[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Signs of Fascism on the Rise in America

Signs of Fascism on the Rise in America

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Signs of Fascism on the Rise in America

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Hit piece on GOP. It would have been worth reading if the author gave a least a small mention to the most fascist environments found in the US today: liberal college campuses.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Since the GOP seems to be the place where most modern fascists have taken refuge, and receive support, any research or analysis of what appears to be fascism is going to appear to be a "hit piece." That's sort of the same thing as all of the whine that leaks out about how unfair and mean the hand=picked, pre-selected, handsomely paid moderators of their debates are to them, and how they won't ask questions that let them pull out their campaign monologue.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 pm

My lib friends miss all the stories about conservative speakers being hounded off lib campii? About creating "safe spaces"? A

A simple "yeah, there is some of that but it's wrong" would be good...then you guys can have your feel good lib love fest here.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Hey, I'm just saying if you want to call us names at least call us ones that makes sense.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Fox News and Sexual Assault

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:46 pm

The hour long investigation over the weekend caught my eye. Especially the Dear Colleague letter and the NY Senator coming to the defense of the wicked coed at Columbia University.

For me this conversation should be framed in Bonhoeffer's concerns about the "politics of Stupidity". I'm convinced were Bonhoeffer with us today he would be gravely concerned about Ted Cruz and the likely influence Ed Young and Jim Deloach had on him. That brings it to Thornton's neighborhood as he is the only one among us Jerry Vines reads routinely, so he could make a difference on his blog.

Then again Al Mohler interviewed Charles Marsh who brought DBon's thoughts on stupidity to light. I hope they can talk again.

Read Wuthnow, This Dispatch has a point.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:08 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:53 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 am

No doubt, there's a philosophical atmosphere on college and university campuses, and specifically those noted and labelled as "liberal," where there's little in the way of support or sympathy for what can be labelled as "conservative" principles or beliefs, though both of those terms tend to be nebulous in reality. Biased? Yes, though who isn't. Fascist? No. Not even close.

We've had a budget standoff here in Pennsylvania for about six months that illustrates this point perfectly. The governor is a Democrat, elected in a relative landslide. The legislature currently has a Republican majority, with about 18-20 tea partiers from scattered districts. The Democrats and moderate Republicans have pushed and shoved, and eventually came to a tax and budget bill that both sides could live with. But they can't get it passed, because this extremist and very small minority won't negotiate and won't budge. There's plenty of rhetoric from those who understand how a Republic works about "the other side," but they came to a point where they had a working plan. The extremists, who do not in any way represent the will of the people, won't negotiate and are willing to hold school kids, hospitals and human services hostage to make sure they get their way. That's fascism, by definition. It's happening in the federal government, too, where extremist right wingers are largely responsible for gridlock.

A lot of people think that Fascism couldn't take root here, and that after World War II, we're immune to it, but if you listen to the chatter about seceding, and the availability of weaponry, the talk about a "tyrannical" government, or how idiotic voters are for electing, and re-electing the current presidential administration, and the willingness to abandon truth in order to convince people that they are right, are all indications that it can indeed take root here, and is making headway. Open your eyes. It's here.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

Yeah, it's here is a form on public college campuses that is beyond rhetoric.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:39 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:42 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:16 am

Sandy's. If you are deep enough into this to classify me as exhibiting some degree of fascism, surely you are familiar with my point.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:43 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:15 am

William, can you be a little more specific about where you get your idea of conservatives being chased off of college campuses? A reference to a personal experience or any kind of backing would be nice.

The last time I remember anyone being chased off of a campus for their views were professors at SBC schools being chased off for being perceived as not being conservative enough. Are you maybe having a flashback? :D
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Hey, no joke, I ran across an unabridged copy of Das Capital (it's in English) and can get it for one of you for $1. Might be some stuff in there you guys can use.

I'll keep a lookout for fascists in the mean time.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues