[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Housing Allowances and Social Security

Housing Allowances and Social Security

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Housing Allowances and Social Security

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:06 pm

If the exemption of the ministerial housing allowance is overturned, what is the chance that the exemption from taxing churches on ministerial compensation for Social Security will also be overturned. Churches (in many cases) already pay Social Security payroll taxes on their non-ministerial employees. Isn't the classification of ministers as being self-employed (so that the churches are not directly taxed on that compensation) also a favoring of organized religion that is equally likely to be overturned?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Housing Allowances and Social Security

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 pm

It still seems, William, that the provision is one that directly favors churches in granting them an exemption that is passed on to their ministers. Are there any other employers so exempted in the law???
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:52 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Dave will not be responding, William, as he has given up political posting for Lent, so let me just say on his behalf, you're wrong, just wrong. ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:55 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 pm

The whole tax system related to clergy is a mess. But at the moment I'm not thinking the HA exemption will actually get over turned. If it does I think we should be treated as employees for tax and SSI purposes and the institution should have to pay its half of SSI like everyone else does.

But even that I don't think would save me the tax money because I'm betting a lot of churches would have to cut their salary offerings to make up for what they would then have to pay on the pastor's SSI thereby wiping out any value to the change for the pastor. More congregationalist churches will go bi-vocational and more Methodists preachers will have multi-point charges. I already see circuits growing with a shortage of clergy. This would just speed that up.

Just remember TANSTAAFL. :D
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:18 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 am

Actually, my post about no more responses was my April fool joke.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 am

Keith, you could have gone along with the joke on April Fools Day. Missed your chance.

As I said, you would find considerable support from clergy for bringing churches under the standard SS employer rules. It is in the minister's self-interest which trumps many other considerations.

I think it likely that churches will be increasingly taxed locally. Many are quite large bidnesses with revenue producing activities such as bookstores.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:57 am

I know of churches which simply increase their ordained ministers salaries by the amount of additional SS they have to pay, thus removing the extra tax burden.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Just further proof that we aren't in it for the money. :D
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 am

Along the line of church property being off the tax rolls, I know tax laws vary around the country state by state, and I am just beginning to learn more than I ever wanted to know, getting more involved in local politics and community management. I never thought I would see the day when I would say to myself, "Oh no, not another new church", but the comment is often made by local homeowners. It is often heard in monthly community board meetings by those who are already involved in their own spiritual practices (or lack of interest). People who used to use public transit to get to church on Sundays are no longer able to in most counties in Western Washington because bus companies struggling to balance the budget have stopped Sunday service altogether. Our neighborhood used to have a thriving business core with several grocers within a one mile range and drug stores, gift shops, auto parts, hardware etc. With the coming of "superstores" a few miles down the hill where one can get all their shopping done under one roof- the independent Mom and Pop shops have died out up here on the hill, now we have a number of competing store front churches competing for limited parking space on Sunday and maybe evening services one or two nights a week, the rest of the time shuttered tight. As often as not, these churches feature highly amplified music and spoken word right when a lot of neighbors want to enjoy their day of rest RESTING, not having conversation in their own back yards drowned out by people who may not even live in the neighborhood, just were looking for a cheap space to rent. Definitely a community relations problem
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:52 am

But its just a matter of cogic, dear.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues