[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Midterm elections

Midterm elections

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Midterm elections

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:15 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

Lou

Locally in Skyway

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:35 am

The partisan measures on our ballot are looking like this (late ballots may cause some changes in numbers, but probably not in winners; the Class Size Initiative is the only one close enough to be much of a candidate for change):

Max Gun Rights - 55% NO
Background Checks - 60% YES
Limit Class Size - 51% NO
House District 9 - Adam Smith 69%
Maintain Marijuana Taxes - 53% YES
Maintain Tribal Taxes - 54% YES
State Senate District 37 - Pramila Jayapal 67%
State House Dist 37 Pos 1 - Sharon Tomiko-Santos 85%
State House Dist 37 Pos 2 - Eric Pettigrew 85%

The last one, Eric Pettigrew, is the one where I voted for Tamra Smilanich or something, a no-party-preference real estate agent, rather than the Democratic incumbent. She only got 15%. Note the distinguished name of our Democratic incumbent congressman.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Sometimes Republicans interpret my posts to think I'm a Democrat. I'm a former Eisenhower/Rockefeller Republican whose party started leaving him in 1964 who turned Independent. If I have a political hero today, it's probably Senator Bernie Sanders of VT.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:25 pm

I agree with Dave on Bernie Sanders, and I like Elizabeth Warren a great deal as well.

As for the election results, I knew it was an uphill battle since I'm told the mid-terms almost always go to the minority party, but I did hope to see more Dems elected. On the other hand, I was a volunteer for the Nunn/Carter campaign, and those heading it up were clearly building a base for the 2016 elections, taking the long view while doing all they could for this year.

In the interim, I expect primarily gridlock.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:53 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:29 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Carter Sunday School and Yesterday's Wave/Fox Blog

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I posted earlier today at www.foxofbama.blogspot.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Stephen Fox

Me and Molly Worthen

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Between my rambling in places obscurantist blog of today, and Molly Worthen's eloquence and brilliance yesterday in the NY Times, We Nail It:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/opini ... pe=article

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:32 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:08 pm

So, if you think that yesterday's election was a "referendum" on Obama, then you must be against these things.

Reduction of the budget deficit, something that Republicans said a thousand times, but W never really got around to doing, Obama has accomplished.

An increase in domestic oil production. (Remember "Drill Baby Drill"? Well, Baby is drilling.) The resulting gas prices are now the lowest since 2005.

Disengagement from the most useless, pointless war in American history, and cutting losses and getting out of Afghanistan, which is a waste of time and energy, saving the budget three trillion dollars.

The world's number one terrorist, Osama Bin Laden, is dead as a result of this administration's policies and orders.

Unemployment that has fallen to well below 6%, and will be around 5% by mid 2015. Consistent job growth for more than 60 months

A stock market that has made record gains in the past 5 years, reached its highest points ever, and has recovered from its worst performance since the depression, due to economic policy and the President's appointments to the fed.

Successful programs which bailed out auto makers, helped them turn profitable, and increased employment in auto production by 15%.

The lowest increase in insurance rates in 25 years. More people on health insurance than ever before.

I guess a vote for the Republicans was a vote against all of these things, since they were brought about by this administration's policies.
Last edited by Sandy on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:26 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:58 am

From my perspective, the Democrats made a bad mistake in their tactics. They tried to run away from Obama's record instead of running on it and defending it. That allowed Republicans to set the agenda for the discussion instead of being able to craft one of their own. I thought that was a mistake from the start like moderates in the SBC letting conservatives craft all the debates.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:59 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:39 am

Sadly, we have a minority government again, as is often true after midterm elections. Estimates run as high as 60% of American citizens did not vote. What a tragedy for all of us that the majority is uninvolved in such decisions.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:00 am

The narrative we're getting is that the electorate (a) is not sophisticated enough to recognize the President's brilliance and successful policies, (b) there's too much free speech spending on political messaging by rich conservatives, and (c) the electorate is ignorant, apathetic and uninvolved or they would see things like the liberal elitists see them and vote like good citizens.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:30 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:42 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:44 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org