[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Freedom of the Press???

Freedom of the Press???

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Freedom of the Press???

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan
I guess that living in Jordan, with it's proximity to Israel and watching English news from both Israeli and Jordanian governmental news outlets, I learned to discern truth from fake news. While not 100% proficient at my discernment, it has helped me when I watch MSNBC, CNN and Fox news services. While none of them are perfect, we need to make sure we have a free press and avoid the muzzling that our current administration is attempting.
Joseph Patrick

Re: Freedom of the Press???

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:27 pm

The police statement in North Dakota, "From now on the police will tell you what is or is not news" struck me as much more ominous than the exclusion of a few major news organizations from Trump's press conference. The latter I can simply put down to the guy's penchant for spite; the former has the potential to make (literally) a police state of our republican democracy.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Coal or correspondents...guns or butter. Coal and guns sounds very masculine.

Did a summer mission trip to WV one year. The host church had a guy who was in charge of the explosives for "mountain top" removal coal mining. They were doing a blast that week and I asked to view it. He agreed but management nixed the idea.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Seriously, "muzzling" may be the wrong word, but are you guys (Ed and William) really oblivious to the efforts the administration (and #45, as we now call him, himself) have been making to illegitimize and sideline "the press" in the sense of CNN, BBC and the NYTimes? Are you unaware that for the president not to attend the WHCA dinner is an attempt to make the reporting industry feel less-than?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am

Trump has the means to go directly to news consumers without the filter of the media. The media can do the same. Let them both make their case.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 am

Journalism has changed drastically during the last generation or so.  Where once a reporter’s job was to simply report (front-page stuff with no bylines), now it is to report and in the same piece also interpret what the “facts” mean, always within the context of the institution’s agenda, the assumption being that the great unwashed (people like me) lack the sophistication to either understand the facts or decide what they entail.  During the recent campaigns, even the great unwashed recognized the flagrant effort of most of the media to see that Trump was painted as a hopeless ignorant troll, while Hillary was glamorized (no matter her stupid mistakes, not to mention secret servers) as the maid in shining armor to put the arrogant WASPM in his place and crack the glass ceiling.  Trump decided to outflank the media and go directly to the people with both the rallies the media were forced to cover because of their hugeness and by tweeting his positions, such as they were. He was helped by the inordinate dishonesty of the media (remember CNN’s debates in which Hillary was fed the proper material ahead of time).  The Russkies (at least some say) hacked the DNC and divulged the dishonesty of that body regarding the candidacy of Bernie Sanders, whom it bushwhacked successfully in favor of the maid in the empty pants-suit.  To satisfy its drive toward diversity, the DNC has just elected a Latino-American, Tom Perez, as its head and a black American-Muslim as his deputy.  The deputy, Congressman Keith Ellison, was once a huge supporter of NOI and its head honcho, Louis “Calypso Louie” Farrakhan, but is now a Sunni (same as Baghdadi) unless he's switched to Shiite or something else Muslim since 2007. Stay tuned to see how that combination makes politics doubly entertaining.

Jim

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 pm

You ought to start a newspaper, Jim. "He used to be a papist, like Mussolini and the IRA, but now he's still one unless he's changed to Protestant (same as David Koresh)."

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:43 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:23 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:41 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 pm

The last president who publicly went to war with the press was Richard Nixon. Trump is already losing his war with the media.

Most conservatives interpret anything negative about the politicians they admire as biased coverage, even when it is completely factual, just because they don't like it. And the fact of the matter is that the media gets is right far more often than it doesn't.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:39 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan
Quibble if you must (which is a 100% given on BaptistLife.com) over the word muzzle, but the title of this thread is freedom of the press and when the party in power intentionally blocks press access (1st amendment anyone???) of legitimate press outlets where does that fall on the "Freedom of the press" continuum?
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 am

I do not see where the Freedom of Press is being taken away from anyone.

I do see a reduction in the Freedom of Access.

All Presidents had their way of dealing with... handling of... sharing information to the media.

The self proclaimed most transparent Presidency of all time was anything but.

The current twitter addict is driving the media nuts and having the media called out on their lies as quick as they publish them is something new to the discourse.

When journalism becomes biased it is no longer real journalism.

We need some Dragnet journalism.

It is going to be an interesting 8 years.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:57 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:24 am

When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:01 pm

This Time article gives some interesting history of the interactions between President and Press.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Log on to Rachel Maddow's website tomorrow, and watch her segment from tonight. Check her sources.

What's going to matter in the long run isn't who gets access. It's who gets the facts, and how many people are paying attention. The alternative fact media that surrounds and sucks up to Trump doesn't have the power that the mainstream media does, because it just doesn't have the following. The mainstream media is trying very hard to be fair to the orange haired buffoon, but he keeps ramping up the rhetoric. The press will win the war.
Sandy

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues