[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Kentucky Clerk Jailed

Kentucky Clerk Jailed

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Kentucky Clerk Jailed

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:13 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:19 am

The new Al Sharpton.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:45 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:18 am

If the form is changed to not have her name on it I would think some regulation in KY would have to change. I'd also think she should be responsible for the cost of replacing the forms. But primarily I think she should quit because she is refusing to do her job. Religious freedom doesn't guarantee that you get to keep a job in which your religion conflicts with the duties of the job.

I see this as a case of her religious views putting an undue burden on everyone else around her just so she can get her way and keep her job.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 am

Timothy, you sound vindictive. Judges and KY state officials are capable of deciding what is and what isn't a valid license. If her office serves the public in accord to relevant statutes I see no reason to grind her into the dirt because she has the same objection that millions of others do. She's been slut-shamed, something completely irrelevant to the story. I suspect you have more Christian love and compassion for your congregation and community than you have shown here. Most of us find it easy to lower the boom on folks distant to us. I do.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:16 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:23 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:32 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:35 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Big news in Bama with Rick n bubba

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm

See my blog link on the Rick N buba post at yellowhammer enws on facebook. Or click on my latest blog with a click on blog link foxofbama.

Rick N Bubba and Cliff Simms and the whole network that goes to the heart of SBC IMBS David Platt is at work in Bama Babdiss ideology.

Rick n Bubba are yahoo force in the state.

Pressler and Albert Lee Smith's legacy in Bama.

See my blog
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Lou » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:52 am

One component of this situation that I don't think I've seen addressed here is this: Mrs. Davis would have been required to swear an Oath of Office before officially holding her County Clerk position. I was able to locate on the Kentucky state legislature's official website a copy of the Oath that Mrs. Davis presumably would have sworn, which I've linked below. (It was, to use Stephen's oft-used phrase, 'easily googled.')

Among other things, Mrs. Davis would have sworn to "faithfully execute the duties of [her] office without favor, affection or partiality, so help me God." Therefore, her conscientious refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples puts her in an untenable position, since that refusal requires her to violate the scriptural command against swearing falsely (while invoking the name of God, at that!).

So--all legal wrangling and political posturing aside--since Mrs. Davis cannot conscientiously do something that she swore in God's name she would do as long as she holds office, the biblical thing for her to do is to resign.

Lou

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:04 am

Sandy

Bill Leonard putting things in perspective

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:49 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues