[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Education Level Explains Trump Success

Education Level Explains Trump Success

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Education Level Explains Trump Success

Postby KeithE » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:22 am

Educational levels explains voting trends. Nate Silver’s statistical analysis: .

So as to not annoy the dinner party, those interested can look at the data plots themselves in this link.

As a reminder, Hillary has won the popular vote by nearly 2 Million votes,
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Alabama failed

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 am

To graduate HS students who defy the Daughters of Confederacy explanation for the Civil War thereby settin them up for the likes of Betsy Devos

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... -secretary
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Education Level Explains Trump Success

Postby William Thornton » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:46 am

I believe this is worth pursuing, have a graph fest. Subsequent and alternate headlines:

Dumb people elected Trump but thank God for the liberal elites who are too stupid to understand populism.

Clinton loss blamed on the electorate: They were too stupid to see her as a better candidate.

Literati, technorati, east and west coast liberals lament that those less educated just don't absorb their faculty lounge, wine and cheese brilliance.

Democrats propose restrictions on free speech, "We are just trying to protect the less fortunate, the less educated from information we think is unhelpful to them."

________

The Dems were smart enough to understand the electoral college and basic addition. They lost.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:41 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:58 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:39 am

A landslide isn't determined by the number of "counties" that a candidate carries, but by the margin between the top vote getter and the second place finisher. Counties are a matter of geography. When I taught Texas History, in the late 90's, it was noted that half of the population of the state lived in seven counties--Harris, Dallas, Bexar, Tarrant, Travis, El Paso, and Nueces, with the other half in the remaining 248. You can talk all you want to about the elite who live on the coasts, but its people who vote, not counties. Here in Pennsylvania, eight of the 67 counties account for 55% of the registered voters. And in my home state of Arizona, one county, Maricopa, has 75% of the population and the voters. The Electoral College skews the value of votes, so that it takes fewer votes in smaller states to equal one electoral vote. Wyoming has fewer than 600,000 people, but has three votes, the same as the District of Columbia, which has 700,000 people. Likewise, each individual vote in California is worth almost 10% less toward electoral votes than in the next largest state, Texas, and Texas votes are worth only 60% of what Wyoming votes are worth.

Regardless of what statistics you cite, there is one clear statistic in this election, and that is the majority lost. Democratic candidates for the house and senate bested their Republican counterparts by almost 5% of the vote across the board, and they did gain seats, but not comparable to the outcome of the vote. Hillary Clinton will, for at least four years, be the second highest vote getter in American history, next to Barack Obama, beating both Romney's 2012 total and McCain's 2008 total, and Trump's 2016 total.

If you remove the impediments to a representative vote count, essentially the gerrymandered congressional districts and the electoral college, the "will of the people" was expressed by the five percentage point majority of votes that Democrats running for congress got over Republicans, and by the more than two million more votes Clinton received over Trump.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:29 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Wasn't an electoral college landslide but it wasn't close either: 306-232

That's the way the system works.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Sandy

All of yall missed the point

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Hoschild gets it right in Strangers in their Own Land. All it takes for you pretenders minus Dave Roberts is about 20 minutes at Barnes and Noble to find WJ Cash in the index and get the "deep story" analysis right.

And the Jew who writes for National Review Duval or something in the same section of New Current Affairs gets some if right too. And whatever those two miss, Robinson resolves in the Memory Chapter of the Givenness of Things.

I am becoming more and more alone on this board as someone who keeps up with the literature.

However you cut the numbers, if most of the white males can't get it right the country is in trouble. Hillary had baggage but it was a no brainer for discerning Christian. Obviously, unfortunately only 20 percent of evangelicals are discerning Christians and as much affection as I've had episodically over these last 15 years for the likes of Willie Tee and David Flick,Especially Effie, if the basket fits........

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Clinton's loss was unexpected, unnecessary, and devastating to the left-of-center. An honest appraisal would conclude she was a completely inept candidate surrounded by out-of-touch sycophants and that she lost to a highly flawed opponent.

See you in 2018.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Nothing to do with explaining the election, but...

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Just saw the video of Trump fondling Giuliani's fake breasts. Reminded me of the night I went to an AA meeting in drag, out in Carnation (a small town east of Seattle). Comparing the two I think there is a definite resemblance, though I look like Giuli's kid sister agewise.

; scroll down to see the pic of me in white drag on motorcycle...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Nothing to do with explaining the election, but...

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Speaking of busts, hie thee to the Capitol rotunda and allow your jaundiced eyes to rest on the form of the gaunt, asthenic Alex Stephens, virulent racist Vice President of the confederacy. Places of honor sometimes elude the worthy and haunt the unworthy.

Adrian will forever tower atop the plinth manifesting the highest place of honor for those who led the effort to return the convention to her rightful owners. Let the lesser mortals exhibit their angst on the ground below, or, let them spew boilerplate, throwaway comments in places like this.

No reading assignments from the peanut gallery today, Stephen.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Nothing to do with explaining the election, but...

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Jim

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:01 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Sure, Hillary is a victim...but for the foreseeable future, she is irrelevant.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Not in my memory has a more corrupt politician than Hillary run for office. Now, after that glorious benediction to her candidacy, she's put her troops to attempting to recount the election into magnificent victory...after she said we all should get behind the new president. And the $7 million slush fund Stein (maybe Senator Pocahontas, too) is collecting from the non-deplorables to nullify the election...maybe it will wind up in the Clinton Foundation.

Hillary, A—Z

As president she said she would
Be transparent, as if she could,
Consigned for every voting soul
Determination of the goal
Each one should have socially
For being well, have fun, be free;
Gregarious, she kissed and hugged,
Her pants-suit probably well-bugged
In case someone should (gasp) offend
Just flipping lips to no good end,
Know too much of her ambition
Like bringing down opposition
Midst scandals real or just made-up,
No limits to the bitter cup
Offenders could be made to drink,
Provide for them no swim, just sink.
Queer persons – LGBTQ
Receive her honor, thought well-due,
Same-sex in marriage glorified,
Theology of God defied
Unless, of course, a crisis loom
Vociferating gloom and doom
Whence real contrition rarely felt
X-rating fact she should have knelt,
Yin yang, instead, for feminist,
Zig-zagging in the wind to twist.
Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

If you read the history of the Constitutional Convention, it is clear that the electoral college was created as a concession to the slave-holding states who were allowed representation in the Congress and the electoral college based on the Three-Fifths Compromise which for, purposes of representation in the House of Representative and in the electoral college, counted each slave as three-fifths of a person, even though they were taxed as personal property in the states. It is antiquated at best and is part of the legacy of African-American slavery at worst. I have been aware of the problems of the electoral college since high school when Kennedy won when Nixon actually got the larger number of popular votes. The difficulty with its replacement is that all campaigning will take place in the 25 largest metro areas of the country and the rest will remain "fly-over states." If I recall, Bush 43 was also a minority President in 2000.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues