[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Subsidies

Subsidies

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Subsidies

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 am

After a brief discussion of how NFL teams are subsidized to the tune of $1B/year, this articles details the subsidies given to:

- Oil and Gas ($10-52B/year from US alone, estimated $500B internationally)
- Fishing Industry ($35B/year)
- Agricultural Businesses ($221B/year, 2/3 to wealthy companies and does not include funding of Monsanto, Dupont in pesticide development)

Do our “free enterprise” brethren herein object? I hoping we might actually agree on this point.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Subsidies

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:08 am

Milk...sugar...clergy...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:47 pm

I like my income exclusion tax break...have never had a subsidy.

The milk and sugar should be ended.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Fine with me, but if you end 'em for one, end them for EVERYBODY.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Clergy us indeed different. The purist in me, says stop the entanglement of religion with any form of government subsidy including housing allowance (strict separation).

I do believe that when some technology is needed but too risky for industry to delve into, Government should subsidize basic research for a period NTE 5 years and license it to industry through competitive procurements for production/distribution.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 am

I don't see the HA as constituting an establishment of religion nor excessive entanglement.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Ed: Keith, I have never heard of Empty Tomb who or what are they?

The stat that reads "the Under-25 years group directed 84% of their giving to "church, religious organizations," is bit convoluted IMHO. 84% of their giving means little w/o knowing what the real numbers of their giving is compare too the other age groups listed.

If they are not using smoke and mirrors I would prefer to see the numbers for each age group provided in the same order.

And as I have previously said, I also have conflicted feeling about the housing allowance due to personal benefit.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Keith, I read the statement you quote in context, that is why I question its value.

I know what they said but I question their motive, That is why I asked about them.

Having worked in co-operation with many groups seeking to "do good and help the poor" I see your statement that "I could quibble but hey any group trying to help the poor is good as far as I'm concerned" as being gullible. I'll ask would that include the SBC. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:07 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:20 am

If there is an end to clergy housing allowance exemptions, then does the government also have to end the housing allowance exemption for other professions--particularly for the military. The original premise for both was that members of both the military and the clergy had to relocate and find housing where they would not have been likely to have lived. It seems the two are bound in their logic at the congressional level.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 am

To answer your question on the military HA, theirs was not challenged in the lawsuit and would not be affected.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Completely different issue, Keith. Gummit didn't single out any certain population to be the beneficiary of their largess as they did with clergy. Also, the great beneficiaries in SS are low income people and system gamers who get far more than they pay in. Any argument for removing the SS tax cap is merely another soak the rich scheme.

It's a good topic but belongs in its own thread.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:45 am

Mass transit subsidies are a colossal boondoggle. Atlanta, gridlocked by a 2inch snowfall, is trying to get big bucks for a trolley service. :roll: The city's mass transit, MARTA, is a notorious money loser this is practically permanently dysfunctional. They once had a board chair that was a public housing resident, i.e. no job, no record of achievement.
No local gummit would spend money this way since taxpayers would see what a waste their money goes to but as a political system that makes some constituencies happy it works fairly well.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 am

Gummit support of oil exploration etc may have a compelling argument. I am not familiar with all the arguments on all the gummit favored industries and occupations as I am with my own.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:01 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 am

Right, got it. Soak the rich.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues