Harvey...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Re: Harvey...

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Sandy wrote: This [loony-tunes professor affair] was a right wing conspiracy, through and through.


And now it turns out that Comey was writing Hillary's exoneration long before even the Bubba-Lynch tete-a-tete and even before Hillary was interviewed by the FBI (with Comey somewhere else, maybe in Philadelphia), not that the interview mattered, as Comey made plain in his grand 13-minute non-indictment, in which he meticulously itemized her profligacies. Perhaps you should forget any medication or even seeing a shrink vis-a-vis the election and just wing it...maybe go on a cruise to Alaska before it gets too cold. Or, you could join the AntiFa crowd and have some fun. They're your kind of folks sans the violence, of course, although you might not hurt anyone if you just throw marshmallows.
Jim
 
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Harvey...

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Sandy wrote:He wasn't fired, he was asked for his resignation...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/ ... te/2335504
Sandy, your post leaves me confused. You say he was not fired, but then link to a news story that says 4 or 5 times that he was fired -- and never mentions his being asked to resign. Am I missing something?
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Harvey...

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Where Harvey’s effects were felt the most in Texas
https://apps.texastribune.org/harvey-fema-damage-analysis/
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Harvey...

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Sandy wrote:He wasn't fired, he was asked for his resignation...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/ ... te/2335504
Sandy, your post leaves me confused. You say he was not fired, but then link to a news story that says 4 or 5 times that he was fired -- and never mentions his being asked to resign. Am I missing something?


The news story that I linked said that the university "accepted his resignation." They have updated the story since then. I guess the details of their settlement won't be released, since that's personnel information, but I'd bet it was big enough to be accompanied by a settlement agreement.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8130
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Harvey...

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm

KeithE wrote:Trump would be out of a job 10’s of times.
I must assume you meant 100's of times! :lol:
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Harvey...

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Sandy wrote:The news story that I linked said that the university "accepted his resignation."They have updated the story since then.
Yes, there is nothing now in the text of the story about resign, resignation, etc. Thanks.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Harvey...

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Sandy wrote: This [loony-tunes professor affair] was a right wing conspiracy, through and through.


And now it turns out that Comey was writing Hillary's exoneration long before even the Bubba-Lynch tete-a-tete and even before Hillary was interviewed by the FBI (with Comey somewhere else, maybe in Philadelphia), not that the interview mattered, as Comey made plain in his grand 13-minute non-indictment, in which he meticulously itemized her profligacies. Perhaps you should forget any medication or even seeing a shrink vis-a-vis the election and just wing it...maybe go on a cruise to Alaska before it gets too cold. Or, you could join the AntiFa crowd and have some fun. They're your kind of folks sans the violence, of course, although you might not hurt anyone if you just throw marshmallows.


If you want any more evidence that Jim has no facts, and nothing to say, this run of verbal diarrhea is pretty convincing.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8130
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: Harvey...

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:45 pm

KeithE wrote:What do ya’ll make of this story.
The irony of the story yields all sorts of fodder, from humor to hate. I feel for him as I do most anyone else.

I find myself, regarding weather, often at odds with prevailing viewpoints of other folks, even other Christians. Some people seem to think when God created the world he just turned on a weather machine that operates on autopilot. I believe the Bible teaches that God controls the winds, the rains and the waves. If he doesn't we probably should stop praying for rain and such like. If God sends rain on the just and the unjust, I doubt not that he can send storms on the just and the unjust as well. I do not doubt that God can, has and will use the elements in judgment, but I am not comfortable with strategies such as those of Perkins and others who are confident that they can identify when God is doing so. Luke 13:1-5 can be a guide to wisdom in this area of thought:
There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Perhaps our first thought ought not to be about God judging others, but a reminder of how we stand before God, to whom we must give account.
User avatar
Rvaughn
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Harvey...

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Sandy wrote:
Jim wrote:
Sandy wrote: This [loony-tunes professor affair] was a right wing conspiracy, through and through.


And now it turns out that Comey was writing Hillary's exoneration long before even the Bubba-Lynch tete-a-tete and even before Hillary was interviewed by the FBI (with Comey somewhere else, maybe in Philadelphia), not that the interview mattered, as Comey made plain in his grand 13-minute non-indictment, in which he meticulously itemized her profligacies. Perhaps you should forget any medication or even seeing a shrink vis-a-vis the election and just wing it...maybe go on a cruise to Alaska before it gets too cold. Or, you could join the AntiFa crowd and have some fun. They're your kind of folks sans the violence, of course, although you might not hurt anyone if you just throw marshmallows.


If you want any more evidence that Jim has no facts, and nothing to say, this run of verbal diarrhea is pretty convincing.


He felt a twinge, thought tooth-decay
And fumed since this had ruined his day
But dentist found no abscess so
He trucked on down to Doctor Moe
Who listened quietly and said
To see a shrink, his mind was dead,
The trouble somewhere in his head...
Gave verbal-diarrhea med!
Jim
 
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Harvey...

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:29 pm

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

That is precisely the passage that comes to mind when these "Got what they had coming" notions crop up on most any side of most any issue.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11624
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Harvey...

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Jim wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Jim wrote:And now it turns out that Comey was writing Hillary's exoneration long before even the Bubba-Lynch tete-a-tete and even before Hillary was interviewed by the FBI (with Comey somewhere else, maybe in Philadelphia), not that the interview mattered, as Comey made plain in his grand 13-minute non-indictment, in which he meticulously itemized her profligacies. Perhaps you should forget any medication or even seeing a shrink vis-a-vis the election and just wing it...maybe go on a cruise to Alaska before it gets too cold. Or, you could join the AntiFa crowd and have some fun. They're your kind of folks sans the violence, of course, although you might not hurt anyone if you just throw marshmallows.


If you want any more evidence that Jim has no facts, and nothing to say, this run of verbal diarrhea is pretty convincing.


He felt a twinge, thought tooth-decay
And fumed since this had ruined his day
But dentist found no abscess so
He trucked on down to Doctor Moe
Who listened quietly and said
To see a shrink, his mind was dead,
The trouble somewhere in his head...
Gave verbal-diarrhea med!


Comey’s writing an exoneration of Hillary before her email practices were seriously investigated is at least a purported fact (heard that on FoxNews). It has not been challenged by Comey or refuted by other news channels, to my knowledge (correct me if Illm wrong).

Jim’s delving into Sandy’s purported use of medication/need for a shrink is not fact (just fanciful sarcasm) and is in very poor taste. Although the marshmallow throwing is clever imagery, the point of his poem escapes me (remember I’m just an engineer).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Harvey...

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
KeithE wrote:What do ya’ll make of this story.
The irony of the story yields all sorts of fodder, from humor to hate. I feel for him as I do most anyone else.

I find myself, regarding weather, often at odds with prevailing viewpoints of other folks, even other Christians. Some people seem to think when God created the world he just turned on a weather machine that operates on autopilot. I believe the Bible teaches that God controls the winds, the rains and the waves. If he doesn't we probably should stop praying for rain and such like. If God sends rain on the just and the unjust, I doubt not that he can send storms on the just and the unjust as well. I do not doubt that God can, has and will use the elements in judgment, but I am not comfortable with strategies such as those of Perkins and others who are confident that they can identify when God is doing so. Luke 13:1-5 can be a guide to wisdom in this area of thought:
There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Perhaps our first thought ought not to be about God judging others, but a reminder of how we stand before God, to whom we must give account.

I agree that "we all must give an account”.

On the Tony Perkins story, both Tony Perkins and those anti-Perkins who dwell of the irony thereof are wrongheaded. Only God knows what situations He has intervened in.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Harvey...

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Engineer K: Jim’s delving into Sandy’s purported use of medication/need for a shrink is not fact (just fanciful sarcasm) and is in very poor taste. Although the marshmallow throwing is clever imagery, the point of his poem escapes me (remember I’m just an engineer).

He said he was an engineer
And said REMEMBER THAT...oh dear!!!
I had forgotten what he meant,
That engineer is heaven-sent,
It also is a code-word for
Mnemonic prowess and therefore
Means smarter than old J. Fred Muggs...
Thinks ordinary guys are slugs.

Keep trying and some day you'll get the point...or not.
Jim
 
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Harvey...

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Jim wrote:Engineer K: Jim’s delving into Sandy’s purported use of medication/need for a shrink is not fact (just fanciful sarcasm) and is in very poor taste. Although the marshmallow throwing is clever imagery, the point of his poem escapes me (remember I’m just an engineer).

He said he was an engineer
And said REMEMBER THAT...oh dear!!!
I had forgotten what he meant,
That engineer is heaven-sent,
It also is a code-word for
Mnemonic prowess and therefore
Means smarter than old J. Fred Muggs...
Thinks ordinary guys are slugs.

Keep trying and some day you'll get the point...or not.


What I meant was, Jim, is that I do not always get the point(s) of a poem. Engineers notoriously are not very literary. It was a self-deprecatory statement (not as you suggest in your poem above - that poem I did understand).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Harvey...

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 am

KeithE wrote: Engineers notoriously are not very literary. It was a self-deprecatory statement (not as you suggest in your poem above - that poem I did understand).


Whether self-deprecatory or not, you're dead wrong about engineers. Cases in point are Einstein and Albert Schweitzer, both of them pay-grades above the level of engineer. Einstein played the piano and was a classical violinist who played many times in public. I just listened on an Internet site to his rendition of a Mozart sonata...beautiful. As an old man, he said his greatest joy in life was his violin, named “Lina” by him, (or music or both). Schweitzer, besides being a physician, was a concert organist who also wrote many books, one of which was “The Light Within Us,” written at age 84. As a schoolteacher I taught algebra, plane geometry, trigonometry and solid geometry and I love music/literature as almost a sanity-saver (though some say it didn't actually save mine). Indeed, an engineer's training places him at a tremendous advantage both musically and literary-wise since both arts demand a certain passion, hard work, and an understanding of how things are neatly put together. Don't ever sell engineers short. Mathematicians/scientists make excellent writers and musicians.
Jim
 
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Harvey...

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Jim wrote:
KeithE wrote: Engineers notoriously are not very literary. It was a self-deprecatory statement (not as you suggest in your poem above - that poem I did understand).


Whether self-deprecatory or not, you're dead wrong about engineers. Cases in point are Einstein and Albert Schweitzer, both of them pay-grades above the level of engineer. Einstein played the piano and was a classical violinist who played many times in public. I just listened on an Internet site to his rendition of a Mozart sonata...beautiful. As an old man, he said his greatest joy in life was his violin, named “Lina” by him, (or music or both). Schweitzer, besides being a physician, was a concert organist who also wrote many books, one of which was “The Light Within Us,” written at age 84. As a schoolteacher I taught algebra, plane geometry, trigonometry and solid geometry and I love music/literature as almost a sanity-saver (though some say it didn't actually save mine). Indeed, an engineer's training places him at a tremendous advantage both musically and literary-wise since both arts demand a certain passion, hard work, and an understanding of how things are neatly put together. Don't ever sell engineers short. Mathematicians/scientists make excellent writers and musicians.

Thank you Jim.

I’m not very literary tough (as I’m sure most of you have seen). And I did not understand your poem about Sandy.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Harvey...

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 pm

KeithE wrote: And I did not understand your poem about Sandy.


Take another look at what you called it: just fanciful sarcasm. You nailed it. That's exactly what it was. You definitely got the point.
Jim
 
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests