[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Sarah Palin and a Broken Clock

Sarah Palin and a Broken Clock

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Sarah Palin and a Broken Clock

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Sandy, labeling me as playing the race card, which you finally admitted you did, was a cheap shot.

Look, the half dozen people here could write each other's comments. We ought to have an upside down day and do that.

If you include the name "Sarah Palin" we all know what's coming.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Ed: Sandy, again you seem to be projecting your own reasoning when you accuse William of playing the race card in his comment about Obama's work as a community organizer. Talk about playing the race card. I have to agree that in my hands on experience supervising "Indigenous neighborhood" workers in Indianapolis we recruited minorities heavily. Because the unemployment rate was rather constantly 3 to 5 time higher in predominantly minority neighborhoods. For a host of reasons, half or more of the population in the target areas did not trust we White honky's who where overseeing a basic education program for adult individuals not functioning at the third grade level in Math and English. The Program had been was designed and for the most part was operated by staff employed by A historic Black Social-work organization in Indy. The organization which still operated as "Flanner House" as it has from it initial Black Settlement house founding near the end of the 19th century . It continues to be going strong. See: http://www.flannerhouse.com/opening_doo ... fault.aspx See also, http://www.flannerhouse.com/about/History/default.aspx For a more exacting picture of the founding.

During my 3 years working in that program I had the pleasure of working with several "Community Organizers" and hold them in high regard. And having followed their careers for some years , I am aware that they had a number of positions before becoming leaders in the larger community of the Indianapolis / Jefferson county "Unigov" model, started under Nixon's favorite Mayor, Richard "Lu-Gar", or properly, Richard Lugar, in the early 70's And I do not think William was demeaning the work of Community organizers but recognizing that generally it is a stepping stone for those interested in a political career, not a catapult to the top of Office in the land.

There are times I really like Obama and I pray for him frequently but I think he got picked before he was ripe.

And Sandy, I have an Idea think that Sarah P. and Al G. may have been chosen as protection for the Presidential candidate's with whom they ran.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:21 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am

Maybe there's lots of presidential timber at these places in Atlanta. Who knew?

I made no argument about obama not having political experience, though he didnt have much. Where is that long record of legislative accomplishment he ran on?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 pm

I've been gone too long from these pages. Have just finished all the boring details of getting a book published, the onset of dementia with both my wife and me, houseguests for this past week and more coming next week, so let me add a couple of musings regarding these posts:
1. I watch Fox News to keep my adrenaline flowing (it works). I often want to post a challenge for one of the almost-divine reporters/analysts/opinionaters to tell us just what would they would have done had they been in Obama's position when they sharply criticized his handling of Korea, Venezuela, Crimea/Ukraine, etc. Blame is easy; better solutions would have enamored them with public praise (which never happens). (The principle applies to posters herein.)
Just for fun: Al Jazeera interviewed Mel Brooks t'other night, and praised him for offering humorous but insightful critiques of racism, anti-Semitism, etc., via funny movies. The interviewer asked Mel what targets he would like to attack today. I honestly thought, "Tell 'em Fox News!" Believe it or not, Mel immediately said, "Fox News!"
2. With the widespread turmoil occasioned by Putin's action with Crimea and Ukraine, I wonder how many of you have a definitive remembrance of Ronald Reagan's action in the invasion of Grenada. Almost every one of Putin's arguments is paralleled by Reagan's explanation for the USA's bombing and invasion of that island. How quickly we forget! (And by the way, there were many casualties during our war-like action . . . including the bombing of a mental health hospital, with 22 fatalities among the patients.)
3. Noteworthy regarding Sarah Palin's attitudes regarding . . . anything:
During a "worship service" in her Baptist church in Alaska, she was appointed, divinely or otherwise, to be a leader of the political arm (one of the seven areas of domination sought by the New Apostolic Reformation). (That's the same outfit that sent several white preachers to Uganda, with resulted in the passage of laws which condemned homosexuality (and same-sex marriage). The original plan was to include the death penalty for participation in that nasty life-style, but was later reduced to life imprisonment. (Ever onward, ever upward . . .)
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Sandy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:50 pm

It's been interesting comparing coverage of the CPAC between Fox, CNN and MSNBC, along with the major broadcast networks. Nothing new is being said by anyone at CPAC, except, remarkably, Newt Gingrich. More than anyone in that crowd, he understands what happens in electoral politics when you continue to harp on themes that people have moved well beyond. He pointed out that if bashing Obama and bashing Hillary Clinton continues to be the theme of conservatives, they are going to lose Congress in November, and the election in 2016. I didn't even see his picture on Fox. MSNBC replayed his remarks and commented on them. CNN brought in two journalists with different perspectives. But then, MSNBC is more interested in factual reporting than style, and CNN really is fair and balanced. The remarks were not well received by the CPAC mob, so Fox didn't bother.

Sarah Palin attends an Assembly of God church in Wasilla, not a Baptist church.
Sandy

Postby Hal Eaton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm

OK, Sandy, so I mis-labeled Sarah Palin's church, but the remainder of the post has not generated any response regarding the similar characteristics of Reagan's invasion of Grenada (1983) and Putin's threat to Crimea-Ukraine, ( Reagan's approval rating spiraled upward after his action . . .) or in recognition of the extreme actions of whole countries under the influence of Bible-spouting preachers.

So much for political history awareness, and fundamentalist inerrancy at work in our society or in our BL.net microcosm.

Or did I expect too much?
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues