[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Are there enough angry white folks to elect Cruz?

Are there enough angry white folks to elect Cruz?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Are there enough angry white folks to elect Cruz?

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:21 pm

...and other questions about the election this fall:

I would like Cruz better if he smiled occasionally and dropped the end-of-the-world, country gone to Gehenna rhetoric. That act is old.

I like Trump better (the economic stuff is in his wheelhouse) but not enough to vote for him...under any circumstance.

All the polls show Hil is low on the trust scale, well deserved in my view, but will she implode? Trump get points for her hypocrisy on women.

Rubio looks young but otherwise pretty good.

Bush has lost his mojo and it looks too late to recover it.

I like Sanders' perpetual indignation...don't think it translates into sufficient votes.

Fiorina for VP.

If not her, Kasich.

If not them, the Indian with a Sihk background.

Why is Santorum still running?

Hil, if prez, will be better than Obama but then the bar is pretty low there.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Are there enough angry white folks to elect Cruz?

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:38 am

I'm pretty sure that I don't share your overall political opinion. However, in this list, I see several things that resonate with me...

Cruz, bingo.

Trump, well, you and 50% of Republicans say they wouldn't vote for him under any circumstances. Hillary may have a low trust factor, but if he winds up as the nominee, she winds up in the White House.

Rubio has almost, on a few occasions, departed from the standard "Obama bad bad bad" theme, and if he can shake that, he'll become the frontrunner. Polls continue to show him the most viable and dangerous opponent for Hillary.

Not sure that VP candidates matter all that much any more. Kasich might, since they'll need Ohio.

I rank Obama's presidency, in terms of effectiveness, as better than Reagan. Following the most inept, incompetent presidency in history wasn't an easy task, and cleaning up the economic mess, the Al Qaida mess and taking care of Bin Laden, and having to continue to face the ISIS mess, which is a direct result of Bush's ineptitude and failed Iraq adventure is a drain. Maybe, without the other pressing issues, his economic policy would have put some permanent debt reduction in place, though that seems to be a can that everyone wants to kick down the road. If HIllary wins, and does better than that, she will go down in history as one of the best of the modern era.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 am

Sandy in fantasy land again but I like your small dose of reality: "Hillary may have a low trust factor."

Looking forward to a year of raw, entertaining politics.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:54 am

Hillary is often her own worst enemy. Her going after Sanders for his supporting universal healthcare just makes her look bad given that she proposed such a plan when Bill was in the White House. I think ultimately Hilary is more likely to get the nomination. But her over emphasis on pragmatism rather than the ideas of the party make it look like she isn't actually planning on getting much done if she is elected. In a campaign at least, people like their candidate to push for the values of their party rather than a 'I'll get done what I can get done" attitude even if it is the truth.

Mrs. Clinton is starting to remind me of her run in 2008 when she was supposed to take Iowa by storm and what she got from Iowans was a resounding, "Meh."
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 am

William, I didn't realize Santorum was still running. LOL

I don't get why Fiorina for VP? She hasn't accomplished anything other than taking HP to bankruptcy and costing thousands of people jobs. How does that qualify her for Prez or Veep either one?

The most palatable GOP candidate for me right now is probably Jeb and he seems to be in need of a serious dose of Geritol.

It occurred to me that Cruz sounds like a bad imitation of an SBC preacher in his commercials, and not a good one at that. I still can't get past his carpet bombing rhetoric. You know, "kill them all, kill them all, women and children too" doesn't appeal to me as a campaign slogan. ;-) And if he doesn't mean that, he doesn't know what carpet bombing is.

I'd like proof that Cruz wasn't born in Kenya. I've heard rumors..... :lol:
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:42 am

I'm still betting Hillary is going to be our next President. But I've lost some respect for her campaign in recent weeks. Attacking Sanders for positions she previously advocated for I don't think is playing well in Iowa. Also when she is in trouble she comes across as abrasive. Sanders is doing better, in part, because he is trying hard not to go negative. He may well win the Iowa Caucus.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:37 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Sandy

With Pressler and Koch Bros help, maybe

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:48 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... revolution

and see my blog which goes to the heart of the SBC at www.foxofbama.blogspot.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 am

Now that the cancer is behind him, how about a Draft Jimmy movement?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

Ed Pettibone

Except for Criswell's successor

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

The Southern Baptist Convention seems to be following Paul Pressler and Russ Moore's lead and flocking to Cruz.

Google the Security Summit at FBC Gardendale Alabama, home church of Adrian Rogers successor Steve Gaines, to see where the heartbeat of the SBC is these days.

Stephen Fox

Jeb Bush to repent in SC?

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Stephen Fox

No Distinctive Christian character of the SBC Chosen

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Stephen Fox

David Barton the Oz behind Cruz

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -cruz.html

He sure fits, Barton, well at FBC Gardendale who sent Steve Gaines to succeed Adrian Rogers at Bellevue

Feb 6 the guts of the Baptist Christian Right will gather at FBC Gardendale for the Situational Security Summitt with the NRA and Homeland Security.

Barton is loved there, and I imagine Trey Gowdy and FBC Spartanburg is on the same pate.

Stephen Fox

David Barton the Oz behind Cruz

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -cruz.html

He sure fits, Barton, well at FBC Gardendale who sent Steve Gaines to succeed Adrian Rogers at Bellevue

Feb 6 the guts of the Baptist Christian Right will gather at FBC Gardendale for the Situational Security Summitt with the NRA and Homeland Security.

Barton is loved there, and I imagine Trey Gowdy and FBC Spartanburg is on the same pate.

Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues