[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - DNC Plays the Patriotism Card

DNC Plays the Patriotism Card

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: DNC Plays the Patriotism Card

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Tim writes "My wife read an article this week in which it indicated that Trump asked more than once in his intelligence briefing why we shouldn't use nuclear weapons against our enemies. Is this really the guy you want to have the "go codes" for nukes?"

Ed: And who is writing about what anyone says in a "Intelligence briefing"???????
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:30 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:26 am

On 45 or so years of active, though sporadic, research on family genealogy, I was always intrigued by the family lore of a Cherokee in my line. The story was passed along orally. Evidence consisted of one 19th Century photo of a relative that looked Indian. Evidence consisted of a suggested relative, no photo or documentation, that was thought to be the link.

Along comes DNA tests to offer concrete proof. I do the DNA. Not the tiniest percentage is DNA common to any Native American tribe shows up.

Most every family has these Native American ancestor legends in their family. Now you can check.

English, Irish, Scottish, Northern European...that's my DNA. Oh, and 4% Neanderthal.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:15 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Ed: Keith you need to stick to the pure sciences. It is becoming obvious that the variables in the social sciences, specifically politics are over your Head.

Perhaps your pastor could explain the difference, in an application for a Marriage License and and the License itself, for you. The officiant signs the License not the application.

I can well believe that Warren believed the family legend, I do question how long she has known that it is not true. If you search (Elizabeth Warren's heritage) you will get a lot of interesting reading. Trump did not originate the questions about it. I believe you will find that Warren her self has recently acknowledged the falsity of the legend. Reportedly she did get a "minority slot" for admission to Law School thus leaving some one a spot short of admission.

And what make you think that is all the dirt? You don't play your whole hand at the start of the game, there are still 80 plus days until the election..

And I think you owe flick an apology what he provided for us was insight to how many of the native Americans in his frame of reference, Family, communities where he has lived in Oklahoma and the Indian churches he has pastored and Bacone College where he served as a trustee view Warrens original claim.

I find your slams against "big bossiness", and you activity in the stock market as you described it recently, to be a bit inconstant.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:27 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:45 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:52 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:32 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:54 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 am

What I, who consider myself 1/256ᵗʰ Adopted Collateral Absentee Shawnee, want to know so I can avoid Elizabeth's quandary when I next seek office, is whether the Shawnee traditionally (say, in the late 1700s in the Ohio Valley) wore hairdos similar to what is generically called a "Mohawk".
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:14 pm

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/fact-c ... job/25004/

Native American Ancestry is perhaps the most difficult part of any individual's racial heritage to trace, because the cultural differences, and the status to which most Native Americans were relegated throughout most of their history, prevented any kind of accuracy in record-keeping related to births, marriages, and deaths. The biggest barriers seem to be the denial of education as a basic right, which affected a significant number of Native Americans for generations, and their removal from their historic lands, and confinement to reservations, where the corruption of government officials placed in charge, and mistreatment, were commonplace. Until recently, identifying as a member of a Native American tribe was detrimental enough that many of those who did get an education left both the reservation, and their heritage, behind. Even in the 1970's, when I was in school, there wasn't a high level of trust in the government programs and benefits that were just beginning to be developed. About a fourth of the students in the school I attended from 2nd grade through high school were Apache, and I know a lot of kids who had to struggle with taking scholarship money given because of their heritage, and wondering whether their continued self-identification as Apache in order to get the scholarships would just lead to further discrimination, both at the university and in trying to get a job later on.

One of my Great Aunts did a family history on my Dad's side of the family, and found some indications that there might have been some Susquehanna and Shawnee ancestry at various points. Her grandmother was a Harrison, and from that family history, in which there are two US Presidents, was a reference to the fact that she might have been at least half of one tribe or another. There's no other verification of that, but I've heard all my life that there was Native American ancestry on my Dad's side of the family. That's apparently how Elizabeth Warren got the information that she has a bit of Cherokee ancestry in her family, which is also how most Americans who make that claim would say they know. It's been proven that the claim she used her heritage to get advantages at Harvard are false.

None of that changes the despicable, demeaning, racist namecalling that Donald Trump has done, and I would think that any Cherokee, or Native American, would find that highly offensive and inexcusable, regardless of whether she has any Cherokee heritage or not.

On a side note, David, I took a group of students from my school in Houston several years ago to a mission project in Stilwell (not Stillwater) Oklahoma. We camped out in the Maryetta School, which belonged to the Cherokee tribe, and the tribal council in the area funded the purchase of building materials for their qualified residents, while our kids worked on crews who helped with roofing and weatherization. I found the people to be very hospitable, friendly, grateful for the help to the needy in their community, and quite connected to their Cherokee heritage. We had the experience of being treated to a Sunday afternoon hog fry after church, with all of the accompanying side dishes.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues