[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Time to Fix Government

Time to Fix Government

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Time to Fix Government

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:51 am

I am not so naive as to believe whatever government does is good and healthy.

Some ideas about
I’ll add more ACCOUNTABILITY all monitored with of course DATA :wink: to learn what is effective for the common good.

Seriously, this and are very enlightening. It will no doubt anger many - just look at the crudely worded 1-star ratings. Then look at the 5-star ratings. Then look at which ratings had the most helpful reviews. No tweeners on this one.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Time to Fix Government

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:37 am

The "fix" list is the usual laundry list of discarded policies many of which we had sense enough not to enact years ago:

Living wage; eureka, a bureaucrat decides what your pay may be

Free higher education; think of it, free college, all those carefree years paid for by chump taxpayers so you can get a degree in some alleged discipline that includes the word "studies" and make yourself a productive citizen so long as you land a job teaching others such "studies."

Give babies a free $1k at birth, and $500 per year until age five...put it in a lockbox and have it there for the kids retirement six decades later. How long before parents and politicians get the key to that lockbox.

Hyper-progressive taxation; capital gains tax at the same rate as income, disincentivization on steroids; soak the rich early and often

Increase union power; and thereby decrease employment, since unions have interest only in maintaining and improving the lot of their members.

Full employment; kinda like the UMC, every pastor has a church, every church as a pastor. Think job creation for everyone by gummit. Just log on to their website and pick your job.

Prevent companies from entering unfair contracts with employees; Keith's fav...the gummit decides what is unfair and punishes the employees accordingly by cutting pay.

Public financing of elections; repeal the first amendment and let gummit decide who gets to speak to elections.

Proportional representation; just rewrite the constitution to try a parliamentary system. Gummit welfare for fringe parties.

_________

But liberals can dream, can't they?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice caricature, William. How about a little dialogue on the merits of ideas, not just jabs at the ones you don't like. I know, your hero is Reagan--"government is the enemy." By that logic, he should never have become the head then of the highest form of evil. :brick:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Pick one, Dave, your choice. I'll be glad to dialogue.

When I read Keith's title I thought there would be some balanced suggestions. Not so.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:28 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Quick note. Switzerland has no minimum wage. Nor does Denmark, Finland, Germany, Austria, Norway or Keith's favorite, Sweden. Most folks in many of those countries are covered by collective bargaining agreements, however.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Dave asked for dialogue. I said pick one. He picked two - minimum wage and living wage. Discussion apparently ended with my soliloquy on them.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 am

Have a point to make, sandy? Make it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:01 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 am

Sandy

Postby ET » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:38 am

All this chastisement for non-appreciation of gummit strikes me as being so North Korea-ish.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:52 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 am

You bet. I read some of it. Am I now governmentally sanctified?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:02 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:55 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues