[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bernie’s Crowds

Bernie’s Crowds

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Bernie’s Crowds

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 am

While the repugs are getting the lion share of the press coverage with the Trump show and FoxNews debates, Bernie Sanders is attracting the largest audiences at political rallies of any candidate. The mainline press is not emphasizing that (hint: they are owned/controlled by businesses {and their advertising dollars} who do not want Bernie as President).

and as such the polls show him leading in New Hampshire .

Oregon is liberal and New Hampshire is conservative (but next door to Bernie’s home state). We just might have a real chance at unseating Hillary and maybe save our democracy of,by,for the People.

The Repugnants are of,by,for big business/deregulation all trying to out conservative each other (possible exception John Kasich).

BTW, Trumps’s largest turnout has been at Phoenix although Donald claimed The truth is not in that man. Sanders got
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Bernie’s Crowds

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Well, but the Democrats aren't 1 to 1. There are, what, five announced candidates, and Biden still thinking about it.

When it comes down to it, if you've paid attention to the candidates, basically the Republican field says mostly the same thing, harping on culture war issues and advocating for government-controlled morality while the voters press for action on job creation, health care reform, gun control, accessibility to higher education, a "fair" tax code, racial tension, and a system that is slanted and tilted toward the one percenters. Bernie has a different message. I'm a bit surprised by his turnouts, since he doesn't really have any money to speak of, but in and of itself, that's refreshing. It seems there are a lot of people who are tired of money-driven politics. And it seems like he's got the ear of the "under 35" voting block, which is heavily Democratic. If they turn out in anywhere near the numbers they did in 2008 and 2012, it will benefit whomever the Democrats nominate.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Ed: Keith when you quote me please retain the context of what I have said. I confess I did error when I indicated that the Democratic contest is one on one (Clinton & Sanders), you however falsely accuse me of providing a "Trumped' up stat. It was a wrong stat yes but it was not trumped up I simply did not consider that there where other Demo candidates (my bad). In truth when you called me on it I had to Google "Democratic candidates for president" to find out how many there are and who they are.

If I go up the road to Saratoga for a horse race I only care about the first three, those are the only ones with a pay out. Keeping my fingers crossed that American Pharoah will run up there in the Travers. :wink:

BTW, I watched some clips of Sanders this morning and like he handles himself. However I think his free college tuition bit, is a bad Idea because it would kill most private colleges and universities. And have you ever looked at the cost of living in Vermont. As it is Vermont, despite its beauty, retains around only 20 % of its college graduates. And largely due to taxes they are above the national average in every cost of living factor.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't see what Vermont's tax structure has to do with Bernie Sanders' candidacy. He did not serve in the state legislature that passed their current finance plan. The only office he held in Vermont prior to going to the US House was Mayor of Burlington.

As far as attendance at campaign rallies goes, it's not like there's a party line around the venues across which only members of one party can go. People can go to more than one rally of more than one candidate, and they can cross over to the other side as well. I'm not aware of a statistical correlation between the size of early campaign crowds and actually getting elected, though notably both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama drew larger crowds to their rallies early on than either their inner party primary rivals or their Republican opponents.

Sanders does not fit the stereotypes of strictly partisan candidates, and I think that has a lot of appeal. And he's proving, at least early on, that you don't necessarily need a pile of money to conduct a campaign.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues