Trump’s Mental State

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Trump’s Mental State

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:07 am

Three articles with a salient quote from each. But read all of them (as you have time) and the many links particularly in the Scarborough article

1) This is get worse, by Eugene Robinson

How long are we going to pretend that President Trump is fully rational? How long are we going to ignore the signs that he is dangerously out of control?

Trump’s supporters comfort themselves with the idea that he’s being crazy like a fox — that all the outrageous lies, abrupt reversals, bizarre pronouncements and vicious personal attacks are calculated to achieve some rational goal. He’s just playing to his base, perhaps, or distracting everyone from unpopular legislation cutting taxes for the rich, or trying to deceive other world leaders into thinking he might be unhinged and therefore should be accommodated.

2) MSNBC's Joe Scarborough suggests Trump has dementia, by Joe Scarborough.

Trump's mental health has been a topic of debate pretty much since he began his campaign. In August, long before Trump taunted North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by all but calling him "short and fat," or implied that Scarborough may have killed one of his own interns, Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said "the president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability nor some of the competence that he needs to demonstrate in order to be successful."

Public chatter on the topic has grown louder in the last few days following reports from both The New York Times and The Washington Post claiming that the president seems to believe the Access Hollywood recording of him bragging about sexually assaulting women is not actually of him. When the recording was first released last year, then-candidate Trump confirmed its authenticity just hours after its release. "I said it, I was wrong, and I apologize," he said.

(underline mine and about that underline I did a little research - read this).

3) The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President.

I bought the book and read the intro and several of the 27 psychiatrists. Now the book is floating among my friends to the great concern of all.

On February 28, we published a post, "The Elephant in the Room: It’s time we talked openly about Donald Trump’s mental health," which went viral with close to a million reads. People on both sides of the political spectrum—as well as some mental health professionals—weighed in with hundreds of comments.

One comment was from Hal Brown, MSW, a colleague of John Gartner, Ph.D., whom we mentioned in the post. John is the founder of Duty to Warn, an organization intent on warning our country that we are in dire trouble due to our president’s mental instability. More than 60,000 mental health professionals have signed John’s petition, which states:

“We, the undersigned mental health professionals, believe in our professional judgment that Donald Trump manifests a serious mental illness that renders him psychologically incapable of competently discharging the duties of President of the United States. And we respectfully request he be removed from office, according to article 4 of the 25th amendment to the Constitution, which states that the president will be replaced if he is ‘unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.’”

What do about this?
One idea is to Join the Duty to Warn Organization which is advocating invocation of Section 4 of the 25th Amendment.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

The other idea is of course to educate yourself about the Trump/Russian collusion/cooperation. You can do so at Bill Moyer’s Interactive Timeline Everything We Know About Russia and President Trump or the Rob Reiner's/David Frum’s Committee to Investigate Russia or if you prefer books read Collusion - I'm about half way through and it is very revealing. I’m afraid too many people have become mute to all he news and do not take the time to put it all together.

Neither Trump or this tax plan should survive!
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Trump’s Mental State

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

KeithE wrote:Neither Trump or this tax plan should survive!

Looks like he might not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/p ... ation.html
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Certainly a ding dong moment for the rabid Trump haters
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

William Thornton wrote:Certainly a ding dong moment for the rabid Trump haters

Why not say a "stellar moment for Trump realists".

One can easily find real faults in his fitness for office due to:
(1) his mental illnesses (narcissism, bullying, present hedonism, pathological lying), or
(2) his Russian connections/cooperation/collusion/vulnerability to blackmail,
(3) admitted sexual perversions -well I guess he is walking back his “admission” saying the voice on the tape was not his own (now that public figures are being fired for past sexual harassment incidences). Read Trump Once Said the ‘Access Hollywood’ Tape Was Real; Now He’s Not Sure. Just one example of his loss of reality to what he wants to be true.
(4) his > 3500 lawsuits (1450 as defendant) before taking office many of them still pending (Legal Affairs on Donald Trump), or
any other criminal acts on his part that Mueller may be investigating:
(5) his tax evasion, or
(6) past illegal business deals, or
(7) money laundering overseas or complicity in that (Panama Papers), or
(8) pure arrogance
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm

William Thornton wrote:Certainly a ding dong moment for the rabid Trump haters

It might be if, say, a pardon pops out. But it looks like Flynn decided he had a better chance at not getting locked up by cooperating with the investigation. And since the charges against Manifort can't be pardoned, I guess "lock her up" Flynn decided to get up to the head of the line.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues