O'Reilly Fired by Fox

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/busi ... .html?_r=0

As advertisers and viewers desert in droves.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 am

Sandy wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html?_r=0

As advertisers and viewers desert in droves.


I guess this is a good day for you?

You cast stones with ease. :roll:
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby William Thornton » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 am

Never much cared for the guy. Don't watch him. Won't miss him.

I like the 6:00 Fox News, Chris Wallace and most of their commentators, especially krauthammer. If tucker Carlson get in at 8pm, I'll catch that occasionally. Megan never did much for me.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11806
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:53 am

William Thornton wrote:Never much cared for the guy. Don't watch him. Won't miss him.

I like the 6:00 Fox News, Chris Wallace and most of their commentators, especially krauthammer. If tucker Carlson get in at 8pm, I'll catch that occasionally. Megan never did much for me.


Greg Gutfeld is the man. A little crude at times but love his monologues and writings. Good head on his shoulders concerning politics. IMPO.

Worth the watch and enjoy the humor.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5391119919001/?playlist_id=4249245556001#sp=show-clips
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 am

How many male employees of Fox will be left if the get rid of all the those committing sexual misconduct?
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 am

Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html?_r=0

As advertisers and viewers desert in droves.


I guess this is a good day for you?

You cast stones with ease. :roll:


No stones thrown here. The integrity and trustworthiness of media outlets, and pseudo-journalist commentators like O'Reilly has been the topic of many discussions here, and the standard applied by the conservative, evangelical right has always equated trustworthiness of sources with the integrity of their behavior. Except when the bad behavior is exhibited by someone they like, who agrees with their position. I'm just linking an article pointing to the news.

I guess I'm just old fashioned and out of touch. I tend to think things like adultery and sexual assault are sinful and wrong, and letting individuals off the hook for doing it because they are wealthy, powerful and famous was corrupt. Apparently, that now puts you at odds with conservatives and evangelicals, or at least a majority of them, who seem to think that those things are perfectly OK as long as the person agrees with them politically, and they are wealthy and famous.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 am

Sandy wrote:
I guess I'm just old fashioned and out of touch. I tend to think things like adultery and sexual assault are sinful and wrong, and letting individuals off the hook for doing it because they are wealthy, powerful and famous was corrupt. Apparently, that now puts you at odds with conservatives and evangelicals, or at least a majority of them, who seem to think that those things are perfectly OK as long as the person agrees with them politically, and they are wealthy and famous.


What Sandy said!

when did the "moral majority" become the "approving of immorality if they are in the GOP...."
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:How many male employees of Fox will be left if the get rid of all the those committing sexual misconduct?


Ed: Tim, are you suggesting that only males are ever guilty of sexual misconduct?
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:Ed: Tim, are you suggesting that only males are ever guilty of sexual misconduct?


No, Ed. But it appears that at Fox a culture and pattern of male sexual abuse was either encouraged or at least overlooked and covered up. So far I've not heard any allegations of any of the female employees being abusers.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:How many male employees of Fox will be left if the get rid of all the those committing sexual misconduct?

And there has been charges of racial discrimination as well.
Third Fox News employee joins racial discrimination lawsuit (dated April 4).

It’s the attitude.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8403
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:How many male employees of Fox will be left if the get rid of all the those committing sexual misconduct?


I have no idea. How many?
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Sandy wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html?_r=0

As advertisers and viewers desert in droves.


I guess this is a good day for you?

You cast stones with ease. :roll:


No stones thrown here. The integrity and trustworthiness of media outlets, and pseudo-journalist commentators like O'Reilly has been the topic of many discussions here, and the standard applied by the conservative, evangelical right has always equated trustworthiness of sources with the integrity of their behavior. Except when the bad behavior is exhibited by someone they like, who agrees with their position. I'm just linking an article pointing to the news.

I guess I'm just old fashioned and out of touch. I tend to think things like adultery and sexual assault are sinful and wrong, and letting individuals off the hook for doing it because they are wealthy, powerful and famous was corrupt. Apparently, that now puts you at odds with conservatives and evangelicals, or at least a majority of them, who seem to think that those things are perfectly OK as long as the person agrees with them politically, and they are wealthy and famous.


I agree the sexual devience (sp?) of anyone is sin. Even O'Reilly.

What I do know, and so do you, that O'Reilly is innocent until proven guilty. Oh, I think he has done wrong (my opinion). I am not sure that all accusations are of the nature being presented. I could be wrong. He was not fired for good behavior, whether sexual or anger issues.

On some issues, I would agree with you... you are out of touch.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:
JE Pettibone wrote:Ed: Tim, are you suggesting that only males are ever guilty of sexual misconduct?


No, Ed. But it appears that at Fox a culture and pattern of male sexual abuse was either encouraged or at least overlooked and covered up. So far I've not heard any allegations of any of the female employees being abusers.


So, out of thousands of employees, it takes two incidents to make it a culture and pattern?

That is as sad as that ing the GOP pushing the Medicare lady in a wheelchair off a cliff... or the accusation that the GOP wants to kill people because they do not support the ACA under Obama.

Extreme language that does not fit a fair conversation.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
User avatar
Jon Estes
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal term. Settling to avoid a trial is an admission of guilt. You don't settle if you're innocent. O'Reilly's good buddy the orange haired buffoon in the White House told him that. Yep, the same pathological liar who has settled a dozen such cases himself.

Fox News does not have "thousands" of employees working in the specific headquarters office where O'Reilly and the executive level is located. Counting the consultants and commentators, there may be about 200 employees. And it's not just two incidents.

I'm pretty sure that if this involved a mainstream media group, or one of the "liberal" cable companies, you would not object to the same language being applied.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Jon Estes wrote:On some issues, I would agree with you... you are out of touch.


Yeah, I'm not not going to catch on to this new evangelical Christian interpretation of faith and values. It is to hard to keep up with the flip flops and changes. What was wrong a couple of decades ago is right now. The only sin, apparently, is abortion. There are allowances and excuses available from political examples for just about everything else. As Molly Worthen pointed out in an article that is discussed in another thread, conservative evangelicals are coalescing around a new value, show them the money.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

Sandy wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:On some issues, I would agree with you... you are out of touch.


Yeah, I'm not not going to catch on to this new evangelical Christian interpretation of faith and values. It is to hard to keep up with the flip flops and changes. What was wrong a couple of decades ago is right now. The only sin, apparently, is abortion. There are allowances and excuses available from political examples for just about everything else. As Molly Worthen pointed out in an article that is discussed in another thread, conservative evangelicals are coalescing around a new value, show them the money.
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

Risking a thread drift here..

Just how many of the right wing-nut crowd will be lost without instructions from Bill O?
Joseph Patrick
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:53 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am

Sandy wrote:Settling to avoid a trial is an admission of guilt.

Most of the time, but not always. However, from what I've read about it, it looks very unlikely that this was a case of the minority variety.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11684
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:39 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

Risking a thread drift here..

Just how many of the right wing-nut crowd will be lost without instructions from Bill O?

He will be replaced, probably not by a liberal. But it can't help but reduce the direction of the masses.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11684
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Fox News elected W 43

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Never much cared for the guy. Don't watch him. Won't miss him.

I like the 6:00 Fox News, Chris Wallace and most of their commentators, especially krauthammer. If tucker Carlson get in at 8pm, I'll catch that occasionally. Megan never did much for me.


Greg Gutfeld is the man. A little crude at times but love his monologues and writings. Good head on his shoulders concerning politics. IMPO.

Worth the watch and enjoy the humor.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5391119919001/?playlist_id=4249245556001#sp=show-clips


Greg Gutfeld is an Ass, a donkey's rear end of the first order with Watter's World. Occasionally Oreilly and the SNL comedian had a good line but Fox News is a creation of the Devil,Nixon's Revenge and the worst of Nixon.

The masturbators Oreilly and Roger Ailes, their sexual release of choice is grand metaphor for their politics and ideology.

The politics of resentment as they perfected the evolution of Lee Atwater's n.....ger memo into abortion politics the religion card and Ben Ghazi with the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC as instructive.

NPR made a good case yesterday Fox out of the gate in 96 with the Ailes Strategy put W in the White House and gave us all those missing limbs and damaged brains of the Iraq War, surely Christ work in the world, value of human life. NPR said two percent of the strategic electoral college vote could be attributed to Fox News first six years.

What a legacy

Here is one of the better takes on Oreily's downfall with a great pic of him and Trump

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ll/523665/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 8998
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Jim
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm

The sexual harassment at Fox News is not, according to reports, something new. Maybe they let this happen because of recent ratings changes.

Starting with Joe Scarborough and MIka Bzezinski a couple of years ago, with a less one-sided approach and more discussion and debate with contributors, MSNBC pretty much got away from the commentator-entertainer model in its evening format, and went with hard news programs right up to 10 pm eastern time. Maddow anchors that at one end, and now they've got Greta Van Susteren at the other. Maddow started beating O'Reilly's ratings with her reporting on the Flint water crisis, and has doubled her audience during the buffoon's candidacy and presidency. So maybe Fox has decided the best way to make changes is to let the chips fall, and stop paying the hush money. All their ratings magnets and top journalists have migrated elsewhere. Megyn Kelly was a draw, regardless of the format she used, and so was Van Susteren. It will be interesting to see if they have anyone who can get back up to where O'Reilly was at his peak. I'm sure there's still a market for a far right niche that would rather hear one-sided commentary and name calling than hard news, but it seems like that's a shrinking group more so than it was a decade ago.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

I have been trying to sort this over the weekend. This is only my opinion, based on what I have read from a variety of sources. First, O'Reilly has not been convicted of any crime. Second, O'Reilly has been multiply accused of sexual harassment and settlements have been paid. Third, my suspicion is that Fox had had enough of this from him and made a business decision, not necessarily a moral one. Letting him go was considered the best thing to do for the bottom line, not for the network reputation. Fourth, handing out a golden parachute seems the way networks deal with those no longer in their best graces. Never fear, he will pop up again on some site.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6959
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I have been trying to sort this over the weekend. This is only my opinion, based on what I have read from a variety of sources. First, O'Reilly has not been convicted of any crime. Second, O'Reilly has been multiply accused of sexual harassment and settlements have been paid. Third, my suspicion is that Fox had had enough of this from him and made a business decision, not necessarily a moral one. Letting him go was considered the best thing to do for the bottom line, not for the network reputation. Fourth, handing out a golden parachute seems the way networks deal with those no longer in their best graces. Never fear, he will pop up again on some site.


I think it's probably a business decision in that it may cost them less in the long run that to keep negotiating settlements and payouts. Well, some conservative, Evangelical religious denominations have also gone the way of the golden parachutes to grant favors and give out rewards for loyalty.

I'll be curious to see where O'Reilly winds up. As Fox News has leaked some of its key people, and they've headed elsewhere, they've stopped parroting the far right line and are genuinely in the "fair and balanced" category. Van Susteren fit right in at MSNBC. Of course, she's a journalist, not a commentator. I don't think a makeover would work for O'Reilly, and his ratings were already heading south before all this came out.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8174
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Rural Western Pennsylvania

Re: O'Reilly Fired by Fox

Postby KeithE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 am

Sandy wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:I have been trying to sort this over the weekend. This is only my opinion, based on what I have read from a variety of sources. First, O'Reilly has not been convicted of any crime. Second, O'Reilly has been multiply accused of sexual harassment and settlements have been paid. Third, my suspicion is that Fox had had enough of this from him and made a business decision, not necessarily a moral one. Letting him go was considered the best thing to do for the bottom line, not for the network reputation. Fourth, handing out a golden parachute seems the way networks deal with those no longer in their best graces. Never fear, he will pop up again on some site.


I think it's probably a business decision in that it may cost them less in the long run that to keep negotiating settlements and payouts. Well, some conservative, Evangelical religious denominations have also gone the way of the golden parachutes to grant favors and give out rewards for loyalty.

I'll be curious to see where O'Reilly winds up. As Fox News has leaked some of its key people, and they've headed elsewhere, they've stopped parroting the far right line and are genuinely in the "fair and balanced" category. Van Susteren fit right in at MSNBC. Of course, she's a journalist, not a commentator. I don't think a makeover would work for O'Reilly, and his ratings were already heading south before all this came out.

Just heard on TV that O’Reilly will start (or is it continue?) to come out with a podcast tonight.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8403
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest