GOP May be in trouble in Alabama Senate Seat

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

GOP May be in trouble in Alabama Senate Seat

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Luther Strange was the attorney general in Alabama who was in charge of the Gov Bentley investigation, and for all of the stalling and obfuscation he did to protect his good buddy, he got Session's senate seat when he went to DC. He also got Bentley's favor in setting the special election to fill the seat permanently more than two years down the road, 2018. Then Bentley suddenly is no longer the governor. The new governor of Alabama decided that enough was enough when it came to political favors, and set the special election for December of this year. So now the GOP is stuck with a senator, appointed by a governor whose favor has tanked, who will have to run as an incumbent in the face of what is pretty significant outrage over Bentley, his scandal, and this appointment. Fun shenanigans to watch, to see if the GOP can field a candidate who can beat Strange in the primary and keep the seat in their hands.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show
Sandy
Sandy

Re: GOP May be in trouble in Alabama Senate Seat

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

At the rate things are going the GOP might lose both houses of Congress in the midterms, it looks like to me. Which could make some of them (and the boss man if he's aware of such things) desperate to do as much damage as they can to the infrastructure in the next two and a half years, but luckily many of the others will probably wise up and protect their turf in less destructive ways. I hope.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: GOP May be in trouble in Alabama Senate Seat

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Sandy wrote:Luther Strange was the attorney general in Alabama who was in charge of the Gov Bentley investigation, and for all of the stalling and obfuscation he did to protect his good buddy, he got Session's senate seat when he went to DC. He also got Bentley's favor in setting the special election to fill the seat permanently more than two years down the road, 2018. Then Bentley suddenly is no longer the governor. The new governor of Alabama decided that enough was enough when it came to political favors, and set the special election for December of this year. So now the GOP is stuck with a senator, appointed by a governor whose favor has tanked, who will have to run as an incumbent in the face of what is pretty significant outrage over Bentley, his scandal, and this appointment. Fun shenanigans to watch, to see if the GOP can field a candidate who can beat Strange in the primary and keep the seat in their hands.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

Hooray for Kay Ivey (new governor).

The field is crowded. Two that I would approve of are Tommy Battle (current mayor of Huntsville) and Young Boozer (yes that is his real name, state treasurer and Stanford grad). Battle is undergoing a “discernment” process administered by Trinity Methodist Church about running for governor or not- I think he will. I have met both of these guys.

Now that (and the BriarWorld discussion on another post) is more than you ever wanted to know about Alabama.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues