[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 3rd Party Candidates

3rd Party Candidates

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

3rd Party Candidates

Postby KeithE » Wed May 04, 2016 8:38 am

Just spent some time perusing the Scroll down to see list and links.

The ones I liked best were Mark Dutter, Lynn Khan, David Sponheim and Jill Stein.

As some of you may remember I supported Rocky Anderson for President in 2012. As the Alabama lead I failed to get the 5000 signatures needed to get him on the AL ballot which had to be done by Sept 2011 (I got about 100 before I gave up as I recall) . I doubt that many of these candidates are on the majority of states ballots for the primaries and as such will not be on the General Election ballot (I think). One that will be on most (maybe all) is Jill Stein. She was on the ballot in 85% of the country in 2012.

Here is . Read (scroll down for her quotes). I support her at the moment (if Sanders does not succeed).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: 3rd Party Candidates

Postby Sandy » Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 am

The traditional "third" independent parties are too small, and their candidates too unknown to get much in the way of traction. If you look at the third party movements that have happened in modern history, like George Wallace, Ross Perot, and to a lesser extent, Ralph Nader and Ron Paul, they've formed around specific issues, or branched out of one of the main parties. None of them ever really stood a chance at electing a candidate, but at least one, maybe two, succeeded in changing the course of the election. Wallace took enough electoral votes out of Humphrey's column to ensure Nixon's election. Perot's presence didn't affect the electoral outcome of either election, though he did draw off some of the popular vote from both major party candidates.

It's a little late now for a third party movement to form, though there might be a lower turnout given the negative numbers for each of these candidates. Hillary has a solid poll lead over Trump, running from as little as 12 to as much as 20 points in most of the major polls currently out. And while this hasn't been a traditional campaign, the only polling data that's been off during the primaries was on the Democratic side in Michigan. I would guess that a lot of voters will exercise their right not to vote, and maybe more will vote write-in or third party than normal. I don't really see someone like Ted Cruz attempting a third party run, though the way he characterizes himself, and what he's said about conservatives not really being represented in the GOP any more, I suppose its possible.

In spite of all the rhetoric about Hillary's emails, and Benghazi, neither of which has actually produced enough legitimate, accurate evidence to take any kind of action except puttering around so that the radio deejay whackos have some conversation to fill their time slots, Donald Trump has an established reputation. He's an openly admitted adulterer and philanderer, a crook in business who has filed bankruptcy and cost the taxpayers billions of dollars, his tax returns, years worth of them, are under IRS investigation, and there are plenty of proven attempts to cheat the government for which his respective businesses have been declared guilty and paid fines. If the Republicans just lay down, and decide to "just support the party's nominee," they will own all of that dishonesty and immorality.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri May 06, 2016 2:51 pm

There is a first for everything. And a new party for the US is not even a “first”. And the Green Party, Constitutional Party and Libertarian Party area all registered in most states.

Use your imagination. Never before have we had 2 candidates with unfavorability ratings above 50%.

And Sanders is nor dead yet.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 06, 2016 5:18 pm

I'd love for their to a viable third party. Right I don't see that materializing in time for this General Election. Quite a few states are past their date to get on the ballot already. But maybe it is time for persons within the GOP, moderate conservatives etc. to consider an option that doesn't include nut jobs like Trump for the next election cycle.

I also think the left wing of the Dem party needs to think of a new leader to eventually take over from Bernie. He will be 78 by the time the next election rolls around.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 07, 2016 8:53 pm

From their rhetoric in the media, it seems that what the Republicans are looking for in a third party candidate is someone who will help them protect their down-ballot congressmen and senators. The Democrats were already looking like they were going to get the senate back, and Trump's becoming the presumptive nominee has put a few more senators, like John McCain, behind their opponents. Ryan's reluctance to endorse Trump seems to stem from his own realization that Trump at the top of the ballot might endanger their house majority as well.

I expect the Libertarian party to do much better this time around than it ever has. Perhaps the Constitution Party will get some traction as well.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 am

A third party isn't worth squat. Any rage-against-the-machine presidential third candidate can get a chunk of the popular vote but little chance of any electoral college vote. In ME and NE there is proportional electoral college system but since they have only 7 total EC votes it wouldn't make any difference. Maybe a 3rd party candidate could win a smaller state. I'm not seeing it happen in any sizable state.

Best case is any 3rd candidate who denies Hil an EC majority and the HR gets to pick the prez. Let Sanders and Cruz (or whomever) both run and maybe we get a royal mess that goes to congress to settle. That would make life interesting.

I enjoy watching the UK parliamentary system at work: Tories, labour, SNP, Green, liberal democrat, Sinn Fein, Plaid Cymru and several others. These and many others win local elections. But...we don't have that system.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 08, 2016 7:55 am

If the media would call out Trump on his and force to conclusion the 3 Hillary mini-scandals (1- emails/handling of classified material, 2- Hillary Victory Fund campaign financing law skirting/hypocrisy, 3- refusal to release Wall Street speeches), and give something close to equal time to the 3rd parties, then 3rd parties would be in play this year. That is not happening, so William is regrettably right.

But it should not stop voters from informing themselves about 3rd party ideas/platforms and proclaiming ones we like to our acquaintances. Don’t be so jaded and take democracy into our own hands! The media may catch on.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

William, there are times I wish we had a parliamentary system. I don't think the two party system we are stuck with was in the minds of the founders. I believe it forces us into a black and white situations when some nuance in the middle is probably closer to the truth. But we can't get it because we only have two choices.

In previous elections while I didn't care for the GOP nominee I've always felt like we'd muddle through either way. Now I'm concerned that Trump is so radical that we won't muddle through. I could see him doing something so stupid that he gets impeached and convicted. I could see him royally insulting our allies. I could see him screwing up the economy with some half-as**ed plan.

Or (best case scenario) I can hope for absolute gridlock for four years where neither party gets along with each other or Trump and nothing much happens.

If only the GOP had picked Jeb, Romney, or maybe even Rubio I'd be far less concerned about the future with a GOP Prez.

(Edit - Oh, and on the moral level. Does anyone believe that The Donald, now on his third wife, wouldn't have an affair while in the White House if he started to eye wife #4?)
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun May 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 pm

The HR would not be bound to choose from among the candidates. They could vote in, say, Stephen Fox or someone.

The two party system, good or bad? That's a standard HS civics essay question...if they still teach the subject and if they still ask essay questions.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun May 08, 2016 7:36 pm

The two party system is evil, I think, and so is the system, whatever you call it, that makes the electoral cycle take up more than half the presidential term, and so is the system that gives a few states with wildly different systems of decision-making much more power than others when it comes to the decisions made by other states. It's absurd that New Hampshire and Iowa should have so much influence compared with California and Texas. If we're going to keep the two-party system, then I think all the states should choose their delegates to the party conventions, whether by caucus or primary, on the same day. And no, I don't think the current crop of high-schoolers (nor most of their teachers) ever heard of civics.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues