[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Living wage meets the real world

Living wage meets the real world

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Living wage meets the real world

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:35 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:43 am

All the big box stores have the effect as far as I can see of depressing local economies and killing off small businesses. What competition there is occurs between WalMart and Target, not WalMart and the locally owned department store (remember those?). And wherever possible WM locates outside city limits so it doesn't contribute to the tax base of the city that the dying store is located in, yet siphons off the dollars of consumers who live in the city. I have yet to spend a dollar in an American WalMart (I did spend some pesos in a Mexican one that had a different name) and I hope to die in the same condition. But I'm the exception.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:29 am

Oh, please... :roll: if I have ill feelings about mod/libs I'll take a couple of aspirin.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Too late...went to the biggest of big box monster corporate stores and bought aspirin from Big Pharma mega-multinational company. I'm fine now...thank you very much. I recommend you do the same.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 pm

ET

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 pm

If you're really concerned about small business, your real enemy isn't a higher minimum wage. It's Wal Mart, and other corporate retailers. When they move into a community, they destroy the small business community, which for the most part already pays better than minimum.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:25 pm

ET

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:44 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 am

When the DATA doesn’t suit you guys (ET and David), then blow off the DATA. Go with your gut.

I’d call that delusional.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:29 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:40 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Sandy

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:21 pm

OK, guys, put the scissors down and play nice (as she retreats to the corner where she keeps the fire extinguisher just in case) :D
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby David Flick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:51 am

Yet another example of truncation. Surface air temperatures have been taken from some source since at least 1880. So you have truncated (that means ignored) 86% of the data by plotting only selected data since 1997. Here is a plot of all the data from direct surface air measurements.
Note that temperatures have grown about 0.8C since 1880 (I could truncate early at 1910 and claim a full 1C growth but scientific integrity prevents that).

David can be forgiven for not knowing that this past September was the hottest September in history according to the direct surface measurements. This story was just announced yesterday.
Image.

Here is all of the data from the satellite source David plotted. Satellite data begun in 1979 and is thus fairly recent.

This is the satellite data as reduced by Remote Sensor System (RSS) of Santa Rosa. Look at the third column showing both hemispheres which is appropriate. What is not appropriate is that David’s “source” started the plot in 1997 not in 1979 when the data series started. Thus David's “sources” have truncated even that time-limited data purposefully. Since 1979 until today the temperature has grown from -0.223C to +0.206C (that is a growth of 0.429C which is over half the growth since 1880). Here is the latest data from the other data reducer of the satellite data - UAH’s Roy Spencer. To his credit he plots it all.

It too shows a temperature growth of 0.44C (end of red lines). Why don’t you plot that David?? I know you know of this data source.

And one can notice that the GISS data agrees - there has been a 0.43C increase since 1979 (look at ends of red lines in first plot above).

Thus there is no scientific disagreement, just dishonest plotmanship from the kind of “sources" David visits.

You see David’s “sources” have concentrated on the very recent surface air temp “hiatus” period ignoring the long term issue away. That approximately 0.8C (=1.44F) rise in surface air temperature since 1880 is sinking into the earth system causing a number of ill effects. For example, the oceans continue to warm w/o any signs of a “hiatus” in the 1997- 2014 period and has become more acidic, facts David has never even acknowledged.

I’m not of the mood to ROTFL. It is not a laughing matter. I’m more of the mood - lets get on with fixing the problem ASAP.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues