Health Care Reform Redux

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Health Care Reform Redux

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 pm

I still favor a Single Payer system “Medicare for All” with it’s 1.5% administrative costs compared to 31% for our current insurance based health care (although I’ve also read our current system admin costs are between 19 and 24%).

But the lies the Republicans make in attacking ObamaCare is truly worthy to be called out as Bill Maher does here

Now, look, I get it that neither party has a monopoly on lying, and in fact they all do it so often, they've invented their own word for it — "I misspoke". But how come the rule for one party — the Republican Party — is that when they get caught in a lie, they don't have to stop telling it?

They said Obamacare would use death panels. It doesn't.

They said it was a government takeover, and the insurance industry is making record profits.

They said it covered illegals. It doesn't.

They said it was a job killer. It hasn't been.

Now for sure, Obama also told a lie when he said everybody who likes their health care plan can keep it. And for about 2% of the population, that did turn out to be false. The difference is, he stopped saying it! He stepped up and said, you're right, my bad, because he understands there's this thing called observable reality. (audience applause)

But on the Republican side, observable reality needs more study. (audience laughter) Which is why their talking points that have been disproven, remain! Like a guest who's been asked to leave a party, but does not.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Health Care Reform Redux

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 am

The reason that 2% of the policyholders were not able to keep their insurance policy, as Obama had stated, wasn't the result of the ACA. It was insurance companies speculating on provisions of the law that didn't exist, changing policies for their own profit. Once it became clear that the law had no effect on existing insurance, that practice stopped.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues