[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Post election words to my mod/lib friends

Post election words to my mod/lib friends

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Post election words to my mod/lib friends

Postby ET » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:51 pm

ET, you and I seldom agree. But I thought what you wrote above was well written and made a lot of sense to me. And, yes, I think now that we probably should have gone with Bernie.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:58 pm

Nothing to apologize for. I agree with a surprisingly large part of what you said.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:30 pm

My thinking (and emotions) are almost exactly as ET described. I avoid F. Graham's stuff, so I didn't have an opinion on him.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:45 pm

ET, I appreciate your analysis of the election. Many of us share some of your concerns. I appreciate your concerns more than you may understand, even when I disagree with some of them. Thanks for sharing what you felt.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Some of us have noted the silliness of evangelicals on political issues and politicians for years.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:23 am

A note of caution on all this 'evangelical' stuff: the term is seldom defined and when it is the definition is sometimes uselessly broad or vague.

I think religious liberals do a poor job of calibrating their beliefs, such as they are, to politics.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 am

Strangely, I've had a couple of church members tell me since the election, "Now everyone will have to wish me 'Merry Christmas.'" That too is a strange correlation between religion and politics. I also had one add, "God will be back in the White House." I think we are living with the results of people not being able to reason through what they hear. No wonder, as William noted, "evangelical" is so seldom defined.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:28 am

So strange. Mrs. Clinton is an active Methodist yet it is a non-Church attending inactive Presbyterian that is going to rescue Christian values?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:17 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Why Hillary lost

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm

I've got a few blogs to do before I weigh in on this definitively. In meantime Thornton and friends can educate themselves for my insights with this background reading.

I think Fox News lies and distortions and lies by a thousand cuts are as equally to blame or more likely the reason than the points of Molly Ball though there is a lot of substance in them as well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/507704/

And of course the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC particularly in North Carolina. I agree with Molly Worthen on the day after in the NY Times on that one, reading the Kaballah so Sandy don't go looking literally at the text.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:17 pm

Sandy

Furman's Jim Guth on election of Trump

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Stephen Fox

And my blog on Hillary Clinton, Molly Marshall and Molly Wor

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Stephen Fox

With all due respect...

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 pm

I am fascinated by the continuing discussion of SCOTUS nominees and Trump's election. First, it is flawed logic to assume that the opportunity for appointments will always be to seats now held by progressives. The continuing assumption is that the next vacancy will be that of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She may be the oldest justice, but Justice Scalia's death was not the one expected. Second, the assumption is that a justice appointed will do what the appointing POTUS expects. W appointed John Roberts who then wrote the opinion that the ACA was legal. There are many such stories in the history of the court. I think the calculus is very faulty.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am

Saw a catchy description of all the post-election hysteria on college campii where, predictably, counseling is available to the disappointed Clinton supporters, delicate snowflakes. Also available are pet therapy dogs and adult coloring books.

Someone, not me, has offered an alternative therapy: "Suck it up, buttercup."

Has a nice rhyme.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

I am a Muslim (to quote Ellin Jimmerson)

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:34 pm

We attend (and Mrs H is a member of) a Baptist church that was boarded up through most of World War II while all or almost all the members were incarcerated in concentration camps because of their ethnicity. "Suck it up buttercup" is an evil thing to say to these people, or to the college students who are either under threat of incarceration or deportation, or whose family members or friends are. The incarceration of ethnically Japanese Americans is being cited by Trump appointees as "precedent". The fact that our internees were not slaughtered the way the Germans' were is of little comfort given Trump's support for torture of prisoners and intentional killing of family members of terrorists. Remember King Christian even though the story is apocryphal. (The harassment and discrimination suffered by non-Japanese--white even--American Baptists who sought to visit and support the internees is bad enough, and something many are already suffering.) If you brush off the behavior and tell those victimized to "suck it up", shame on you! (I was also married during the Iran hostage crisis to a woman who was harassed and threatened at bus stops because "Americans" thought she looked like an Iranian; she was a Hindu from Fiji.)

For Jesus and humanity, I will be a Muslim.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: I am a Muslim (to quote Ellin Jimmerson)

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues