Carson Newman and Furman Presidents anti Trump immigration

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Carson Newman and Furman Presidents anti Trump immigration

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 pm

Both went public on respective facebook walls. Good friends from their days at Baylor. I expect Mercer Prez Underwood to follow suit soon from the Baylor network as well. I know these are historically Baptist related in some cases, still good to see some keeping the faith.

And some of you may want to check the facebook wall of the Clay County Progress, NC home of George W Truett. Interesting chat there from the hinterlands of Western NC.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Carson Newman and Furman Presidents anti Trump immigrati

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Overall, either Baylor has little to no influence over the politics of its own region, or it is a bastion of conservative Republicanism. I suspect the latter is most likely the case, and being "moderate Baptist" doesn't equate to being Democrat, or to being politically progressive. The Republican majority in Texas shrivelled considerably in 2016, with the orange haired buffoon garnering 52% of the vote, to Clinton's 45%, a considerable shift from the 2012 percentages. Though the total vote was down by about 8%, in Baylor's back yard the buffoon picked up 61% to Clinton's 34%.

I would certainly hope that the buffoon's immigration move, which he characterized during the campaign very clearly as a deliberate attempt to stop Muslims specifically from entering the United States, would be as troublesome to moderate Baptists as it appears to be to just about everyone else except evangelical conservatives, who are already scrambling to twist and re-interpret scripture to justify the restriction.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues