[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - American Sniper as the legacy of Ed Young

American Sniper as the legacy of Ed Young

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

American Sniper as the legacy of Ed Young

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:52 pm

http://www.alternet.org/belief/right-wi ... ian-values

Ed Young Jr interviewed Chris Kyle for his 2012 Churchwide celebration of Freedom. Young is the son of former SBC Prez Ed Young, at one time Paul Pressler's pastor coming to 2nd Houston from FBC Columbia and from there FBC Taylors S.C. where he embraaced the performance ministry of the Billy Graham organization. Also it was at Taylors where it appears Young embraced Nixonian politics.

At FBC Columbia Young became enchanted with the world of Nixon Southern Strategist Harry Dent, they incested into a network of BGEA and SBC politics. Young at FBC Columbia brought on his staff James Deloach, who had designs on the Dome of the Rock.

So it staands to reason the younger young would salute Kyle in this fashion.

Bradley Cooper made reference to the young/kyle interview on NPR yesterday.

Cooper 's next to be released film is Serena, a Ron Rash novel.

Rash understands Bonhoeffer better than the Ed Youngs and Franklin Graham; maybe that should be the next NPR interview, a foursome, maybe Ed Young and Rash, Mike Huckabee and Charles Marsh.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Harris County of Pressler, Bush and Ed Young

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:03 pm

From 1966 it still resonates with obvious implications for the History of the fundamentalist takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention. How did Paul Pressler's family play in the House race of 1966 in Harris County?

https://books.google.com/books?id=eR35A ... ty&f=false

Stephen Fox

Re: Harris County of Pressler, Bush and Ed Young

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:06 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Interesting coagulation

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Jim Deloach, chair of the SEBTS trustees that ousted Lolley, Harris County History with the Birchers, matter of record,; then it all assimilates the nexus of Ed Young, Harry Dent and the BGEA; you have to concede it's a lot more to go than an average episode of X Files......The matter to resolve is how did Pressler come to embrace the Bush family given his family history with the Texas Right Wing, and Bushes trying to move the GOP out of Texas Wacko land of Criswell and the Hunt Brothers. Ho assmimlated whom is the question in the uneasy alliance that got Bush 41 to offer the Ethics job to Pressler in 1990?

I doubt Rice's Chandler Davidson would call such explorations nonsense!!

Plus all this equates into another reason Dr. Thornton is gonna love Exiled Generations. The last testimony is by Don Wilkey who comes to many of the same conclusions Tom Powell came to in his Oct 9 review of Wuthnow's Rough Country in nybooks.com

Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: American Sniper as the legacy of Ed Young

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Stephen, send me an autographed copy for my hard labor on yo' behalf.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Sandy

Sandy whining, Not Reading

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Sandy, I can't do the remedial reading for you and Thornton. We've been having this conversation on and off for ten years or more now.

The latest is the Oct 9 nybooks.com Thomas Powers review or Rough Country. I've read that and in the meantime the book.

Pressler's Harris County was a cauldron of the Birch Society. His Dad as a vp of Exxon was in the thick of it. Pressler has massaged himself in and out of the far right to the right edges of the Bush GOP through Rove and Richard Land, but his heart has been think as has been his family with the TExas Rebulars, the Bircher Society, and the edges of the White Citizens County; as is Crisweell's element in the 60s at FBC Dallas.

Harry Dent is smoother than the Birchers that shaped the world view of Pressler and his family in Harris County; but Dent was formed in the race politics of Strom Thurmond. See the Atwater memo in Rough Country, Dent being a major influence on Atwater.

Chandler Davidson knows of all this, and sources there and Austin talk about Pressler's family in the 60's disgruntlement with Carlyle Marney's time at FBC Austin in the 50s.

So do the reading. Talk to Bill Moyers. See the network Joe Ferguson outlined in the early 80s in his political bio of Jesse Helms.

The fundamentalist takeover of the SBC leadership sucked when it came to the Civil Rights era. Own your history. It just don't happen that Albert Lee Smith, Curtis Caine, Ed McAteer,, a shadowy group at Vine West Rome BC, didn't have a lot more than inerrancy in mind in the takeover; and the cauldron has morpehed itself now into the "politics of stupidity" in which Ed Young Jr. now flourishes.

Please rad Thomas Powers before you respond. I'm beggin you. You've embarrassed yourself too much and it's becoming unseemly!

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Interesting that neither Pressler, nor Ed Young, nor any of the "fundamentalist" Southern Baptists you mention were in any position of leadership in the SBC during the civil rights era. I don't recall that the leadership of the convention at the time distinguished itself in any significant, positive way during that time, either as a denomination, or on behalf of those fighting for civil rights. There are a few isolated cases, not many. On the other hand, the SBC has a pretty solid record of progress with regard to the role of African Americans, and other minorities, within the denomination, over the past 30 years, and to make that statement, I don't have to resort to dubious connections and imaginary influences. I can just point to the record. It's not perfect by any means, but it is sure better than it was prior to 1979.
Sandy

A Criswell Reminder

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:08 pm

http://jsr.fsu.edu/Volume10/Freeman.pdf

At some point I think ihave posted the letter Stewart Newman sent to Criswell in 68

Foy Valentine's CLC was major point of dissatisfaction for Pressler. Most of it in 60s was about race. Sandy you are pitifully talking out your rear end in the false comparsison you are making that hs been documented to hades and back the in historical time the fundy leadership of the takeover was draggin in the Civil Rights era.

Stephen Fox

Criswell and Atwater Memo

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:10 pm

See the report on History site of this forum, Sandy

Stephen Fox

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Sandy, the courage of individual pastors and some other leaders led to several dismissals of those who tried to be more racially inclusive. There was a great hue and cry for the head of Dr. Henlee Barnett, Professor of Christian Ethics at SBTS, because he invited Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., to speak to his classes. I'm afraid that the civil rights record was pretty muted even where pastors spoke out because of the legacy of racism in the South, the continuing existence of Jim Crow laws which if one spoke against them was branded sedition in some states, and the fact that some highly prominent SBC pastors like W A Criswell were still staunch advocates of segregation from their pulpits. I remember in 1966 being a member of First Baptist in Jefferson City, TN, when a student came to Carson-Newman College from the Nigerian Mission Field and wanted to join the church. There was a great backlash among some of the members. Dr. Wade Darby, my pastor then, had to remind the congregation that this young man was the product of their prayers and gifts for missions for generations. Not to receive him was tantamount to rejecting 100 years of our missionaries. He was accepted, but it was a close vote. I give thanks for the progress being made now, but it took lots of these events to get the SBC where it is today. Still, the most rabid anti-Obama rhetoric comes from Southern church members.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Two books Sandy has not read

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:32 pm

And probably will not read cause he's content with his delusions about fundamentalism and the race history of takeover leaders

Robert Wuthnow's Rough Country

Joe Crespino's Strom Thurmond's America.

Ed Young is not a racist, but all along he drug his feet gaining stature with the likes of Nixon's Harry Dent, who confessed of his race sins shortly before he died. Sandy is smart enough to distinguish between those who tried to nudge the South in the right direction, and the demagogues if not in the pulpit in the shadows of the major leading Fundy takeover leadership kicking and screaming to wherever we are now

Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:23 am

Stephen's post sets the context for the discussion here. As usual, he drops names, and makes connections and implications through subject titles in a "connect MY dots" kind of way that is misleading and inaccurate.

Stephen goes to great lengths to tie the conservative resurgence in the SBC to all sorts of conspiracies and plots, mostly by making implications and linking unrelated citations together. The time period and definitions you are seeking from me is in his context. If you want further clarification, wade through his suggested reading list sometime. I'm just pointing out some of the obvious facts he is missing.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues