Ellin Jimmerson

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 am

If you're on Facebook, you might learn a thing or two by following this woman's posts, especially on matters of immigration law and policy. I think she used to be in some ministerial role at Keith's church. If she has a sacred cow, I haven't identified it yet.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11531
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby William Thornton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 am

Used to be Keith's neighbor, I believe.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11711
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am

Haruo wrote:If she has a sacred cow, I haven't identified it yet.
I suspect all of us own a sacred cow or two. Some folks do a better job of keeping them locked away in the back pasture. :)
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:19 am

William Thornton wrote:Used to be Keith's neighbor, I believe.

May still be, at least I know she lives in Huntsville. But I'm pretty sure she had some sort of controversial ministerial post that she left (or was forced out of?) a couple years back.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11531
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

Ellin Jimmerson performed the first or one of the first same-sex marriages in Alabama. I don't know the outcome, but the Association at least considered putting the church of which she was a member (not pastor) out of the association. If Weatherly Heights in Huntsville is Keith's church, then you are correct about the connection.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 am

Rvaughn wrote:Ellin Jimmerson performed the first or one of the first same-sex marriages in Alabama. I don't know the outcome, but the Association at least considered putting the church of which she was a member (not pastor) out of the association.

Yes, that was the controversy, and somehow I thought the church was one Keith was in.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11531
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Haruo wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:Ellin Jimmerson performed the first or one of the first same-sex marriages in Alabama. I don't know the outcome, but the Association at least considered putting the church of which she was a member (not pastor) out of the association.

Yes, that was the controversy, and somehow I thought the church was one Keith was in.


Sorry for being late on responding - I have responsibility (along with my wife) to home school my grandson for the next few weeks. It is an extremely taxing time for me. BL is a “relief valve”.

Yes this is my church and we have been kicked out of the Madison Baptist Association. All our pastors had to transfer their annuity and benefits programs elsewhere (I believe to some CBF organization).

And yes Ellin used to be our neighbor 2 houses away. That was about ~ 25-15 years ago when she and another neighbor Alice Hunt (also in our church at the time) were going to Vanderbilt Divinity school. She does not show up much at church anymore (although her lawyer husband sings in the choir most Sundays). I know she is writing a book (LBGTs stories) and participating in many protests (e.g.. Women’s Day, Dakota pipelines, probably a lot more). Her initial political issue was Immigration and she made this documentary narrated by Martin Sheen. She was ordained by our church as a "minister to the community" about 10 years ago but was never on our staff.

She did do several gay marriages on Alabama Gay Marriage day a couple of years ago. There is some bad feelings in our church about how she handled the Gay Marriage Day - too much ballyhoo to the press (although most of our members accept same-sex marriage - about 15 families left due to this issue; leaving about 200 families on the rolls; I know of 6 families that have joined our church just because we support same-sex marriage- it is matter of being loving and inclusive and realizing that most of the time it is in the genes).

I do not always follow her on Facebook. She turned me down as a teacher for any Discovery Center subject (her choice). I have not talked with her since.

And Yes rvaughn, David Ivey goes here when he is not on the road doing Sacred Heart singing. He, his wife Karen and another couple who joined up due to FBC Huntsville's choice to be anti-same-sex marriage, are starting a Young Adults SS class Sept 17, which my daughter will join when she is able.

I could tell you so much more about interesting people and programs in our church.

E.g that Alice Hunt (neighbor to Ellin and I) is now the President of Chicago Seminary. I used to team teach SS with her and my daughter babysat her kids frequently. We have another lady (retired teacher and dynamite personality) challenging our US Rep Mo Brooks.

http://www.weatherly.org
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:51 pm

From Jimmerson web-site: The time has come to pay it forward.

Those of us who were ever poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, LGBTQ, or a woman

and someone who was not poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, LGBTQ, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, a day laborer, or a woman actively worked to change the system which was oppressing us:

it is time for us to try to change the system which is oppressing undocumented people and others today.


Hooray!!!! I didn't know it until just now. I am a VICTIM and therefore entitled to everything I can get my hands on from government right on down to lowly-retired day laborer SPLC-protected humanoid. I wonder if she will be the one to baptize the first child delivered to the same-sex couple she married-up in Alabama.
Jim
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

If Flick were an Organization the SPLC

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Would designate him as a Hate Group, He and Jim and justifiably :brick: :brick: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Rachel Maddow did her homework and last night revisited some Sept 2013 investigative journalism on the Heritage Foundation and Trey Gowdy. HF of Redeemer PreZ PCA on Paris Mtn just outside the Furman gates where Cliff Barrows used to live ginned up the Alt Right refashioning of White Nationalism.

HF MADE Trey Gowdy. That's the conversation at the SHJ facebook wall today re Billy Graham's congregation at FBC Spartanburg.

Without HF Gowdy never woulda defeated Republican Bob Inglis a few years ago in a primary when Inglis tried to move toward the Center.

Inglis was on panel with MTP's Chuck Todd at Furman last Thursday.

Clemson trustee Chair David Wilkins is aware and they all know I graduated from Furman and am a native of Gaffney.

So stay tuned. I got their home phone numbers, metaphorically speaking and this conversation is about to begin in earnest, there and FBC Gardendale and the Albert Lee Smith, Kris Kobach network. Jimmerson is whining in the wind while some of us are playing real politik wise as a serpent for the Kingdom's Sake

Watch the news coming out of NBC Convo in Atlanta next week.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Gaffney Represents on the Brooklyn Bridge

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm

With video facebook friends tell me right now Chip Masters whose grandmother was a legendary Elementary School principal in Blacksburg SC is marching on the Brooklyn Bridge with a brass band with signs that say Dreamers Make America Great.

Chips Mother Diane was HS classmate of Susan Clary, now the wife of David Wilkins, former speaker of the House for SC and former chair of Clemson trustees, in Senator Lindsey Graham's inner circle.

Its gametime in America again.

Game On Donnie Trump, Game ON!!!!!!!!

Game on Billy Gee, Trey Gowdy and the Alt Right Heritage Foundation,

Game ON!!!!!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 am

Jim wrote:From Jimmerson web-site: The time has come to pay it forward.

Those of us who were ever poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, LGBTQ, or a woman

and someone who was not poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, LGBTQ, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, a day laborer, or a woman actively worked to change the system which was oppressing us:

it is time for us to try to change the system which is oppressing undocumented people and others today.


Hooray!!!! I didn't know it until just now. I am a VICTIM and therefore entitled to everything I can get my hands on from government right on down to lowly-retired day laborer SPLC-protected humanoid. I wonder if she will be the one to baptize the first child delivered to the same-sex couple she married-up in Alabama.


Wild, Jim, absolutely wild. Got no clue where you came up with that conclusion out of what you just quoted.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11531
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:27 am

Haruo, you have to take into consideration that the comments came from Jim, who filtered them from what he read on a website. There's no link or attribution to a specific quote or statement (there never is) so you just have to conclude he made this stuff up as he went along.

Actually, this looks like something worth watching.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8049
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

No, Sandy, I can easily see her posting that series of partial paragraphs, but I don't see in it what Jim claims to see in it. He sees "entitlement" I guess where I see "Let my people go".
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11531
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: If Flick were an Organization the SPLC

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:Would designate him as a Hate Group, He and Jim and justifiably.


Yeah...I hate the Progressive Party of Big-O/Clinton/Sanders. So I Join Flick in being a hate-group. Nice of you to mention it. Also, look up again the term ad hominem.
Jim
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Haruo wrote:
Jim wrote:From Jimmerson web-site: The time has come to pay it forward.

Those of us who were ever poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, LGBTQ, or a woman

and someone who was not poor white, African American, Asian American, Middle Eastern American, German American, Irish American, indigenous from anywhere, LGBTQ, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Mormon, Pentecostal, atheist, a day laborer, or a woman actively worked to change the system which was oppressing us:

it is time for us to try to change the system which is oppressing undocumented people and others today.


Hooray!!!! I didn't know it until just now. I am a VICTIM and therefore entitled to everything I can get my hands on from government right on down to lowly-retired day laborer SPLC-protected humanoid. I wonder if she will be the one to baptize the first child delivered to the same-sex couple she married-up in Alabama.


Wild, Jim, absolutely wild. Got no clue where you came up with that conclusion out of what you just quoted.


I probably would have been called poor-white (childhood in Great Depression) when I was young and my wife a worse case (she's white, too) and though you may not believe it, I have been called a Christian. That disgraces the Faith, of course, but it is what it is, whatever, as Bubba would have it) is is.
Jim
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm

I don't see where she says anything in there about an "entitlement." I'd say reading her statement on the website might be the best way to get her point. She's done her homework, and documented the facts before forming an opinion. Here's one key paragraph to understanding her thesis:

Ellin Jimmerson wrote:The reason migrants cross illegally, risking their dignity, their property, and their lives is because the United States does not allow them to cross legally. The United States has two legal entry systems. One is for Canadians and Western Europeans who may cross US borders with only a passport. Another is for Latin Americans, Africans, and most Asians who must have a visa affixed to their passport. These people must qualify by demonstrating that they have both money and title to property in order to cross our borders legally.


http://thesecondcooler.com/pk-reform/th ... t-justice/

I wasn't going to add this, but I think it is worth mentioning. Jimmerson is an ordained Baptist minister, so it can be said that a Baptist Christian is stepping up and taking the lead on an issue in a way that is wholly consistent with a "Biblical worldview," to use an often abused term, or more plainly, consistent with the principles of Christian faith as taught by Christ and interpreted by the New Testament writers. Keith could probably shed some light on her theology, and certainly her social practice would get her categorized as being "liberal," by the two markers most often used by conservatives to use that term--she's an ordained female, and she's not opposed to same gender marriage. But when it comes to this issue, she's got it right.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8049
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby KeithE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Sandy wrote:I don't see where she says anything in there about an "entitlement." I'd say reading her statement on the website might be the best way to get her point. She's done her homework, and documented the facts before forming an opinion. Here's one key paragraph to understanding her thesis:

Ellin Jimmerson wrote:The reason migrants cross illegally, risking their dignity, their property, and their lives is because the United States does not allow them to cross legally. The United States has two legal entry systems. One is for Canadians and Western Europeans who may cross US borders with only a passport. Another is for Latin Americans, Africans, and most Asians who must have a visa affixed to their passport. These people must qualify by demonstrating that they have both money and title to property in order to cross our borders legally.


http://thesecondcooler.com/pk-reform/th ... t-justice/

I wasn't going to add this, but I think it is worth mentioning. Jimmerson is an ordained Baptist minister, so it can be said that a Baptist Christian is stepping up and taking the lead on an issue in a way that is wholly consistent with a "Biblical worldview," to use an often abused term, or more plainly, consistent with the principles of Christian faith as taught by Christ and interpreted by the New Testament writers. Keith could probably shed some light on her theology, and certainly her social practice would get her categorized as being "liberal," by the two markers most often used by conservatives to use that term--she's an ordained female, and she's not opposed to same gender marriage. But when it comes to this issue, she's got it right.


Yes she is a bonafide Liberation Theologian - studied that at Vanderbilt Divinity School. Also has a PHD is history from some college in Houston (not Rice).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am

KeithE wrote:Also has a PHD is history from some college in Houston (not Rice).


Her bio says University of Houston. Interesting. I have an M.A. from there, and had a couple of classes in the history department. I can see why she would be attracted there, and would fit in. It's not really what you would expect from a sprawling urban commuter university.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8049
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby KeithE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am

More on Ellin. She has never seemed very interested in theological or Christian living subjects, tended toward the political (as do I).

When the Jimmersons moved in 2 houses away from us about 25 years ago, Ann (my great wife) and I would often go walking with her in the evenings (Al her husband was working late - he was and is still a busy lawyer). She never seemed interested in talking religious subjects (nature of bible, soteriology, ethics, even the “Baptist Battles” that was in full swing at that time) - interested mostly in political subjects like immigration and redoing the Alabama Constitution (she was a big fan of Wayne Flynt as I remember).

I was briefly in a SS class she started (may be 20 years ago); she seemed to change the SS material (it might have been S&H) into immigration subjects; when I tried to change it to something more inline with the material, she resisted and I left the class after after about 6 weeks. At the time I was not really interested in immigration politics.

I really have not talked with her much for the last 10 years (but my wife did her books for her, related the the Second Cooler).

Their daughter (Leigh Ann) died about 10 years ago in a car accident at the age of 15, ironically and sadly run over by a car driven by a police-fleeing illegal immigrant that happened to be on her payroll for translating interviews during the making of the Second Cooler. Leign Ann was an outstanding youth, by all accounts. I cannot assess what that has done to Ellin, but she and her husband have met with the driver and reportedly have cried with him.

She has a fire for politics, that is for sure. I tried to get her involved in my efforts to get Rocky Anderson on the AL ballot (during the 2012 elections). She was not interested, she favored Jill Stein. Al said he would help but thought it was hopeless (he was right - I needed 5000 signatures and only got about 700 as I remember). Ellin felt like Obama was a traitor to what he ran on in 2008 - I agreed with her there.

These days Ellin is helping her friend Linda Meigs run for state representative (I had mistakenly said Linda was running against Mo Brooks for US Rep in our district). Linda is great, a retired French teacher and very good speaker. She also goes to our church. Al Jimmerson knows Doug Jones (a US Attorney) who will run against the Judge Moore/Luther Strange winner for Jeff Sessions Senate position. I need to get involved in both of those campaigns - many of my best friends are getting involved in both. I’m too busy running the Discovery Center and helping my daughter by homeschooling her son Elijah while she in not able to do so. Read Prayer Requests.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Waiting on Jimmerson to reply

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:22 am

I linked Keith's testimony to Ellin's facebook page. Waiting on her reply.

Meanwhile Keith if you are coming through Collinsville for a day trip to the NB Covenant in Atlanta next weekend, would love to hitch a ride over.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 8941
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Waiting on Jimmerson to reply

Postby KeithE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:I linked Keith's testimony to Ellin's facebook page. Waiting on her reply.

Meanwhile Keith if you are coming through Collinsville for a day trip to the NB Covenant in Atlanta next weekend, would love to hitch a ride over.


I will not be able to go the the NB Covenant meeting.

Read a PM I just sent you.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Waiting on Jimmerson to reply

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

KeithE wrote:
Stephen Fox wrote:I linked Keith's testimony to Ellin's facebook page. Waiting on her reply.

Meanwhile Keith if you are coming through Collinsville for a day trip to the NB Covenant in Atlanta next weekend, would love to hitch a ride over.


I will not be able to go the the NB Covenant meeting.

Read a PM I just sent you.


Ed: I do not think this is a great time to plan a trip to Atlanta next week end.
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am

Re: Waiting on Jimmerson to reply

Postby KeithE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:02 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:
KeithE wrote:
Stephen Fox wrote:Meanwhile Keith if you are coming through Collinsville for a day trip to the NB Covenant in Atlanta next weekend, would love to hitch a ride over.

I will not be able to go the the NB Covenant meeting.


Ed: I do not think this is a great time to plan a trip to Atlanta next week end.


The New Baptist Covenant Summit is not until Sept 18-19 a Monday and Tuesday. Storms should be through there by that time.

I usually do go through Collinsville when going to Central Atlanta but I still don’t plan to go to the NBC Summit or anywhere (except Franklin TN) until my daughter is more self-sufficient.

Ed, glad to see you are not yet gone home to Clermont, FL. If you plan to come down I-75 late next week, it might be a big traffic jam. You are welcome to drop by Huntsville on your way home if you want to stall for awhile.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Ellin Jimmerson

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Ed: Thanks Keith, but we will be in Louisville until at least Tuesday morning. We could make it to Atlanta by next Friday But after an all day meeting on Monday, I am not going to push to make the NBC meeting. Actually if you notice, we slowed down when we left southern California, even more after Portland. We have done all three of the major routes from Louisville to South Florida several times by car, when each of us where at SBTS.
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jon Estes and 1 guest