From Politico 8/19/15

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: From Politico 8/19/15

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 pm

There's a big difference between traveling across an ocean on a ship, and building a wall through mountains. The latter is much more expensive. The Republicans essentially want to keep cutting taxes, and spending on everything except the military. I don't doubt that a wall could be built, and maintained, and enough security provided to keep most Mexicans and Central Americans on the other side of the border, but that's an infrastructure cost of incredible magnitude, and the question must be asked, first of all is the benefit it would provide worth it, and second, is it the most effective way to deal with the problem. And the third question, asked by Jeb Bush, is "Where is the money going to come from?" Good question, especially if you are proposing to further reduce the taxes that the wealthy already dodge through a convoluted system of tax breaks, abatements and deductions designed to shift the burden to the middle class.

Yeah, I'll buy that the DMZ between North and South Korea is quite a barrier. Of course, the cost of maintaining it, particularly on the North side to keep the population from draining to the South, is astronomical, and a major drain on the North Korean economy. But it's a different policy that greets those who make it through, or around, the DMZ into South Korea. They don't consider North Koreans as an immigration problem, they are treated as refugees and given political asylum.

I do know bigotry when I see it.
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues