[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trump Admin and Corporate Personhood

Trump Admin and Corporate Personhood

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Trump Admin and Corporate Personhood

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 am

Businesses, especially large corporations, are sensitive to public opinion. I doubt we will see a huge expansion of business claiming RL exemptions on this or other obama mandates. Those that are like Hobby Lobby et al, should have the right to do so under the same circumstances. Maybe the gummit could get out of mandating what business should do in regard to their employees health care.

Keith seems to think that if a majority of a closely held companies employees have no moral objection to contraceptions then the owners' religious views should be set aside. SCOTUS disagreed, properly, in my view, maintaining that it is not generally the gummit's prerogative to decide which religious views are worthy of protection and which are not. It seems inescapable to me that Keith believes that it is perfectly acceptable for gummit to make these decisions, but he can clarify that. In the case we are discussing (and I hate to say it again but it seems to slide past my old friend) Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., the government (Burwell, HHS Secretary) did not argue that employees have a FA right to contraception, although critics of the decision complained that it allows employers to force their religious beliefs on employees which is as close as the argumentation gets to what Keith keeps opining. The simple answer to that objection is that government can easily overcome what is lost in the mandate and that employees are not so aggrieved as to require gummit to substantially burden their employer's religious beliefs.

Need any of us have to declare that none of us are legal scholars? Not to despair there is surely more litigation to come on these religious liberty issues.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 am

Sandy

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm

There's no such thing as corporate person-hood. Corporations involve many persons and so cannot be the conscience of them all. Corporation boards and officials decide not conscience but policy. Those persons who can't live with those policies, whether based on religion or otherwise, can take appropriate action, including lawsuits and anything else worth attaining a financial windfall, the usual aim. HL exercised a corporation policy and SCOTUS said okay. Not to have said that would
have amounted to chaos.
Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I personally think that the SCOTUS decision opens Pandora's box for potential legal problems and it certainly redefines religion from being a personal relationship with God, however you conceive of God, to being a political or a legal stance. In doing so, I believe SCOTUS is stripping the heart from religion in the name of politics.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:07 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 am

I think it is a weak argument to assert that there are many who claim that their religious liberty FA rights are violated when they are denied free contraceptives. It would support the argument if it could be shown that the gummit has been challenged on this basis. What was persuasive to SCOTUS is that some have religious objections to contraceptives and gummit may not, therefore, violate the FA in their cases by forcing them to act in violation of their religious views.

I regret that Keith plays the culture war card, since it is irrelevant to the discussion. I didn't pick the topic here.

For now the FA rights of closely held corporations cannot be separated from the FA rights of the owners. This is a good decision, in my view. Employees wanting contraceptives can obtain them easily elsewhere or choose to work for another employer.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:43 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:13 am

It seems getting off into the contraceptive side of the HL decision and not the ultimate effect on religion is a side trip. The real concern needs to be how SCOTUS is defining religion and how the administration is redefining religious liberty.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 am

If corporations are persons, are they (or can they become) citizens? I ask in light of the recent purported* conferring of citizenship on a robot by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

*I say purported because I can find no solid documentation that it happened in legal fact, but also no solid documentation that it was essentially just a joke or a publicity stunt.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 am

Here is where the problem begins with religious rights to define medical care.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Good questions actually. Looking at the way the SCOTUS majority opinion was written, legitimate questions because a corporation owner who was either JW or CS could decide that their religious convictions could apply to insurance coverage they decided to provide.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Great Facebook post. Thanks Dave.

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues