[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Best books and 2013 and suggestion for Thornton and others

Best books and 2013 and suggestion for Thornton and others

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Best books and 2013 and suggestion for Thornton and others

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:55 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/books ... ml?hp&_r=0

Above is the NY Times top Ten. I have not read any of them.

I am reading Walter Johnson's River of Dark Dreams that I highly recommend to William Thornton and Bruce Gourley. Johnny Pierce should read it to as it comes with strong endorsement of my fellow Furman alum Tomiko Brown-Nagin of Greenwood S.C. and Harvard History Faculty. The Chapter The Carceral Landscape will enhance a viewing of 12 Yrs a Slave which everybody who sees this post should see on the Big Screen.

Google the grand review of Dark Dreams for Lincoln's Long Game in New Republic by Delbanco

Coming up in 2014 is Charles Marsh's long anticipated bio of Bonhoeffer; Randall Balmer's bio of President Carter; and the 4th issue of Charles Kell's Exiled Series. This one features contributions by Molly Marshall, Kate Campbell and yours truly, Stephen M. Fox.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Best books and 2013 and suggestion for Thornton and othe

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Just finished "The Riddle of the Labyrinth" by Margalit FOX, perhaps a distinguished cuz of yours. The book is about Alice Kober's important contributions to the ultimate deciphering of the difficult Linear B script from Crete. Michael Ventris finally cracked the language in 1952. Fascinating book.

I need no man, woman, or child to provide me with a reading list.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Best books and 2013 and suggestion for Thornton and othe

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Just received

About 1/4 way through (only 142 pages) and it is outstanding. He favors Wesley for reasons he clearly states and he has already made the point given in his subtitle.

Dividing time between it and (previously mentioned on BL PPP Forum) and (previously mentioned on BL BF&P Forum).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

The Atlantic's List

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm

I am reading Billy Lynn now and plan to read The Interestings soon as I can get my hands on it.

Certain to read Chunks of Caro on LBJ as I have already

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ar/282018/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues