[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Future of College Football

Future of College Football

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Future of College Football

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:31 am

I'm a fan and hoping like Hades Clemson beats Bama and the Sabanites early next year.

BUT this has long been brewing and there is no more egregious example than Auburn and Mike Hubbard where as House speaker in Bama Hubbard makes his millions of black kids having privatized the Auburn Network while New Republic reports Hubbard promotes the politics of Bleaching

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ks/416862/

Hubbard's son Clayte is a sophomore at Furman on a golf scholarship
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Future of College Football

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

New racism, New Republic, Bleaching

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 am

Keith, You're a good fellow but disappointed that a person in a CBF congregation, one of the leading ones in Alabama with influence on thes board and elsewhere is not familiar with Hubbard.

Don't be too proud to google and read the article, two years old now, about Hubbard and the GOP strategy to weaken the political power of minorities in the state.

Most eggregrious for Hubbard as he makes his money off mostly black young men while weakening the voice of their leadership in Alabama and other communities.

A blackmark for Auburn and the SEC

Stephen Fox

Re: New racism, New Republic, Bleaching

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:31 am

Stephen, interesting article, and as usual, has nothing to do with your chatter. Two relevant issues, neither one connected.

I'll agree, I'd like to see Clemson knock off the Tide, but I'd also like to see Florida do it first, and keep 'Bama out of the top four. Clemson has a date with North Carolina, and that's not going to be an easy walk in the park, but they've got to win it to get in, too.

Here's an interesting wrinkle for your thread. Rumor is going around that the University of Texas is willing to pay what it takes to get Saban to Austin. We shall see how that turns out.

I agree, Keith. There might be some modifications, but football goes on. 100% certain.
I'm about 50% certain that Clemson will beat Alabama if they play, but I'm 65% certain that neither team will be in the championship game. Mind may change after next week and the championship games.
Sandy

Sandy's banter

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Rahter Sandy's distraction.

I may take up the SEC coaching chess match with a testimony of an Episcopalian priest about the virtues of Mark Richt. who btw, is member of the fundamentalist Prince Ave BC in Athens, but cannot at the moment let Sandy get away with begging the question.

The New Racism article is about how Mike Hubbard, who has made his small fortune off of Auburn football, whose team is 90 percent black, while promoting a scheme that has come to be known as bleaching, toweaken the politicalpower ofblacks and Hispanics in the state of Alabama.

I think that is evil of the highest order and Rosa Parks and Judge Frank Johnson and MLKing would name it as such were they alive today.And I think it just a matter of time before the BlackLives Matter movement takes it up. And if they do it will be one of their most sensible crusades todate.

Football is ingrained, I agree, I like to get caught up in it myself. Still the article along with Taylor Branch's piece last year in the The Atlantic are markers Christians cannot overlook and at theLevel Oneplateau of SEC and the like is having more of a smell every year even though on occasion there are pricnes to be foundlike George Mason and MarkRicht. Gus Malzahn is fundy Baptist with lessvirtue than Richt vy his addociation with Ronnie Floyd. Richt may be an innocent in the whole matter, like the black dude in the BlindSide.

There are anecdotes all around, but the Mike Hubbard cabal has big smell and something I hope the Covenant movement with avenues through Auburns Wayne Flynt and Mark Wilson will pursue publicly very soon even they are a couple years late.

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Yeah, I have sometimes seen Marc Richt at Prince Avenue Baptist, a thriving Southern Baptist church near me and about as far from fundamentalist as Stephen Fox is from a Pulitzer Prize.

Richt is a solid, humble, serious Christian. College football at this level is a tough business but it is a business. The bidness minds think $86m in revenues and about a $50m annual profit can be improved upon. We will see.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Pulitzers

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:21 pm

I've been closer to Pulitzer than you might imagime. For One I have Marilynne Robinson's autograph, and had brief conversation with her. I interviewed Ron Rash who is a stellar writer celebrated at highest levels on this content and in Europe. I've had conversations on air with Taylor Branch and Isabel Wilkerson, both Pulitzers, and had conversation with Rhodes Scholar nominee Greg McElroy.

I did not diss Richt. In fact I mentioned a passionate defense of him by an Epixcopalian priest, and had chat with the kid fromCedartown who broke his leg in the Tennessee game. Good kid, at the Stake n Shake in Rome Spring year ago before he became famous.

But the fact remains CBF and Covenant should take a public and unflinching look at Mike Hubbard and bring it to the attention of Gus Malzahn and Ronnie Floyd.

It has always been my understating Jon Appleton is the Baptist standard in Athens. His great grandfather's portrait is in the Hospitality room in the foyer of Collinsville Baptist Church. I haven't seen it since May 28, 2006

Sandy and Thornton, keep an eye out for a blog link to greatHS game, Gaffney vs Spartanburg in October of 1969

Stephen Fox

Re: Pulitzers

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:20 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Episcopal priest letter to Mark Richt

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:33 am

Thornton, would love to hear your story about bball game with Staubach. I got in a pickup game early nineties with Kevin Garnett.

We beat the whole neighborhood.

Here is the open letter to Richt. FYI especially Thornton, from a Furman friend on first name basis with Bishop TuTu.

https://therareword.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ark-richt/

Stephen Fox

Re: Pulitzers

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:32 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:47 am

The money these days in college athletics is obscene. Mike London resigned at UVA this week. His contract buyout amounted to a measly $4.1-million.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:40 pm

I saw that article previously, Keith. But the one Stephen linked here, while it covers the topic of racism in college football, doesn't really cover Hubbard's little problem.
Sandy

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby KeithE » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:25 am

Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues