[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trump will be the GOP nominee - Now what?

Trump will be the GOP nominee - Now what?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: I'm gonna say

Postby KeithE » Fri May 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Thornton's "investigative journalism"

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Speaking of which here is a great piece I shared widely today with Furman revenants and Gaffney High beta club members. Hope William appreciates it as well

http://www.wsj.com/articles/declaring-w ... 1459542563

Wrong piece but that one significant too. Will have the basketball stories up soon, the link.

As for BBQ Rome Ga I never found it anywhere decent there. Which means William will have to travel another 40 minutes to Bill Glenns Mtn Grill on 68 just west of Leesburg Alabama on a Thursday through Friday for Ribs and or catfish.

Here is the great journalism piece with Marshall Frady's name dropped for good measure

http://bittersoutherner.com/patconroy#.Vyzt13kQWM_
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Close to spot on perspective

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Back to subject at hand

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... or/481602/

Whatever I may say in the future. I think I voted for McGovern in 72, the fall of my sophomore year at Furman which means I woulda had to drive from Furman to Gaffney on a Tuesday. I do remember going to the Armory on East Frederick Street where our church member Roy Turner was in charge--had an interesting relationship with the extended family, his brother in particular--but not sure I made it for George but I think I did.

My Dad preached to McGovern in 83 outside Pigeon Forge Tennessee

Stephen Fox

Bill Hull and Donald Trump

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 06, 2016 4:46 pm

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html

I may not be able to perfect my sentiments for Tim Bonney but I think Bill Hull had a better grip on Pressler's politics and this Trump moment than Bonney does. I remember in 04 I was at Samford for some function and had brief exchange with Hull about Sullivan, author of the above piece and something Andrew had said in the Dec 03 NEW Republic about George Bush 43 hypocrisy re Muslim fundamentalism while "winking at milder versions in his own constituency." That was a clear reference by Sullivan to Pressler and his kind of fundy Baptist politics.

Hull understood Sullivans point completely though the point can be made that Hull's recent book may unwittingly distract from the greater point of the takeover which was I continue to be convinced Pressler's Birch politics and his resentment of Foy Valentine, Carlyle Marney, James Dunn and Jimmy Allen's enchantment with the ideals of LBJ's great society. Thus my intention to engage Randall Woods and his recent book on LBJ on the matter.

But the Sullivan piece above has another focus and I hope many of you will give it the attention it deserves.

Sullivan is convinced Trump is the rubicon from which we may not recover for many decades.

Stephen Fox

Re: Trump will be the GOP nominee - Now what?

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Ed are you really trying to make a case for Donald Trump? Good Lord. How embarrassing. :lol:
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue May 10, 2016 1:46 pm

I ordered my t-shirt last Saturday:

For those not cultured enough to have seen the original Ghostbusters, here's the context:

:lol:
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Right now it looks to me like what is on the verge of destruction is the GOP. I sympathize with a number of my friends who wish they had a GOP candidate they could vote for.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues