[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is SBC endorsing Jeb Bush in Nashville?

Is SBC endorsing Jeb Bush in Nashville?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Is SBC endorsing Jeb Bush in Nashville?

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Is SBC endorsing Jeb Bush in Nashville?

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:42 am

Nope.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

I think Todd Starnes disagrees with William

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm

ABP link to follow. Starnes is getting showcased at FBC Spartanburg in September in their annual Tea Party ralley masquerading as religious conviction.

https://baptistnews.com/ministry/people ... ist-church

Two items likely not to be discussed in Nashville and Spartanburg

1. Jonathan Merrits interview with Billy Graham

2. Robert Wuthnow's Rough Country with the Lee Atwater Memo and WA Criswell's convening power.

3 Molly Worthen's Apostles of Reason

4 Marilynne Robinson's exquisite essay in Christian Century on Faith and Secularism lack of imagination

Stephen Fox

Postby Lou » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:06 pm

(edited)

Sorry, Stephen, but I'm not making the connection. I didn't see a single mention of Jeb Bush in the article you linked, so I'm having a hard time understanding how it constitutes an endorsement of your premise. And in any case, Jeb isn't exactly a Tea Party darling; the Tea Partiers might rally to his banner simply as a matter of pragmatism if he ends up being the GOP nominee, but it's way too early in the game to be making assumptions of that sort.

I do award you bonus points, however, for promising a list of two items and then making the list 4 items long. Sort of reminds me of how we preachers say, "Just one more thing, and then I'll close..." and then preach on for 15 more minutes. :wink:
Lou

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Lou

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Stephen is just on a jag where he connects a bunch of people in his own mind and then spews it all on us. No big deal.

Executive summary of the Nashville thing:

1. SBC mission board has a church planting conf Aug 3,4
2. 12,000 or so are registered. It is the single largest SBC event of the year.
3. Russ Moore, ERLC head has a conf in Nashville, Aug 5
4. Moore invites several candidates (including Hil) to appear with him for Q & A and is given a spot at the church planting conf on Aug 4. Why waste a good crowd?
5. Rubio and Bush agree to come. No one else.
6. Not a few SBs are displeased that the CP conference has been seemingly politicized.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Criswell Convening power

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:34 pm

You fellows are starting to figure it out. I'm glad there was some intervening comments before William weighed in. I think he is about to get the pcitrue.

Wuthnow's Rough Country can take it home for you if you really want to understand; if not take you all the way home, get you closer to the neighborhodd for sure. Also see the Thomas Powers review in NY Re vooks or nybooks.com, print issue only, last October.

Find the Wuthnow index, Again Criswell convening power and the Atwater memo with Biblical imagination and a cursory knowledge of Baptist history the last 30 years, Pressler, Helms and what not will help.

I hope Bill Moyers and I aren't the only ones that understand now that our friend James Dunn has gone to Glory.

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:55 am

Sandy

Again Sandy

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:21 am

You are a little behind the curve for failure to read Wuthnow's Rough Country and the nybooks.com Tom Powers review. As such as eloquent as your response may be it remains ill informed

Stephen Fox

Re: Again Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Oil money is old news. Wuthnow has the latest examination of the larger legacy of Criswellismand that is why it is important many folks in the Baptist world besides me should take him seriously instead of dilly dallying around with the old shibboleths. He is very much worth everybodys time who participates on this board. I don't know how to say it any stronger as some would say Ive already pushed the boundary of obnoxiousness

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Sandy

different than 2004?

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:58 pm

If nothing else indicates key point of recent Baptist history, the true design of Pressler and Helms in the Takeover. Maybe Franklin Graham will take up slack Russ Moore has loosened on the rope:

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2015/ ... need-bush/

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues