Rush and Irma

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Rush and Irma

Postby KeithE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

Citing Climate Hoax, Limbaugh Downplayed Irma Threat to Millions. Now He's Evacuating

On Tuesday, right-wing radio provocateur Rush Limbaugh claimed the media was intentionally exaggerating threats about Hurricane Irma to advance a "climate change agenda" and enable local businesses to make money off of emergency preparation efforts. On Thursday, Limbaugh indicated he will evacuate South Florida ahead of the storm.

Truth is that decades of continuing greenhouse gases (ghgs) emissions have caused hurricanes to be more intense (wind-wise) and/or producing more rain (due to increased ocean temperatures). Then there are heat waves, glacial losses (and associated loss of water supplies), droughts (and associated food shortages), wildfires, landslides, ocean heating (40% of plankton gone) and many more effects.

Truth is also that Exxon knew since 1981 that global warming was happening and would become a significant world-wide problem. The problem that Exxon focussed on was maintaining their profits by sponsoring climate denialism.

ExxonMobil, the world’s biggest oil company, knew as early as 1981 of climate change – seven years before it became a public issue, according to a newly discovered email from one of the firm’s own scientists. Despite this the firm spent millions over the next 27 years to promote climate denial.

Over the years, Exxon spent more than $30m on thinktanks and researchers that promoted climate denial, according to Greenpeace.

They have demonized such people as James Hansen who formally warned the US Congress in 1988.

As such climate extremes have all increased (doubled in term of the percentage of the contiguous USA that have experienced extreme weather, from 14% in 1970s to 28% in 2000s/2010s.)

The number of catastrophic effects worldwide have more than tripled since 1980.

Note that the geophysics events (earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis) have not increased much, while the meteorological (tropical storms/hurricanes, other strong storms), hydrological events (floods, mass movements/landslides) and climatological effects (extreme temperatures/heat waves, droughts/food shortages and wildfires) have all increased.

As such we have already been had and at this point we must do what we can to prevent even worse effects in the decades ahead* and hope that some geo-engineering feat will limit devastation on earth inhabitants. Harvey and Irma alone have a price tag of over $200B (probably more).

*Good starts are:
(1) supporting/bringing it vote/passing Senate Bill 1068,
(2) re-establishing the US leadership by at least doing our parts in the Paris Climate Accord,
(3) censuring climate denialism, and
(4) studying, test best geo-engineering techniques.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Rush and Irma

Postby William Thornton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 am

Blah, blah, blah...lost in the background noise.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 am

William Thornton wrote:Blah, blah, blah...lost in the background noise.

I see that is exactly what Rush was doing. He chose to evacuate which means it was all an act for his audience. "Rush has pants on fire."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:52 pm

It's kind of hard to keep badmouthing the mainstream media and its liberal bias when a hurricane they've reported is barreling down on you :lol: . Of course, most of his listening audience is not interested in the facts anyway, or they wouldn't be able to stomach his daily lies.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I saw Mar al Lago was being evacuated. Not sure what part of Keith's post William was referring to, Rush or Exxon or the graphs.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I'm near Nashville waiting to visit my daughter . Every third car that passed us had a FL tag and piles of clothes. But I have not spotted Rush.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 pm

KeithE wrote:I'm near Nashville waiting to visit my daughter . Every third car that passed us had a FL tag and piles of clothes. But I have not spotted Rush.

Ed: I guess he elected to fly, moving far and fast. Or maybe he is in one of the other 5 Florida licensed Motorhomes parked in the same row with us here in the North Louisville RV Park in Clarksville Indiana.
JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:
KeithE wrote:I'm near Nashville waiting to visit my daughter . Every third car that passed us had a FL tag and piles of clothes. But I have not spotted Rush.

Ed: I guess he elected to fly, moving far and fast. Or maybe he is in one of the other 5 Florida licensed Motorhomes parked in the same row with us here in the North Louisville RV Park in Clarksville Indiana.

Watch out for a $4 charge to go over that bridge between Clarksville and Louisville. When I drove over that there was no stopping to pay a fee but later I got an $8 charge (two transits) in the mail complete with photographs of my license number.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Ed: Did you Cross on I 69 or US 31? Any suggestion how to beat it? We will have crossed the Ohio a half dozen times by the time we head South, but I think we can afford $24.00. But they will probably tag me for both vehicles tomorrow.
JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:Ed: Did you Cross on I 69 or US 31? Any suggestion how to beat it? We will have crossed the Ohio a half dozen times by the time we head South, but I think we can afford $24.00. But they will probably tag me for both vehicles tomorrow.

It was the Interstate (I-65 I believe).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues