Politics as usual

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Politics as usual

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Democrats drop lawsuit aimed at keeping scandalized GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold on ballot

Backstory: Texas Rep. Blake Farenthold was sued for sexual harassment and used $84,000 of taxpayer money to settle the claim.
Seeking maximum pain from the collapse of Rep. Blake Farenthold's career in Congress, Texas Democrats sued Wednesday to force Republicans to keep his name on the ballot.

"Texas Democrats will not stand idle while Republicans rig the ballot," Texas Democratic Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa said in announcing a legal effort Wednesday to keep Farenthold's name on the ballot. "Only voters have the power to choose who leads our state and nation, not politicians and party officers in backroom decisions. Last we checked, this was Texas, not Russia."

Texas Republicans gain no moral ground for wanting Farenthold removed from the ballot, but Texas Democrats reveal a greater interest in politics than moral high ground by trying to keep a scandalized sexual harasser on the ballot!
Rvaughn

Re: Politics as usual

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much politics as usual on both sides, though the GOP appears to have started it by having the Secretary of State, a Republican, agree to "look the other way" while the GOP filed a candidate list not in accordance with state law. But the problem is the state law doesn't have a way of dealing with a candidate's withdrawal from a race after the filing deadline. So it seems to me that if Texas is serious about having a two-party system (which I am not) then the legislature (both parties) better get on with amending the election laws to allow for candidates who either withdraw or die too late to get off the ballot.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Haruo wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much politics as usual on both sides, though the GOP appears to have started it by having the Secretary of State, a Republican, agree to "look the other way" while the GOP filed a candidate list not in accordance with state law. But the problem is the state law doesn't have a way of dealing with a candidate's withdrawal from a race after the filing deadline.
The law is a problem that needs fixing, but politics as unusual, to me, would have been for the Democratic Chairman to call it "a smoke-filled-room deal" and then say "but we have no desire to inflict this guy on the public so we aren't going to sue to keep him on the ballot" (which, to their credit, they did drop and not keep going with it).

Haruo wrote:So it seems to me that if Texas is serious about having a two-party system (which I am not) then the legislature (both parties) better get on with amending the election laws to allow for candidates who either withdraw or die too late to get off the ballot.
I think most states have the serious debilitating disease of the two-party system, but don't know how badly they are infected and or their need for a physician. But, yes, this is an odd situation to have no election law/rule that for removing the dead or the withdrawn, that needs fixing regardless of how many viable parties a state has.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Rvaughn wrote:I think most states have the serious debilitating disease of the two-party system, but don't know how badly they are infected and or their need for a physician. But, yes, this is an odd situation to have no election law/rule that for removing the dead or the withdrawn, that needs fixing regardless of how many viable parties a state has.

When it comes to elections of federal officials, representatives, senators and the President, should be governed by federal, not state, law, and should be consistent. Currently, states can do their own thing. In this state, if a candidate dies, and still wins the election, the second place finisher is declared the winner. And each party has a ten day window after a candidate has either stepped away or is disqualified, to be replaced. If the party misses the deadline, then it's just too bad, but at least there is a reasonable law. Leaving all of that up to the states, and by extension, to whatever political party happens to be in control at the time, is pretty politically backward.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues