[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Russelll Moore on Trump

Russelll Moore on Trump

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Russelll Moore on Trump

Postby Chris » Fri May 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Russell Moore on Trump...not what you expected.
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/6/11606706/ru ... cals-trump
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Russelll Moore on Trump

Postby KeithE » Fri May 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 07, 2016 4:57 am

You guys haven't been paying attention. Moore was a very early, very harsh critic of the trump candidacy and was roundly criticized by some SBCers for that.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat May 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Someone inform Moore that some ex-SBC and lightly SBC libs think he has matured. I'm sure it will make his day.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Tue May 10, 2016 3:42 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 am

Interesting reading that I had forgotten about.

I stand by my 'Russell Moore (aka rdenton) has matured'.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 am

Sorry David, I was being a bit flippant about Russ Moore. Maybe it is a difference of culture or denominational structure. But I post in several forums. This is the only Baptist forum I still post in. I post in a couple of Methodist forums and one large forum across denominations for persons who have attended seminary. This forum seems discuss individual leaders and their opinions by name a great deal more than other forums I read. Maybe that is a Baptist thing?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue May 10, 2016 10:25 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Comments from any and all exSBCers are welcome.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 pm

I seriously doubt that half a million Southern Baptists know who Moore is or care. I doubt his fame goes much beyond that. He loves his own press clippings almost as much as did Richard Land.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 10, 2016 6:21 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:02 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 am

Sandy, I'd say that he is one of those kind of writers that is read in certain circles. So yes his writing might effect how conservative evangelicals view Baptists. But many many people aren't conservative evangelicals. I can't see the average person on the street knowing much about the differences between ABC, SBC and CBF. When I was a Baptist in Des Moines I was forever trying to explain that my congregation wasn't affiliated with those folks in Nashville boycotting Disney or whatever.

I get the same thing up in this part of the world where people who aren't Lutherans have no idea how the ELCA and the Missouri Synod differ. But boy do they differ!
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 pm

I think his writing is more than just a means by which other evangelicals view Baptists. Southern Baptists are, by far, the largest and most influential group of Evangelicals, and there is a lot of common ground, theologically and politically, between the denominational groups and the vast majority of non-denominational churches. Moore is probably one of the top five or six individuals among Evangelical leaders, whose perspective is sought, and who serves as a spokesman for an Evangelical perspective. I'm guessing, from the many times he's been invited, that he is an individual member and a spokesperson for the National Association of Evangelicals. With Evangelicals being arguably the largest voting bloc in the Republican Party, and probably close to 70% Republican, Moore would be on the radar screen of any Presidential candidate. So yes, he is a niche writer, but his "niche" is much broader and larger than just Southern Baptists who are politically active Evangelicals.

While a lot of you guys have been gone from the SBC, in terms of its relationship with Evangelicals, it has become very ecumenical. The denomination's agencies and institutions, particularly Lifeway, have opened up to people of a lot of different backgrounds. While there's no "credential" exchange of ministers, there's been an increase in the number of pastors in the SBC who came from other denominational backgrounds, and the seminaries are appealing to a very large group of non-SBC students. And I think Moore has probably been far more successful in achieving a gathering of a much broader base of support for the ERLC, both inside and outside the SBC, than Land ever did.
Sandy

Russ Moore and Richard Nixon

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Or cynically one could make the point Moore is like Richard Nixon and his political maturation has all the integrity of Nixon's Deal with Strom Thurmond not to enforce school integration orders of Brown v Board.

Moore is big in his own tiny world. He made a deal with the Birch Society to get where he is'

He came to Bama in 97 or so to denounce Vicki Covington, my novelist friend who had a grand column about my cousin Max Helton at Bobby Allison's funeral.

Russ Moore has a lot of explaining to do to me and Bonhoeffer and Harold Bloom about his so called religious political "evolution". But I'm open to any inflection or insight Bill Hull's new book may have.

The world is changing like it did on WA Criswell and Moore and his buddy Mohler are exploring the Numbers.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues