[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pressler's Freedom Caucus is Winning

Pressler's Freedom Caucus is Winning

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Pressler's Freedom Caucus is Winning

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Hope you do the necessary reading to understand the weight of my most recent musings

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2015/10/f ... eover.html
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Pressler's Freedom Caucus is Winning

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Fox, if I understand your post correctly then you think that Huckabee has some chance of being the nominee? I seriously doubt that.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 am

Not that stephen bothers to make a case for whatever he is hemorrhaging about but I happened to be in the Capitol when Bohener was walking by (gave him a thumbs up) and when a number of reps were giving interviews. My rep is a Freedom Caucus guy, one of a couple dozen. They look loud but not particularly powerful.

Said hello to Mark Sanford, stephen's old SC in the underground tunnel.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:48 am

Other than some of the same old theme, with slightly divergent pathways, which Fox continually trumpets, there's not much in this post that is coherent enough to understand clearly. You need a wall chart to track the connections he wants to make. Attempts to tie this into some kind of organized SBC plot to take over the world are nonsense. Get rid of that, and you might have a framework, with some editing of grammar and syntax, for a discussion. I don't know who Stephen will blame for all the evil in the world when Pressler passes on.

I'm not sure what the Freedom Caucus is "winning." Collectively, the Southern Baptists who are running for the GOP nomination aren't even garnering two percent of the potential vote. Kevin McCarthy basically torpedoed the advantage that the GOP has used to try to pound on Hillary. Gowdy's committee had already been resorting to obfuscating and delaying. The DNC is probably having a hard time keeping enough champaign in stock to pop the corks at the fountain of good news that comes almost daily from the GOP Primaries and from Congress, at least from their perspective.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Thornton and Sanford

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:32 pm

One of my friends from Furman pastor's school who had some interesting Milliken days as a pastor in Union SC was a classmate of Sanford, but I never met him. His Coastal collaegues Chip Campsen and sister were leading fundies in the attempt to entangle Furman in the 90s.; then the niece and daughter became Miss SC and Campsen who I vaguely knew at Furman class of 78 married a Baptist preacher and was a rgular on Phil Mahre for a while.

I concede some of my posts may appear scattershot to Sandy and Thornton, if they were true scholars of this matter as I am, and did the background reading which I have trumpeted most recently to be Wuthnow's Rough Country, they would not dismiss me so cavalierly.

I am satisfied they both have the intelligence to get the picture if they would just open their eyes, do the necessary reading, and weren't so stubborn in their fundamentalist inerrant ways!!!! :brick: :brick: :brick: :wink: :wink: :wave: :wave: :wave: :gavel: :gavel: :gavel:

Stephen Fox

Marilynne and Barack

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Sandy

Thanks with a caveat

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks to Sandy for a considered response. I guess now we are waiting on Thornton to blog about Wuthnow and share with one of his most avid readers, Jerry Vines.

One reservation about Sandy's articulate response, even fairly thorough; is no one on this board except me appears to have read the Thomas Powers excellent review of Wuthnow at nybooks.com print issue only.

To say the least his exhaustive review comes to a much different conclusion than Sandy.

Sandy chose an interesting sentence from Wuthnow. My fave what I consider in the long run to be the most telling about Criswell and the SBC Takeover legacy is the infamous Atwater Memo which I think I have linked somewhere on this board. With that as a takeoff the takeover and how it flavored the politics of the South is not sanguine at all but chocked full of mendacity and suppression and Pressler's oil money.

For the latest listen to the Missouri Senator, the one who stayed by Clarence Thomas in the Anita Hill hearings a couple days ago on the Diane Rehm Show, drshow.org

I hope to attend Furman homecoming next weekend and be there Thursday for the chat with Princeton's Cornel West on religion and politics. Will report for sure if I make it to the gathering.

Stephen Fox

Criswell and Atwater in Wuthnow

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:27 pm

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2014_12_01_archive.html

Scroll down about three blogs at Dec 2014 for the Revelations.

Stephen Fox

Bill Moyers has my back in this conversation

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Thanks with a caveat

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Sandy

Pressler and Ben Ghazi

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:24 pm

See my report on Blumenthal in History section.

And Sandy you are mistaken, the Powers review at nybooks.com is spot on and carries the day on Wuthnow

Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues