[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Obama’s Budget

Obama’s Budget

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Obama’s Budget

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:28 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Obama’s Budget

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:39 am

Seems like the budget does meet the parameters Republicans have been talking about--everything's paid for, plenty of spending cuts in social programs. About the only thing the GOP doesn't seem to like is that it is taking a step toward putting the tax burden back where it belongs. The approach of the President seems to be to put things forward, whether there's a chance of them getting passed or not, and then very publicly offer the Republicans the opportunity to put forth their own plan if they don't like the one the President has proposed. Whether that gets anything passed or not, it puts the GOP in the position of having to do something. I don't think it will take the country's voters very long to get really tired of the Boehner-McConnell Congress, which already sits at a less than 20% job approval rating.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

Thankfully, it doesn't come up with some massive reduction in Social Security or another privatization Ponzi scheme.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:45 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:39 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:14 am

If the cap were lifted on contributions to $250,000 annually (indexed to inflation), Social Security would have real money. Also, if administrations would keep their hands out of the trust funds, there would be much more there for more generations. Isn't this where Bush 43 borrowed for his wars?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Keith knows better. Ponzi means there are no actual funds and 'investors' are paid with new 'investor' funds.
My SS deposit comes from gummit current revenues and borrowing, not any invested accounts.

I don't think there is any chance of major change, just higher taxes and diminishing benefits.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Advocacy site Keith. So, SS surplus buys gummit bonds, loans money to pay current obligations with 'guarantee' to repay self in future with...gummit funds. Shell game. I'm not a SS doomsdayer, BTW. As long as gummit can tax, they will send the checks. I predict that a way will be found to manipulate the indexing and obligate gummit in future to repay with less valuable dollars than those paid in.

But all this is a sideshow.

Would you mind explaining how privitazation could be defined as a Ponzi scheme?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:47 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:16 am

William is right in the sense that the trust fund began with little in it and relied in the beginning on worker contributions to fund benefits. However, since WWII, the fund has built considerable reserves. My biggest problem is that a "trust fund" speaks of an inviolability for those funds. The problem is that Congress can't keep its cotton pickin' hands off the funds and leave them in trust.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues