[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Southern Baptist Governors

Southern Baptist Governors

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Southern Baptist Governors

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:45 am

The main Esperanto course in North America, , is scheduled to be held at William Peace University in Raleigh (I think), NC. If it were moved out of state at this late date, it would harm primarily the students and the relationship between NASK and WPU. It would have virtually no impact on the GOP or the state government as a whole, in my opinion. And I don't think anyone at WPU is likely to turn in a student for having doubtful genes-to-restroom correspondence. On the other hand, if I were a trans person wanting to learn Esperanto, I would think twice before heading to North Carolina this year.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:04 pm

I agree with Keith. I take Gov. Deal's comments as his position. He could easily have mentioned economic factors in his veto, but did not. Most every post I see accuses him of selling out to big business, however.

I have also read speculation that the legislature passed the law knowing it would be vetoed, because they could then brag about their efforts when they run for re-election. Some even suggested it was done with full agreement from the gov. I would not want to live with such a cynical bias all the time.

As to the Gov.'s membership in a CBF church, I'm a bit surprised that such a conservative Republican would be a member there instead of in one of the more conservative churches available.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Companies have every right to say that a state has created a negative business environment for their company so they want to take their business elsewhere.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:30 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Keith, it's pretty simple. I'm for companies choosing to protect the rights of their employees. I'm against companies trampling on the rights of their employees.

You seem to be taking the idea that all stands are equal, that if a company shouldn't take a stand for something discriminatory they also shouldn't take a stand for something that protects their employees, their customers or their share holders. That doesn't make much sense to me.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:16 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 pm

My view is that political issues should be settled with considerations about what is best for the country (or state) and should ignore power plays by businesses or the church (or people who think they speak for the church).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:41 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 am

Keith, I get what you are saying. I just disagree with you.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 am

(Hit submit too quick)

To continue the above thought, I see nothing wrong with a company changing its business model, its location, or who it is serving it the company believes that this is going to be detrimental to its employees. Can you imagine the foolishness of Coca Cola or Microsoft having to enforce bathroom laws to be in compliance with these silly laws? Why should they do that? Why should the want to? Honestly they set themselves up for legal action by their own employees if they do. It's bad business.

As to churches, maybe it's a difference between your Baptist view and my Methodist view of the role of the Church. The UMC quite regularly passes resolutions at our General Conference declaring the position of our denomination on a host of issues including political issues. The UMC has regularly voted for resolutions that oppose discrimination based on sexual orientation even while it has maintain a stance against same sex marriage. It has been a long standing Methodist distinctive to be involved in the political system when the church needs to make a statement about issues that impact the poor, the needy and the marginalized. It is consistent with the denomination's history.

My take as a former Baptist is that historically Baptists took a more hands off approach to politics as part of a radical stand on separation of church and state. I can see why Baptists came to that view. But I don't believe church and state separation means that that churches should be prevented from taking moral stands that are consistent with their beliefs. Separation of church and state shouldn't be viewed as a gag rule on churches commenting on what goes on in the public sphere.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:32 pm

No one has argued here that churches should be gagged. Get out there and picket if you want.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:27 pm

...so who's gagging churches?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

I didn't get that from him. In the long haul my view is that churches sacrifice Jesus for politics if they are too obviously partisan.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:39 pm

See my errant post on Family Values about Gov Bentley
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Bentley and his former Pastor Rick Lance

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:39 pm

I haven't read all of the posts but I think Bentley in the end is a distraction, his marital infidelities. I did however call in the fast round of a right wing radio talk show this morn loosely affiliated with Church of the Highland and the SBC IMB to say Tainted Love should be the ringtone for the Governor; was a lightning round. Don't know what Rick and Bubba are doing with it but they were hamfisted in their tribute to Merle Haggard Yesterday.

Bama's focus should be on the Methodist Mike Hubbard of FUMC Auburn and the easily googled New Racism article in the New Republic. Bentley's private sins are small potatoes as compared to the GOP rule in the State connected to the designs of Alec and deporting two of the last three valedictorians of Collinsville High School; and "bleaching" to weaken the voting power of Hispanics.

I think Deal may have good inclindations but I can't speak with authority on that. Would be a good piece for Johnny Pierce to do. And I was impressed with Ga Governor Roy Barnes on Ga NPR couple months ago and his reference to Lee Atwater and the confederate flag. But I think Barnes was North Georgia Methodist.

I do remember one of my Dad's best stories about the 50s when the good Baptists ran the state of NC. SEBTS President Syd Staley had GBC Christian Index Louie D Newton up to speak to Gov's Prayer Breakfast. Staley introduced Newton who gets up and immediately starts kissin up to the Gov. Dad said the story was STaley sittin on the platform starts loud whispering behind him: " Louie, Let the Governor Go, these People came to Hear you Preach, Preach to these People Louie; Let the Governor Go."

My Dad loved that story and loved to tell or remind Randall Lolley and and Stewart Newman.

Baptist separation of church and State at its best!!! LOLOL

More about Bentley and Rick Lance later with story about my first meeting with Bentley, in Ft Payne Bama
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues