Pence and his wisdom

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Pence and his wisdom

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:53 am

Back when the news came out that Pence did not socialize with women other than his wife the MSM made fun of him.

Such a conviction lived out removes the accusation of "he molested me" one that can not, honestly, be made.

We need more men who would be so convicted.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 am

I like the guy.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11807
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:09 am

I was trained in ministry that I did not meet women alone in the church without the presence of someone else in the building. There have been times when I found myself without that protection because someone suddenly arrived in tears or in urgent need, but erring of the side of caution seems wise. Pence has perhaps made too much of this, but I think that deserves respect.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6963
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:34 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I was trained in ministry that I did not meet women alone in the church without the presence of someone else in the building. There have been times when I found myself without that protection because someone suddenly arrived in tears or in urgent need, but erring of the side of caution seems wise. Pence has perhaps made too much of this, but I think that deserves respect.



I'm not sure if Pence made too much of this or the press did. He simply spoke his conviction. That was my take.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:I was trained in ministry that I did not meet women alone in the church without the presence of someone else in the building. There have been times when I found myself without that protection because someone suddenly arrived in tears or in urgent need, but erring of the side of caution seems wise. Pence has perhaps made too much of this, but I think that deserves respect.



I'm not sure if Pence made too much of this or the press did. He simply spoke his conviction. That was my take.


For the GOP right now, Pence's position is a problem while the Alabama Governor says it's better to elect a pedophile than a Democrat. You can't square Pence with that.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6963
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Jon Estes wrote:I'm not sure if Pence made too much of this or the press did. He simply spoke his conviction. That was my take.
That is my impression also. The press made a big deal about it, even to the point of some seeming to mock Pence for such a conviction.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

I never saw that he was "made fun of" anywhere. I googled it, read a few of the print articles and watched a couple of the "MSM" videos of the report. Didn't see anyone making fun of him, or ridiculing his practice.

His practice is a good idea. I work in an environment that is 80% female, and it requires a lot of arranging sometimes, but neither I nor any of our male staff will ever find themselves at an event or in a vehicle with just one other female staffer, without their wife being present.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 am

Sandy wrote:I never saw that he was "made fun of" anywhere. I googled it, read a few of the print articles and watched a couple of the "MSM" videos of the report. Didn't see anyone making fun of him, or ridiculing his practice.

His practice is a good idea. I work in an environment that is 80% female, and it requires a lot of arranging sometimes, but neither I nor any of our male staff will ever find themselves at an event or in a vehicle with just one other female staffer, without their wife being present.


35 seconds I found this msnbc video clip where they say Pence's conviction is sexism with a smile, plus other negative comments.

Either the reporters were ridiculing him or r just plain stupid. Ill let you decide.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watch/p ... 2724035877
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Sandy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 am

Didn't see anything that looked like ridicule. The MSNBC reporter wasn't ridiculing the position, nor did he necessarily agree, but was just reflecting the female guest's comments. She's from Vox.com, not MSNBC, and simply disagreed with the practice, no ridicule involved. Well, she did call it "old fashioned." And she did say it was, in her opinion, representative of sexism. So, she's reflecting the opinion of a majority of the American people. She used it as a means to critique the Trump-Pence administration not having anything close to a proportionate number of women in leadership roles. Nothing to warrant use of the word "stupid" unless you are intolerant of a view other than your own. Of course, if you're a conservative, anything that isn't gushingly positive toward your position is seen as a bias. Actually, the most caustic criticism of Pence's position came, expectedly, from Trump, who sees being alone with women who aren't his wife as an opportunity to grab parts of their body and use his celebrity status to get some sex. I guess he doesn't understand that there are men out there who don't grab women's genitals every time they have the chance, like he does.

Perhaps it is "old fashioned," and maybe in today's professional world, it isn't necessary, and in professional, business relationships, where women are equal, or are in positions of authority and leadership, it's not a problem anymore. But there's nothing wrong with being a little cautious, and a little old fashioned, so that you can sleep at night, and give someone else some peace of mind.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8179
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Pence and his wisdom

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:43 pm

And be sure not to be anywhere with anybody alone, because not only are there predatory males-in-power out there ready to prey on women not their wives, and publicity-hungry women looking to ruin their male bosses' careers and marriages, but there are a bunch of gay folks, too, so being alone with a same-sex person is dangerous. Not to mention kids.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11689
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron