Roy Moore and the teenaged girls

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Roy Moore and the teenaged girls

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Interesting article. I know it's in the Washington Post, but it has the ring of credibility about it.

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

It would be refreshing to see him come clean about this stuff. In AA I was taught "You're only as sick as your secrets", and it seems like a lot of Evangelical Right-Wingers have some secrets that they would benefit from airing. Roy Moore being one. And I wouldn't object if it also cost him an election. ;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Roy Moore and the teenaged girls

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Never liked the guy. Wouldn't vote for him. Not sure about 30-40 year old charges being raised. Moore has run for office for years. Why now? Let the chips fall where they may.

WAPO has a pay wall.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

The higher the office, the deeper the digging.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

I heard 20 minutes

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 pm

after it went up on Huff Post.

Read the Wash Post piece. Got a pic two weeks ago with Roy Moore's pastor for 12 years in Gallant Alabama, Rev Stansell. He comes through Collinsville every Weds on way to prayer meeting. His daughter was bright young woman when I was her Sub teach up on Lookout Mtn. She now works at Sand Rock High School, does the books.

I was at ralley for his opponent Doug Jones Tuesday night in Fyffe. Was impressed with Jones. Saw my ole friend Lowell Barron, at one time 2nd most powerful man in the state. Told him a humorous story that doubled him over. Used to call him on Statewide public live tv and ask his pay day loan schemes. He remembers me. And former President Muse of Auburn from Marks, Mississippi and I talked once about Lowell after a Kate Campbell concert at Samford.

His wife walked away. Didnt want to hear any Lowell Barron stories, but Muse has been around. Took it all in good stride and dark humor
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 pm

William Thornton wrote:Never liked the guy. Wouldn't vote for him. Not sure about 30-40 year old charges being raised. Moore has run for office for years. Why now? Let the chips fall where they may.

WAPO has a pay wall.

As for the timing, you might lay it to the account of that scumball movie mogul that gave lots of $$ to Dems... A lot of women have been emboldened.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:32 pm

I can't stand the guy. Never have thought he was anything but a cheap demagogue. But yeah, Weinstein has made this more profitable. I see that WAPO has dozens of sources. Never doubt that some of Fox's Alabama pals will elect him anyway.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Yellowhammer News

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

The voice of Steve Bannon and Donald Trump with direct connections from the Trump White House to the intestines of Bama Babbdists through Bama WH staffer Cliff Simms network to Babdist church of the Highlands and Rick Burgess, this years Bama Bap Keynote speaker; Simms founded Yhammer is on the fence right now, quite nervous.

See their 96th thesis up six minutes ago at yellowhammernews.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:55 pm

William Thornton wrote:I can't stand the guy. Never have thought he was anything but a cheap demagogue. But yeah, Weinstein has made this more profitable. I see that WAPO has dozens of sources. Never doubt that some of Fox's Alabama pals will elect him anyway.

The implication of "profitable" there is that you do not think the reports are likely to be true, even though you detest the accused. My impression is that in both this case and Weinstein's, it's very likely that they are telling the truth (not ALL of them, but enough). Of course "very likely" isn't enough to convict, but it ought to be enough to pick a word less prejudicially impugning of the women's motives than "profitable".
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm

William Thornton wrote:I can't stand the guy. Never have thought he was anything but a cheap demagogue. But yeah, Weinstein has made this more profitable. I see that WAPO has dozens of sources. Never doubt that some of Fox's Alabama pals will elect him anyway.

If they do, then Evangelicals will own all of this, and are hypocrites when it comes to gay marriage and abortion. Sin is sin, and if this turns out to be accurate, and they elect him anyway, they owe Bill Clinton an apology. Given Trump's morals, any evangelical who supports him is also a hypocrite. Support for Trump and this whack job flies in the face of everything they've claimed to stand for in the past 40 years.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 am

Was Moore so busy placing his Ten Commandments monument that he failed to ever read it? :?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 am

Dave Roberts wrote:Was Moore so busy placing his Ten Commandments monument that he failed to ever read it? :?

Golden spur material
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Jerry Falwell Jr is sticking by his man, who is denying the stories. But the AL state auditor, Jim Ziegler, is not. He is defending Moore on the grounds that there was nothing wrong with what he did (he didn't bother to say "was alleged to have done"). He uses Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth and Zechariah as backup.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/alabama-state-auditor-defends-roy-moore-against-sexual-allegations-invokes-mary-and-joseph/article/2640217
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am

I hope Moore gets his day in court before an impartial judge.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I hope Moore gets his day in court before an impartial judge.

He will, but not in the United States as we know it. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has run on the stuff he's accused of, so I doubt it'll come up in court in Cisjordanian America. But after we all pass the bar yet have Jesus as our defense attorney... Well, we'll just see what happens...
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:26 pm

For those of you who feel like what is past is past and what matters is what Moore’s character and political positions are right now (and I’m somewhat in sympathy with that view - people do repent and should be given another chance), consider:

Roy Moore took a salary from his charity after saying he didn’t
Although Moore had previously claimed that he did not draw a "regular salary" from the Christian charity, Foundation for Moral Law, he actually earned $180,000 each year for his part-time work there, according to a Washington Post investigation. Overall, Moore took home more than $1 million during his tenure as president of the charity, from 2007 to 2012.

The 7 most inflammatory things Roy Moore has said
Read them.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm

KeithE wrote:For those of you who feel like what is past is past and what matters is what Moore’s character and political positions are right now (and I’m somewhat in sympathy with that view - people do repent and should be given another chance), consider:

Roy Moore took a salary from his charity after saying he didn’t
Although Moore had previously claimed that he did not draw a "regular salary" from the Christian charity, Foundation for Moral Law, he actually earned $180,000 each year for his part-time work there, according to a Washington Post investigation. Overall, Moore took home more than $1 million during his tenure as president of the charity, from 2007 to 2012.

The 7 most inflammatory things Roy Moore has said
Read them.

Most of those are not what I would call terribly "inflammatory"; they are culturally insensitive in some cases, and just tremendously misinformed in others. One piece of news-to-me in the article was the information (from the writer, not from Moore) that Trump had categorically stated that Obama was born in the US.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:I hope Moore gets his day in court before an impartial judge.

I'm not aware that he's been charged with a crime or sued in a civil action or is suing any entity himself. Do you have further information as to the type of action and any timeline for resolution of any issues? Nobody gets a day in court without a reason (charge), even just a speeding ticket. I also hope the judge is impartial.
Jim

Re: I heard 20 minutes

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 am

Stephen Fox wrote:Got a pic two weeks ago with Roy Moore's pastor for 12 years in Gallant Alabama, Rev Stansell. He comes through Collinsville every Weds on way to prayer meeting.
Is Brother Stansell at Bethlehem United? His name sounds familiar.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 am

A bit of a sidelight, but this from Moore's tenure as Chief Justice (the second time) interests me, too, for what it says about his insensitivity to issues of power and coercion. I also note that the story never specifies the gender of the four-year-old, which leaves me wondering what it was and whether Moore's opinion might have been different if it were different.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm

To see to what lengths the democrats will go to destroy a person's reputation and, hopefully, career, one has only to hearken back to Sept.-Oct. Of 1991 and refresh memories of the attempted moral assassination of Justice Clarence Thomas. The Senate was owned by the democrats and this debacle happened in the Judiciary Committee headed by Joe (God love ya) Biden. In 1990, Thomas had been thoroughly examined by the committee and with only one dissenting vote appointed to the federal bench in D.C. His record and background were considered impeccable. In 1991, the dems had two problems: Thomas had just been considered the year before as the purest/best thing since sliced bread and he was African-American when there was no black on the court since Justice Thurgood Marshall, also black, had just resigned account poor health. Just as is the case with Moore, the only way to deep-six Thomas was to smear him morally. His worthiness was already concretely established. Triggered apparently by the staffs of senators Metzenbaum and Kennedy, the name of Anita Hill, who had worked for Thomas in two government agencies and then kept up at least a phone correspondence long afterward, was discovered in Oklahoma and after weeks of arm-twisting finally agreed to make a damaging statement but only if the FBI not be involved. When it became clear what was happening, the White House Counsel finally got the FBI to investigate. Result: Nothing wrong found. I watched the hearings on C-Span (lurid at times). Other women appeared suddenly to back up Hill, just as now, but the attempt at “high-tech lynching” (Thomas's characterization) was continued. Remember “long-dong-silver” or the “coke-can and pubic hair” stuff that was too lewd for TV, actually. Biden had to cave or write off the black vote so Thomas was approved.

Moore is a graduate of West Point and was a U.S. Army Company Commander in Viet Nam. He has been through a number of campaigns in the last few decades with no charges of immorality ever brought up. He's been elected to the Alabama Supreme Court twice and has been chief justice. He is hated by both democrat and republican establishments because he's a maverick and says what he thinks. He lost his court terms twice (on principle), once because he wouldn't enforce same-sex marriage and once for not removing the Ten Commandments from the capitol rotunda. That kind of sacrifice is noteworthy. Military officers are allowed to disobey any order they consider illegal so Moore was following that tradition. It cost him.

Ironically, democrat New Jersey Senator Menendez has just been through a long trial concerning charges of corruption—some details are slimy—and the jury is deliberating his fate (probably go free in NJ). Or more ironically, was the slime committed by Harry Reid, Barack Obama and Senator Durbin in 2009 when they actually locked the legally appointed successor to Obama in the Senate out of the capitol. The Court turned them around and Burris took his seat and served out the term. And then, of course, there's Hillary, the infamous tarmac-turnaround and the skewering of Sanders by the democrats. Beside the democrats, Moore appears as a saint and has been indicted by the Washington Post, not any jury, on charges that can never be corroborated, just as in the Thomas case.
Jim

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Haruo wrote:Interesting article. I know it's in the Washington Post, but it has the ring of credibility about it.
I tend to be skeptical of these kinds of incidents that are dredged up from 40 years ago, when a person like Roy Moore has been very prominent in the public eye for years. Dave's explanation might give a reason for "why now":
Dave Roberts wrote:The higher the office, the deeper the digging.
But I know someone who does this kind of political work for a living, and I can tell you that a person doesn't have to be seeking such a high office for someone to be hired to dig up dirt on him. If this account is true, "more resources available" might be the better explanation of why it pops up now when it has not before. I feel like Moore has been scrutinized closely in the past.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Jim wrote:Moore appears as a saint and has been indicted by the Washington Post, not any jury, on charges that can never be corroborated, just as in the Thomas case.

Actually, if you'd have bothered to read the article in the Post, which clearly you did not, you would discover that there is considerably more corroboration from considerably more people who were eyewitnesses, than there ever was in any accusation made by the extremist right wing media against Clinton. You can call the Post a lot of things, but these aren't people who print anything unless they can back it up with facts. Note that Jim's long rant contains not a single piece of corroborating evidence or support.

Moore wasn't just controversial because of his ten commandments monument. He has a record of corruption and self-serving political actions, across most of his career.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Haruo wrote:Interesting article. I know it's in the Washington Post, but it has the ring of credibility about it.
I tend to be skeptical of these kinds of incidents that are dredged up from 40 years ago, when a person like Roy Moore has been very prominent in the public eye for years. Dave's explanation might give a reason for "why now":
Dave Roberts wrote:The higher the office, the deeper the digging.
But I know someone who does this kind of political work for a living, and I can tell you that a person doesn't have to be seeking such a high office for someone to be hired to dig up dirt on him. If this account is true, "more resources available" might be the better explanation of why it pops up now when it has not before. I feel like Moore has been scrutinized closely in the past.

He has been scrutinized or the Alabama front but not the national front which brings in the Washington Post and NYT sorts - much more aggressive than AL.com or any local paper
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 pm

The aggressive part may be related to "more money". The firm I referenced in my previous post can, I believe, dig up anything that exists on anybody. But you have to be willing to pay for it. (Of course, WAPO and NYT probably does their own work.)
Rvaughn

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues