Idiocy continues

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Idiocy continues

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

ESPN pulls UVA football announcer from duties because of his name... HIS NAME...

Robert Lee will not be announcing games at UVA because his name is too controversial.

Robert Lee is Asian... people.

Stupid left.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: Idiocy continues

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 am

Then there's Senator Contrail...it doesn't get any better than this.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:16 am

Jon Estes wrote:ESPN pulls UVA football announcer from duties because of his name... HIS NAME...

Robert Lee will not be announcing games at UVA because his name is too controversial.

Stupid left.

Are you sure that has anything to do with the left. ESPN is owned by Disney. This seems more a "Mickey Mouse decision."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

Dave Roberts wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:ESPN pulls UVA football announcer from duties because of his name... HIS NAME...

Stupid left.

Are you sure that has anything to do with the left. ESPN is owned by Disney. This seems more a "Mickey Mouse decision."

If you think Disney is a conservative company, you are as Goofy as Eisner and Igor..
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am

Jon Estes wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:

Stupid left.

If you think Disney is a conservative company, you are as Goofy as Eisner and Igor..

Did I say anything in defense of the decision or of Disney? I thought I was trying to inject a wee bit of humor. Evidently, Jon, you've broken your funny bone.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:Are you sure that has anything to do with the left. ESPN is owned by Disney. This seems more a "Mickey Mouse decision."

:lol:

The real idiocy here is conservatives who jump up at anything like this and try to twist it into something that they can use to slam anyone they don't like and don't agree with. This was an internal company decision by some mid-level management people who are much more focused on the public image of their network than they are on the issue. The "left" had nothing to do with it, and it is not consistent with their advocacy of removing the statues of Confederates.
Last edited by Sandy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Yeah, but it's gotta stop. Robert Lee is a common name for lots of people living today. For any of them to lose employment because of their name is a far greater injustice than any number of statues. To the extent that "the left" contributes to it, that's wrong. But of course it wasn't a decision by "the left" in any meaningful sense, and Dave's humor was well taken. It is indeed a Mickey Mouse decision,
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 pm

While I agree nothing bad would have likely happened if Robert Lee called the game in Charlottesville. But ya’ll should realize that Robert Lee was not “fired” but reassigned to another game (was William and Mary at UVA, now is Youngstown State vs Pittsburgh).

ESPN, which has faced accusations of liberal bias that some observers believe has led to a downtick in viewership, said it moved its announcer to the Youngstown State game at Pittsburgh.

To avoid offending left wing idiots Robert Lee, the Asian college football announcer, not the Confederate General who died in 1870 and shares a name with him, was switched to the Youngstown State at Pittsburgh game and Dave Weekley will now call the William and Mary at University of Virginia game.

Source of the above http://www.snopes.com/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn/

It would be a great harm on Robert if he were fired. But as is, it is no big deal to him. In fact it has hyped his national fame, and he gets to call a better game (ratings-wise).

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs
Pittsburgh got 23 votes on the initial NCAA poll and Youngstown State has traditionally been a strong football team. UVA and of course William and Mary got no votes.

BTW, note who is on top by a long shot.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:06 pm

KeithE wrote:While I agree nothing bad would have likely happened if Robert Lee called the game in Charlottesville. But ya’ll should realize that Robert Lee was not “fired” but reassigned to another game (was William and Mary at UVA, now is Youngstown State vs Pittsburgh).

ESPN, which has faced accusations of liberal bias that some observers believe has led to a downtick in viewership, said it moved its announcer to the Youngstown State game at Pittsburgh.

To avoid offending left wing idiots Robert Lee, the Asian college football announcer, not the Confederate General who died in 1870 and shares a name with him, was switched to the Youngstown State at Pittsburgh game and Dave Weekley will now call the William and Mary at University of Virginia game.

Source of the above http://www.snopes.com/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn/

It would be a great harm on Robert if he were fired. But as is, it is no big deal to him. In fact it has hyped his national fame, and he gets to call a better game (ratings-wise).

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs
Pittsburgh got 23 votes on the initial NCAA poll and Youngstown State has traditionally been a strong football team. UVA and of course William and Mary got no votes.

BTW, note who is on top by a long shot.

Thanks, Keith. In this case I'm the one who feels like an idiot. I don't appreciate the way Jon yanked my chain, but I might have done the same thing in some other situation so it's just part of being a sinful human, I guess. Given what I now understand to be the facts of the matter, I don't think the story has anything to do with liberals, and probably not with "the left" in any meaningful sense. Whether the death threats were deadly idiocy or "harmless" pranks, it sounds like ESPN did the right thing by Mr. Lee and UVA.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:
Did I say anything in defense of the decision or of Disney? I thought I was trying to inject a wee bit of humor. Evidently, Jon, you've broken your funny bone.

jle - The reason for me capitalizing Goofy. Just offering humor to yours.

Jon Estes

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Sandy wrote:The real idiocy here is conservatives who jump up at anything like this and try to twist it into something that they can use to slam anyone they don't like and don't agree with. This was an internal company decision by some mid-level management people who are much more focused on the public image of their network than they are on the issue.
It is interesting to see how this has been reported by various news media, usually with a "conservative or liberal" spin according to the point they are trying to make.

Sandy is right that this was an internal company decision, though nothing I've read has made it very clear whether it was a response to outside pressure or an idea that rose within ESPN itself. It is also reported than Robert Lee himself was in favor of making the switch, though I've not seen anyone quote him on the matter either. These kinds of decisions for "public image" often have a way of backfiring, offering as much negative impact on public image as positive. ESPN (which I don't watch and not defending) was probably in something of a no-win situation, to be criticized whether they had not caught or ignored the name "problem" or if they did something.

R. E. Lee Memorial (Episcopal) Church in Lexington, Virginia is (and has been) debating whether to change its name. With a name like Robert Lee Vaughn, I am interested in how far things may go and if I might have to change my name!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/08/22/this-is-the-church-where-robert-e-lee-declared-himself-a-sinner-should-it-keep-his-name/?utm_term=.c6597d721e92

So far the predominantly black Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in Roanoke, Virginia has been unwilling to remove a stained glass window honoring Lt. Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.
Not slavery, nor war. Not segregation, nor civil rights. Not even fire could destroy the bonds forged more than 150 years ago between a group of Virginia slaves and a Confederate general...It was designed and ordered installed by the Rev. Lylburn Liggins Downing, the son of two former slaves who attended a Sunday school class taught by Jackson at Lexington Presbyterian Church in the 1850s.

http://www.roanoke.com/webmin/news/church-window-illuminates-complexity-of-past/article_26b3949f-0e73-5632-89cc-587654ad0eb6.html
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 am

From what I read there had been death threats if Lee covered the game at UVA. If true, you can hardly blame ESPN or Lee himself for wanting to send him elsewhere, and (again from what I've read) apparently his new assignment was also a step up in some ways.
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues