[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Another Big Loophole

Another Big Loophole

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Another Big Loophole

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 am

Robert Reich posted this which is certainly shows another of our loopholes favoring those at the top.

"A big reason why CEOs are about to rake in big year-end bonuses even though their sales are lousy (after all, America’s vast middle class and poor aren’t earning enough to buy much) is CEOs been using their companies’ cash, plus whatever they can borrow at rock-bottom interest rates engineered by the Fed, to buy back their own shares of stock. This maneuver raises the price of the remaining shares, thereby giving the CEOs – whose pay is tied to share prices – huge rewards. This year, the 30 companies listed on the Dow Jones industrial average authorized $211 billion in buybacks, lifting the Dow (and CEO pay) to record heights. This $211 billion could have gone instead to American workers in the form of higher wages – which would have come back to companies in the form of higher sales. McDonald’s, for example, spent $6 billion on share repurchases and dividends last year, the equivalent of $14,286 per restaurant worker employed by the company. It’s a vicious cycle as long as CEO incentives are directed toward raising share prices rather than sales, and as long as the economy is organized around the stock market rather than good jobs."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Another Big Loophole

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am

Why are companies doing this? In part due to gummit actions. The Fed, ACA and others contribute to this.

Companies have no incentive to sit on cash, they would rather invest it where $ can be made. If the bidness climate is such that reinvestment in new products, services, or territory is positive, they would do that. If not then a stock buyback is good for shareholder value, what CEOs are paid for.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 pm

This is another case of the laws being written to favor the rich. The laws are not neutral. They favor the richest Americans (and some of the poorest) at the expense of the Middle Class.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:47 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:18 pm

It appears that this only really benefits the top management, unless I'm completely misreading this. It's another example of laws stacked in favor of the 1%.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 am

All shareholders benefit from a stock buyback, since the pool of total shares is reduced and each share's ownership of tiny slices of the corp is increases a tiny amount. The CEO may benefit both directly and indirectly. If the company BOD believes that move not to be in the shareholders best interest they would certainly sack the CEO, since most board members are major shareholders.

I don't know if Reich made a strong case for CEOs acting not in the best interest of the company.

The gummit could certainly bring guns and seize the money and then benefit some favored group.

I don't suppose reisch explained how he would reorganize the economy around jobs rather than the stock market. Seizing businesses and socializing them would accomplish the latter but the track record of wealth creation and job creation argues against such accomplishing the former.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

It is properly understood as red meat for those who wish to engage on class warfare. Oh those evil rich CEOs.

I would encourage Dave to find some of reisch's "tweak" items and put them up.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:33 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Yeah, what this country needs is a decent war...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues