[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Meanwhile, here in Texas...

Meanwhile, here in Texas...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Meanwhile, here in Texas...

Postby Lou » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Lou

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Sandy

Postby Lou » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Sandy, every article I've read states that none of the five named pastors is party to the pertinent lawsuit. See paragraph 5 in the Houston Chronicle linked below, which is a typical example of the Houston area news coverage of the issue:

I've yet to see any legitimate news source say anything to the contrary. I'll gladly read any links you might post to articles which state otherwise.
Lou

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Sandy says "While that may be legal, it is unethical for a pastor to depart from his gospel interpretation, and get involved in political speech. Then, I'd say his sermons were fair game."

Ed: I have to say When politicians are using unethical tactics to promote themselves and the agendas of supporters with deep pockets I find nothing wrong with Pastors calling them on it. In fact I believe it is their duty. If they can support their case.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Sandy, are you aware that the subpoenas sought the pastor's teaching on sexuality and gender identity?

Do you not see how this could have a chilling effect on what a pastor teaches and preaches? What if black clergy teaching on miscegenation was subpoenaed back in the day there were laws against such?

Frankly, the Houston mayor has provided a service to religious freedom by being so stupid in this.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 am

Sandy, have you ever been sued, deposed, served with subpoenas for a raft of stuff? Do you grasp the concept that gummit (and big bidness, insurance companies, etc.) is known to use the legal process as a means of intimidation, harassment, and in order to exhaust the resources of those it seeks to crush

We should, however, sen her honor the mayor flowers for her service in uniting the entire religious spectrum. Every stripe of clergy is on board but I have a fondness for contrarians.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am

I seriously doubt that all of the religious spectrum is on board with this. Remember, I'm from Houston, and I could start naming churches that I know for sure would be heart and soul behind the mayor.
Sandy

See my response to this blog

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:13 pm

http://dannychisholm.wordpress.com/2014 ... omment-325

SBC Peace Committee's Chuck Pickering Alliance Defending Freedom and Mike Huckabee show are having a field day with this one.

see www.IStandSunday.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Lou » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Lou

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org