crime.

Another Fact Checker for you to read on this subject Donald Trump’s false comments connecting Mexican immigrants and crime

But to answer your questions briefly - It appears that NEW immigrants refers those that arrived the year before the x-axis year (i.e 2009 for the 2010 bars). If I had to guess why 2010 has a higher percentage of immigrants incarceration in 2010 (yet not as much as native-borns), I say it is because of the prison happy nation we have become and perhaps due to profiling. But I don’t have time to research that point. Perhaps you could look into that.

And spend more time reading: 1,500 economists to Trump: Immigrants are good for the U.S. economy. There is a lot of good that immigrants bring. Instead of scapegoated them, we need to embrace them.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 am

I'm not sure if it's important to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants. I don't have time right now to do the research, either. The distinction may be important or it may be trivial from the point of view of rates of incarceration or of terrorist acts. And among illegal immigrants it may or may not be important to draw a distinction between intentional illegal immigrants, unintentional ones (adult) and unintentional ones (kids; i.e. DACA raw material).
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues