[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - US Begins Bombing in Syria

US Begins Bombing in Syria

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

US Begins Bombing in Syria

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Reported by MSNBC about an hour ago.
Sandy

Re: US Begins Bombing in Syria

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm

When will we ever learn.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 am

We are so wrapped up in the Middle East that we can't see the forest for the trees. I fear this may be analogous to our Desert Storm strategy to bomb Baghdad. The boots on the ground in Iraq came 12 years later. Are we setting up the next generation to enter another futile war? Haven't there been enough?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

So, what is your thinking here? While I don't have any faith in Obama being able to handle this situation with ISIL, do we just pull back and ignore that part of the world? Let the powers rise and fall as they may?

The questions that come to mind are plenty.........

Do we just ask them to leave us alone? Do we abandon Israel and let Fate take its course? Ask for a group hug and sing "give peace a chance"?

Such folks like ISIL will hate us no matter what we do. After all, there's no a lot of diplomatic options between "convert or die". What concessions are you willing to give them? Are you willing to accept annihilation of the Jewish state? Why should one believe that there is some chance of successful diplomacy with a group of folks who believe the advancement of their cause lies in decapitating civilians for propaganda purposes?

You've got a section of the world inhabited by some fanatics enamored with the imagined glories of their civilization from a thousand years ago and trying to relive it and try as they might, they are complete and utter failures compared to state of Israel that has arisen over the last 50 years. That's gotta stick in their craw.

Do we leave the impotent and morally clueless United Nations to deal with such issues? The Europeans?

The easy part is to condemn such actions and shout "war is not the answer". OK, so how to you plan to deal with such folks? Appeasement and concessions?

Not sure exactly what options are reasonable in dealing with such folks outside of some rather harsh expressions of our distaste for their behavior
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Right now Keith we are hip deep in the problems we've already created. If we just pull out ISIS will totally over run Iraq and who knows what else.

I am no fan at all with this largely GW Bush created problem. But after you screw up someone's country you really can't just then decide to walk away and leave them at the mercy of groups like ISIS who are indiscrimately killing combatants and non-combatants alike.

I agree we shouldn't have been there to begin with. But now don't we have some responsibility to protect the government we helped and insisted on creating?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 pm

You may be right as to the outcome Keith. But remember that Christians differ on the need to some times use military force. I personally subscribe to Just War theory though I'd rather be a pacifist. However I see real life circumstances that don't allow the most powerful nation in the world to stand by, particularly when we are part of the reason the problem exists.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Sandy

Postby ET » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:52 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 am

ET, we threw billions upon billions into rebuilding Iraq and more money, time, and even American lives into training the Iraqi army only to have the Iraq government sell "generalships" to the highest bidder. We provided planes and other weapons that were either not maintained or sold to others who wanted them. My problem now is that I don't see the situation as likely to improve. No matter how bad Saddam was, and he indeed was, his philosophy of government by instilling fear in his enemies seems to be the only one that works in much of that region, alas.

I have too much historical memory of how we spent billions in our resources, and over 40,000 of my generation gave their lives to fight in Vietnam. The problem was that we didn't change the outcome at all or understand the culture that produced the war. We just plowed into it. We plowed into Iraq, and now the US is trying to prevent the collapse of a country that we didn't understand or manage to pacify. We just removed Saddam and left them in worse shape. Unfortunately, another 10 years of boots on the ground would not have resolved the problem of an unstable country.

Democratic traditions do not exist in the Middle East outside of Israel which brought it from the US and Europe. Autocratic and religiously sanctioned rulers are the tradition. They are not heirs to the Greek or Roman models of government. When the Greeks and Romans ruled this area, it was only by force of arms. Democratic institutions were for the folks at home, not the conquered lands. I don't see a likelihood of representative government in that region.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 am

At least we are only using air strikes and from our President are going to destroy ISIL / ISIS completely without ever going to war.

I guess the President knows ISIS / ISIL is at war with us and anyone who stands with us.

I guess one cannot lose a war if they are not in one.

You gotta love that thinking.

jle
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues