One vote nullifies Virginia GOP majority

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

One vote nullifies Virginia GOP majority

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d-virginia’s-statehouse-out-of-republicans’-hands-—-by-a-single-vote/ar-BBH2J1Q?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Turns the Virginia house into a 50-50 situation, ending years of Republican control. At some point, Virginia will likely consider redrawing legislative district lines that are very gerrymandered.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: One vote nullifies Virginia GOP majority

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:32 am

Sandy wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-recount-just-knocked-virginia’s-statehouse-out-of-republicans’-hands-—-by-a-single-vote/ar-BBH2J1Q?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Turns the Virginia house into a 50-50 situation, ending years of Republican control. At some point, Virginia will likely consider redrawing legislative district lines that are very gerrymandered.

Surely, Sandy, you jest. Virginia couldn't possibly draw districts for political reasons. They just want districts that look like a dog's leg, like a chicken neck, and stretching out for miles through largely empty territory to get a pocket of preferred voters. We would not gerrymander. :lol:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am

The link above is broken; I think this will go directly to the article:
A recount just knocked Virginia’s statehouse out of Republicans’ hands — by a single vote
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:31 am

Rvaughn wrote:The link above is broken; I think this will go directly to the article:
A recount just knocked Virginia’s statehouse out of Republicans’ hands — by a single vote

Sorry, it was MSN, and when they change the cover, the link changes as well. As of last night, it's a tie, since one vote for the Democrat was disqualified. From what I hear, they just draw a name out of a hat, so to speak. It does, however, look like the Democrats will control the state legislature, due to a lawsuit in one of the other races where a small number of Republican voters were told to vote in the wrong district. If those votes are transferred to where they belong, another Democrat will win a seat.

The Democrats bested the Republicans in the Virginia legislative races across the board by more than 200,000 votes, yet come out even in number of representatives. I did hear in one of the news reports related to this that Virginia will be one of 14 states that will move to have their state legislative districts, and congressional districts, drawn by bi-partisan commissions.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues