[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Envy in a Time of Inequality

Envy in a Time of Inequality

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Envy in a Time of Inequality

Postby ET » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: Envy in a Time of Inequality

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:53 pm

There is one major fallacy, ET, in your last paragraphs. The reason that the percentage rose for the higher earners was that the country was in a deep recession that cut severely the income of the middle class. Therefore, their percentages of the tax bite of government was reduced.

To wish for a better equity ratio for the workers is not, at least for me, a matter of envy. I don't want to have to think whether I have five or six homes right now or whether my wife has 2 or 3 Cadillacs. At the same time, to question the ratio of distribution does not mean that I think all are greedy, but too many free market capitalists try to baptize Ayn Rand as though her approach matches Jesus. It certainly does not.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Lots of wealthy people do lots of wonderful things with some of their wealth. A few of them put the overwhelming majority of their dollars to truly good use. And the poor are probably not any less prone to envy than the rich are to greed.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:40 pm

And I would add that the poor, or middle class, are no less prone to greed than corporate CEOs or other high income individuals especially when it is held out that the poor have a means of forcing transfer of wealth to their benefit.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues