Worse Than Watergate

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Worse Than Watergate

Postby KeithE » Sat May 13, 2017 8:55 am

Five Reasons the Comey Affair Is Worse Than Watergate

1) The underlying offense: Small scale burglary vs collusion with foreign government
2) The blatancy of the interference: Scale and overtness of cover-up
3) The nature of the president: Impulsiveness of Trump (and resultant national discord) vs Nixon silence
4) The resiliency of the fabric of American institutions: Healthiness of AG Office response
5) The cravenness of party leaders: Continued partisanship with little regard to getting at the truth
(Read the article for more info)

I’ll add a sixth:

6) Trump publicly called on Russia to release derogatory info on Clinton

Trump said in July 2016
“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” the Republican nominee said at a news conference in Florida. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Nixon never publicly called on thieves (or anyone) to obtain derogatory info on Democrats during the 1972 election cycle.

So at least we can say Trump has done it more openly than Nixon did. Says something about our electorate.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Worse Than Watergate

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 13, 2017 11:17 am

It's time for Congress to stop waltzing around all of this, appoint a special prosecutor to seek the truth, and get it out where Americans can tell what is and is not fact. We are drowning in innuendo on this arena, and those who are the people's representatives are doing nothing to get the truth out. If they can't, 2018 may be a great year to fire your Congressman/Congresswoman.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 am

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/ ... index.html

58% disapproval, 36% approval with a drop among his "base". And though that's a CNN story, its a Quinnipiac poll, which is non-partisan, and from one of the most reputable polling sources in existence. I don't think it will be long before there's enough pressure to push enough Republicans to the point where they'll join the call for an independent investigator. I'd guess there's probably enough support for that in the Senate now. The congressman from the district that is next to mine, a Republican who won his seat by 1% in 2016, is sounding like he'd be in favor of it, as is one of the GOP candidates who announced for Bob Casey's senate seat.

People have their hard line views, but "party first, America second" is a loser. George Washington warned the new nation about the dangers of partisan politics, and he was right.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Mrs Haruo » Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 am

As an antidote to the sour stomachs the present political insanity storm is encouraging, may we present:

Watergate Salad!

Something I remember learning to make during the Nixon administration.
1 can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 pkg Jello Pistachio instant pudding
1 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans (pea kans or pea cons, depending on what part of the country y'all hail from)
1 1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip topping

Mix pineapple and pudding mix in a big bowl. Add marshmallows and stir. Gently fold in Cool Whip and chill in refrigerator an hour before serving. :D
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues