Antifa

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Re: Antifa

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:41 pm

William Thornton wrote:teacher led Brownshirt thugs

Interesting...

The Daily Caller, a.k.a., the Daily Liar. No fact zone.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:50 pm

No facts except an arrest record, etc. Better put, no facts that Sandy is willing to accept because they don't fit his ihatetrump narrative.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Maybe CBS San Francisco Bay Area is "legit" enough?
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 pm

William Thornton wrote:
KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Keith occasionally gets into a mood where he wants to school marm a discussion. While I'll respectfully consider why he does so if it involves me, the best course is almost always to ignore it and move along. People sometimes get frustrated here. Blame it on Trump and the unexpected election result.

So William (again) assigns moods and frustrations of others to unexpected election results (underlined above). The classier thing to do is actually engage the points being made.

He also re-uses his old line about me being like a school marm. Merriam- Webster Defintion of "school marm”.
noun, Older Use.
a female schoolteacher, especially of the old-time country school type, popularly held to be strict and priggish.

I stand by it. You'd save yourself a lot of angst if you would let things go.

If you stand by it, then read, consider, and maybe learn from the teacher's use of facts (even DATAplots).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Rvaughn wrote:Maybe CBS San Francisco Bay Area is "legit" enough?

Looks like a legit story to me. Anti-nazis are not above breaking the law or being violent.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:46 pm

William Thornton wrote:No facts except an arrest record, etc. Better put, no facts that Sandy is willing to accept because they don't fit his ihatetrump narrative.

It should be no surprise that there are antifascists out there, nor should it be a surprise that there are a few groups willing to respond to the violence of the white supremacist, neo-Nazi "fascist" extreme right, including the perceived favor of the Trump administration. The acceleration of violence from the extremist right generates all kinds of responses, including some that is retaliatory in nature from a few fringe groups. These events have been few, far between, and universally condemned by the political left. The right, however, completely inflates their influence in order to use thee few isolated events as justification for the widespread violence committed by the white supremacist, neo-Nazi alt right groups, and as an excuse for refusing to condemn the racist bigotry and the violence. That's more or less what this story in the Daily Caller does, and they are flat out wrong. End of story.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Well, Sandy, some of your recent comments made it sound as if you were denying that some antifascists, or people proclaiming themselves such, had broken windows etc.in their antireactionary zeal. While theDC is not an unbiased source (and its biases are not ones in accordance with our own), they often embed links to less biased sources where their assertions can be fully vetted as if they were refugees.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 am

KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Keith occasionally gets into a mood where he wants to school marm a discussion. While I'll respectfully consider why he does so if it involves me, the best course is almost always to ignore it and move along. People sometimes get frustrated here. Blame it on Trump and the unexpected election result.

So William (again) assigns moods and frustrations of others to unexpected election results (underlined above). The classier thing to do is actually engage the points being made.

He also re-uses his old line about me being like a school marm. Merriam- Webster Defintion of "school marm”.
noun, Older Use.
1. a female schoolteacher, especially of the old-time country school type, popularly held to be strict and priggish.
    William Thornton wrote:I stand by it. You'd save yourself a lot of angst if you would let things go.

Amen...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 am

Haruo wrote:Well, Sandy, some of your recent comments made it sound as if you were denying that some antifascists, or people proclaiming themselves such, had broken windows etc.in their antireactionary zeal. While theDC is not an unbiased source (and its biases are not ones in accordance with our own), they often embed links to less biased sources where their assertions can be fully vetted as if they were refugees.

Not at all. There are some individuals and groups, billing themselves as antifascist, or even identifying with "Antifa" who have used violence to get some attention. Is it representative of all "antifascists" or antifascist groups? No. Is it characteristic of the political left, which biased right wing journalism is attempting to do? No, in fact, this kind of violence is antithetical to the political philosophy of the left, virtually across its entire spectrum as it exists in the US. Is this kind of violence common to the antifascist movement? No. Is the violence anywhere near the level of the white supremacist, KKK, Neo-Nazi alt right groups? No. Is the extremist right wing media inflating it out of proportion to try and divert attention from the size and scope of the alt right, and the fact that it is emboldened by a tacit endorsement from the Trump administration, which has included several of its number in leadership? Absolutely.
Sandy
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues