[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Assata Shakur

Assata Shakur

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Assata Shakur

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 am

I find it interesting that Kaepernick who many hail as a hero in all of this protest mess has given money to a charity honoring Assata Shakur. The cop killer who has fled to Cuba.

I'm sure some will have no problem with such a decision but for me, it assures me the reason he is doing this is not for the reason that has been presented in the press. He has lost his right to be heard - AFAIC.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: Assata Shakur

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 am

I recognized the name JoAnne Chesimard, Black Panther, Black Liberation Army from the 1970s.

Millionaire NFL player donates to underprivileged community...not including families of murdered police.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am

JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 am

Two questions for Keith:

1. A cop was killed. Do you think AS was wrongly convicted?
2. The charitable works in the name of a convicted cop killer...is it unfair to note Kape's participation in this?

Looks like Kape's street cred is damaged by this.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am

The “K-affair” is finally working its way into the penultimate silliness mode. The Saints (at least some of them, black and white) took the knee in London yesterday, ostensibly to show their “loyalty-to-teammates” uber-righteousness. This is the same outfit that a few years ago was paying its players “bounty-bonuses” for actually injuring the opposition's players (get them out of the game), especially their quarterbacks. The coach was suspended for a year when he should have been suspended forever. The underlying theme for the blacks is their easily recognizable hatred of this country, sort of like biting the hand that feeds. Football is part of the entertainment industry, which just about says it all with regard to its supercilious sanctimonious loyalty to teammates and Clinton and Sanders in 2016, never recognizing that a Private sleeping in a tent in Afghanistan means more to this country than all the NFL stuffed-shirt millionaires combined. The same can be said for the MSM, which keeps the pot boiling a la Sharpton/Jackson. In fact, it's a lead-pipe cinch that probably 90% or more of the players never wore the uniform and consider a GI about as John Kerry put it back when he was considering another run, to wit, that guys who don't make it in high school wind up in the Middle East dodging bullets or losing their lives.
Jim

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Kapernick gave money to a small organization, mainly of African American women in the city of Chicago that helps create awareness of oppression and advocates for liberation from it, trains young people in how to successfully organize for a cause, and models some self dependence and resource management. It's named after someone that the vast majority of the African American community sees as a victim of racially motivated injustice. I don't see any issue with credibility there, and his contribution is certainly consistent with what he sees and feels is an issue. It is irrelevant to his credibility whether anyone else sees it the same way.

None of these organizations, even the ones with a reputation for violence (which this one doesn't have, btw), sprang up in some kind of vacuum. There are few Caucasian Americans who could even begin to understand the depths of emotion that formed from generations of oppression, and many who are either not interested, or think it's just whining. Most whites either let their eyes just slip past what happened, or ignore it, or deny it ever happened, and even if there were a higher level of awareness, most don't have any kind of experience to which to relate it. There's no credibility lost here, and no hidden, dark intention in the contributions Kaepernick, or any other NFL players, have made within the spectrum of the African American community.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Right, got it. Cop is dead but whose memory lives on in perpetual victimhood?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 pm

The cop has been technically dead for a long time now.

Not your best day here, bro. Sometimes I wonder....
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:08 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 am

Well, here's a bit of improvement: "I agree that Assata Shakur was not the consistent model of non-violent protest of say a MLK or a Gandhi..."

Cop is still dead. Probably has family living. No word from Kape or Keith on that.

I'll help you out, since you asked. In your haste to defend the lib causes you ignore some of the weightier matters. You think you are steamrolling your intellectual inferiors. Nothing personal. We've done this for a long time.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 am

I guess I'm missing something. The Wikipedia article says, "[Assata Shakur] then joined the Black Liberation Army, a loosely-knit offshoot of the Black Panthers which led an armed struggle against the U.S. government through tactics such as holding up banks and killing police officers and drug dealers. Between 1971 and 1973, she was charged with several crimes and was the subject of a multi-state manhunt." Yet the Assata's Daughters "Through our Akerele program, we introduce young girls, ages 4-12 to Assata Shakur and her revolutionary politic and love of Black people." Her "revolutionary politic" doesn't sound like something young girls of any age need to be introduced to -- certainly not in a positive way.
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am

Ed: R.L. How much do you know about "Assata Shakur and her revolutionary politic and love of Black people"?
JE Pettibone

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues