[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - News Sources

News Sources

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

News Sources

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:40 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: News Sources

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd be interested in seeing how Wikipedia would do concerning the same stories.

But as anybody who has read these forums knows, the perception of fact vs.whopper is not prone to unanimity.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:28 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:26 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:51 pm

When news is driven solely by the profit motive, it will give people whatever keeps them glued to a channel so they can be delivered to the advertisers. That's why I often like to get news from the BBC and sometimes from NPR.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:43 pm

One thing I like about world news from the BBC is that it is not all America-centric. It's also not all centered on Britain.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Agreed. One of my main complaints about my sillyphone is that when I try to use it to read the news, it prioritizes Fox, and also presents it in a phone-unfriendly format that is hard to read even when I want to.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:47 am

Ed: Keith what do you KNOW about the folk behind Punditfact, and and the parent Politifact ? I am not finding much. But I did live in Tampa for a few years. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I guess my determination of the trustworthiness of news sources is related to the dependence on commerce and business for the delivery of the news. Advertising dollars have a strong influence on the content of "news" and the determination of what is newsworthy. Sometimes it isn't necessarily a matter of what is fact or not, but how the facts are presented. Some broadcasters, like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, and their train of wannabees, are paid residuals to slip "news" items that are really paid propaganda into the text of their programming. Though such payments are a matter of public record, few of their listeners are probably interested in knowing where the money came from or what was paid and what was part of his actual broadcast text. Those programs aren't news sources, though.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, if I'm in the car or listening to radio, my news of choice is NPR. Most conservatives think it has a liberal bias, but really, anything that doesn't agree with their perspective is marked as "liberal." NPR is actually about as close to neutral as you can get in broadcasting. Their human interest broadcasts are pretty engaging as well, dealing with real problems faced by real people. During the day, at work, I'm usually tuned in on line to Pacifica (http://pacifica.org.). Independent, not for profit media is the best source of factual news.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:08 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Made a mistake, the LED replacement kit for $25 was reeky 2 replacement LEDs with interfacing fixtures. The the payback period is now 17.7 months.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:46 pm

I was probably a weird kid, but growing up in the sixties and having a shortwave receiver, I liked to listen to the combination of news from Radio Moscow and the Voice of America. Then I figured the truth was somewhere in-between. That was worth the time and effort in those days. I do not spend time with any of the cable news shows. As for ET's protest about the Pistorious story--it was simply another expression of our preoccupation with celebrities, especially those who are in trouble. That was a bout as newsworthy as Lindsey Lohan's latest admission to rehab.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:44 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:00 pm

ET

Re: News Sources....Al Jazeera

Postby ET » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 pm

ET

Re: LEDs

Postby ET » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:49 pm

ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm

ET, when you swing from the chandelier, be certain to post the pictures.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:44 am

ET

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues